Ford announces new F-150 including Hybrid with onboard power but no BEV yet

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I wonder if the OTA updates are for all modules (like Mach-E) or just SYNC.
I was wondering about that too. The reveal event seemed to imply that. Though I don't know if as many components in the F-150 are as cloud connected as the Mach-E?? Maybe so, maybe the PCM and computer systems on the F-150 can be updated via OTA updates. Modern vehicles have basically been movable computers for years.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I wonder if the OTA updates are for all modules (like Mach-E) or just SYNC.
Probably? From Sam Abuelsamid's Forbes.com article:

Perhaps the smartest truck yet

Like all current Ford vehicles, the F-150 includes an embedded 4G LTE connection with a wifi hotspot. In addition to the usual consumer telematics features through FordPass, Ford also offers its commercial telematics package that lets fleet operators track the location of all their trucks, monitor vehicle health, plan maintenance and monitor driver behavior.

But the connectivity in the F-150 goes well beyond anything previously offered in a truck. This is the first truck that will have full bumper-to-bumper over-the-air update capabilities. Like the Mustang Mach-E, the new F-150 features a new modern electronic and electrical architecture. Many of the dozens of electronic control units on the current truck have been consolidated down to a few larger, more powerful domain control computers.

Among the domain controllers are the infotainment and driver assist systems as well as a gateway node to provide the main cybersecurity layer. These are all tied together by high-speed data connections. This will all enable Ford to update the software to fix bugs, security issues and offer customers new features over the life of the vehicle.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Ford Has Begun Building a New Factory for the Electric F-150
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/24/ford-begins-work-on-new-factory-for-its-electric-f/

Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) is moving ahead with plans to build an electric version of its huge-selling F-150 pickup. The company is constructing a new facility to build the electric pickup next to an existing factory in Dearborn, Michigan, Bloomberg reports Monday.

Ford had previously confirmed plans to launch an electric F-150 by mid-2022. The company showed off a prototype in a video released last year, in which the electric truck towed a long line of railcars in a visual response to Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk's Twitter claims about his company's upcoming Cybertruck.

Ford will begin producing prototype versions of the electric F-150 at the new Dearborn facility next year, possibly as early as spring, Bloomberg reports. Full production is expected to begin in the second or third quarter of 2022. The facility will employ about 300 new workers, according to the report.

Ford hasn't yet said how many electric pickups it expects to build. The location of the new facility, adjacent to Ford's high-volume Dearborn Truck Plant, suggests that it may be used to assemble components of the electric trucks, rather than complete vehicles.

Ford's electric F-150 is expected to be a cornerstone of a new line of battery-powered models from the Dearborn-based automaker. Ford has said that it will add at least 16 new electric vehicles to its global portfolio over the next two to three years, starting with the Mustang Mach E performance SUV later this year.

Link to the bloomberg article:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hes-tested-by-high-stakes-f-150?sref=zG5caMym

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
If you are curious as to where all that is: here is a satellite view (google) of Dearborn Truck Plant (DTP). Where you can clearly see Bill Ford's green roof.

Makes you wonder where there is room for another building--unless they'll just take out one of the parking lots.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
"but no BEV yet"
Ford has delayed BEV until launch in mid-2022. I assume it'll be 2023 model.
Not surprising. I will just hold onto my reservation for that Rivian. Hoping to take delivery before end of 2021 and the tax credit (assuming it still exists next year....)