Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
DETROIT - April 1: In a surprising move, Ford announced today that Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment, is available immediately to all Ford Mustang (TM) Mach-E (R) owners through a convenient Over-the-Air update process or through an easy 155 GB download to USB.

But what is Sync 4W? Ford CEO Alan Mulally, seen here in front of an obsolete not-a-Mustang:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845125646

explained it as follows:
Going back to the first version of Ford Sync, Ford has enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with our friends at Microsoft. Although there was that brief time when we thought QNX or Google would be valuable partners, we have now learned from our mistake. Thus, we are moving to a new Microsoft-backed platform, "Windows for EVs" (TM)(R)(C).​

The system is still in early development, but some sample UIs were shown:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845495536

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845538122

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845561573

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845579503

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845602037

Mulally continued:
Although I was passed over for CEO of Microsoft, I don't hold any ill will against the company. Instead, we will leverage their decades of experience with touch interfaces and online updates, as well as their cloud platform, to make our vehicles the envy of the industry.​
As seen in the mock-ups above, Internet connectivity is included through a modern web browser, as is a full selection of games, to be enjoyed while charging or, at a future time, while driving in autonomous mode.

BlueCruise 2.0 Service Pack 3 will include full on-screen visualization of the system as well as interactive experiences to keep things lively for our drivers!​

A UI mockup for that experience was included as well:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845795109

But, that's not all - the press release included information on voice assistant functionality as well:
Ford's exclusive "Cartana" interface will supply the best-in-class assistant functionality while just barely avoiding the uncanny valley through the use of Ford Blue throughout assistant visualization.​
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648845896899

Given that Microsoft invented the idea of mass end-user operating system updates in Windows 95, which also brought plug-and-pray plug-and-play to the mainstream for computer users anyway, it seems pretty clear the system has a lot going for it!​

The car's Start button will function as a Windows Start button as well for the on-screen UI, allowing easy access to the in-car application launcher:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648846171163

User customization will include a large number of selectable themes (not just a "light" or "dark"), including one that Ford is calling "Hotdog Stand", sure to be a hit with those with Cyber Orange GTs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford announces Sync 4W, the next generation of infotainment 1648846228109

Although the system will initially ship without CarPlay or Android Auto support, Miracast support will be included "day one". Also, Ford said that FordPass will be ported to the popular Windows Phone platform, with a companion Microsoft Band application to follow shortly.

We've reached out to Ford for clarification on some questions but so far, we just have the press release to go off of. But if the press release is any indication, exciting times are ahead for Mach-E owners!

(source)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
4W = For WHAT? ??

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No reversi? Not interested ?

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Mantastic

First Name
Jerrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Non-Performance
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Hot Dog stand color scheme. That brought back some memories. I actually used it for a while on my old 486 IBM. Didn't make my teenage eyes bleed as much as it would now I guess.
Sponsored