Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wish the EPA would just give us a range number using that, instead of diluting it with so much low speed data and coming up with a 48 MPH average which is woefully slow as a "highway" number.

If they averaged, say, 60, 70, and 80, I'd be fine with that as a reasonable highway speed.
I'm going to disagree here: absolute range applies if you do the unthinkable in practical terms: drain the battery to 0%. So, any time you want to compute how far you can go in between chargers, you've go to first compute the percentage of that max range first, and then to figure out your costs you have to further know how many kilowatts "100%" is. Since many manufacturers hide that, you have to guess on costs.

IMHO both range and mi/kwh are useful, because you can then easily compute in real terms how far you can practically go, and how much that trip will cost. You can then also easily predict what your home charging costs will be based on your weekly commute, etc. The inverse number of kwh/100mi is a little silly, particularly since it is counter intuitive to MPG that we're used to: a lower kwh/mi number is better.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm going to disagree here: absolute range applies if you do the unthinkable in practical terms: drain the battery to 0%. So, any time you want to compute how far you can go in between chargers, you've go to first compute the percentage of that max range first, and then to figure out your costs you have to further know how many kilowatts "100%" is. Since many manufacturers hide that, you have to guess on costs.

IMHO both range and mi/kwh are useful, because you can then easily compute in real terms how far you can practically go, and how much that trip will cost. You can then also easily predict what your home charging costs will be based on your weekly commute, etc. The inverse number of kwh/100mi is a little silly, particularly since it is counter intuitive to MPG that we're used to: a lower kwh/mi number is better.
Oh ITA. I just meant I wish they'd give us a highway number based on actual highway speed (60-80 MPH), not 48. That was the key point.

Whether it's listed as range in miles or mileage in miles/kWh, either works for me since I'm fine doing the calculation. But I agree that best would be miles/kWh (MPK), as the perfect counterpart to MPG. That would be my first choice too: a city MPK at ~30 MPH, and a highway MPK at ~70 MPH. So like 3.6/2.6.

And even if they use "range" instead (or in addition), I think it should be 2 numbers (city/highway), with highway at ~70 MPH. Like 330/240.

Zandje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat GTE, MME AWD TP+ Lucid Red (2021)
Country flag
From the email i received from the local Ford dealer:

I have just received an answer from Ford Netherlands. The towbar for the Mustang Mach-E will be available as an accessory and will therefore be available locally at the dealer.

However, please note that the nose weight is only 30kg, so that will soon be insufficient to be able to transport bicycles with it.

In contrast with what the norwegian said.....

The Mustang Mach-E will be able to pull trailers with permissible total weight up to 750kg, but it will not be type approved for roof load. Ford will offer solutions for ski freight, bike freight, and the like on the available towbar.

very confusing
Seems that nose weight is now confirmed at 75kg, which makes sense

https://www.elbilnyheter.no/2020/09/na-apnes-det-for-bestilling-av-ford-mustang-mach-e/

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Part of it is the EPA allows additional tests to alter the adjustment factor, which on a few companies (like Tesla) have done. From: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-factor-tesla-uses-for-big-epa-range-numbers/ :
The default adjustment factor reduces the window-sticker range by 30 percent. So a car that achieves 300 miles of range during the city-cycle dynamometer test ends up with a 210-mile city rating. However, the EPA allows automakers the option to run three additional drive cycles and use those results to earn a more favorable adjustment factor. Currently, only Tesla and Audi employ this strategy for their EVs, and Tesla scores the most advantageous results, with adjustments that range from 29.5 percent on the Model 3 Standard Range Plus to 24.4 percent on the Model Y Performance. If Tesla had used the standard adjustment factor of 30 percent, the Model Y Performance's window-sticker range would drop to 292 miles. But because Tesla takes advantage of the EPA's alternate methodology, the company can instead claim a 315-mile range.​
Yeah I read that. I think their bias towards off "throttle" regen braking is also a big factor.

I personally trust WLTP the most. Both of them are inaccurate but the WLTP is at least more precise. EPA varies too much to be a good guideline between electric cars. The Taycan should not be rated at 200 miles...
Sponsored