Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Harley Livewire, BMW 1250GS
Occupation
System Engineer
Country flag
I'd like to receive OTA updates, but in Switzerland, it never happened.... what about in UK ?
Sponsored

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I find it interesting that one of the work a rounds is to use a fob. I only received one fob with the car.

dcredraider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I find it interesting that one of the work a rounds is to use a fob. I only received one fob with the car.
Exactly. I love how @Ford Motor Company told us to use "a" fob after including a single fob with the vehicle. The message should have said "the" fob.

This is a safety issue at this point. My wife has the fob so she can quickly enter the vehicle in an emergency. Hopefully, I'm never in the same position.

It's unbelievable that Ford is aware enough to send out this message acknowledging the problem, but refuses to adopt a simple fix like giving everyone enough Ford pass points to get a second fob. It's just terrible customer service for a $50k vehicle.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
It's unbelievable that Ford is aware enough to send out this message acknowledging the problem, but refuses to adopt a simple fix like giving everyone enough Ford pass points to get a second fob. It's just terrible customer service for a $50k vehicle.
I'm pretty sure it's just a money thing. Even if they could make enough fobs during this chip shortage, it would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for them to send out and program new fobs. Beans to them, I know, but they're already losing millions of dollars to the chip shortages. So you can bet they're gonna pinch pennies where possible.

I'm sure they've had many meetings about this very issue. And they probably have decided it's worth the bad PR and cost savings.

I'm guessing they also don't want to set that precedent. I'd guess they probably plan to ship only one fob with many future models (starting with the lightning), so they don't want to set the precedent of shipping out two fobs.

Unfortunately, as much as I dislike it personally, I think they have a lot more reasons to lean on PAAK than they do to send fobs.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
One app for monitoring and fiddutzing.
One app for PaaK. Only Paak.

Sounds so simple when you break down the relative functions, but they thought one app would do everything at the same time in a wide range of phones. That was short-sighted.

Their programming team has their faces buried in their phones, iPads, laptops and programmed the app as if we would also want to constantly play with our cars through the app. Most of us will never open the app after setting it up.

Segregate the play-time and make a simple stripped down app that announces the phone's arrival at the car's door. That's all it needs to do day-to-day.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
It was important enough to me that both my wife and I have a FOB in case PaaK stops working again that I purchased a second FOB. If it's important enough to you, do the same. Why wait for Ford to decide to change their policy? It is more in their interest to eventually debug the PaaK issues than to give away Fobs.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Give you the second fob simply means the complete failure of the PAAK, which of course they will not go with this route.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Anyone what to change their vote in my survey? It is a safety issue and people could be hurt not able to access their car.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It was important enough to me that both my wife and I have a FOB in case PaaK stops working again that I purchased a second FOB. If it's important enough to you, do the same. Why wait for Ford to decide to change their policy? It is more in their interest to eventually debug the PaaK issues than to give away Fobs.
I did the same. Do I recall correctly that last fall, Ford gave a few $hundred price drop just prior to starting actual deliveries? I also recall a substantial purchase discount for Ford Options. The second fob including programming by the Dealer was about $150. Plus, I have all those FORDPASS points, and "free charging" kWh. Seems like overall, Ford has treated me well. If you want a second fob - get it and quit complaining! My wife carries 2 different fobs in her purse, they usually migrate to the bottom since she never needs to touch them, and she can drive either of our cars: Highlander Hybrid or the Mach E. Bottom line, I did not purchase a Mach E because it had PAAK. Nice to have, but not needed for me to enjoy Driving the Mustang! Once the car purrs to life (yes, I leave the interior sound on - I think it is cool!) and I push the pedal to the floor, all thoughts of PAAK disappear! And, that curve that I used to take at 50 mph and now can take at XXmph - oh what a feeling!

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anyone what to change their vote in my survey? It is a safety issue and people could be hurt not able to access their car.
None of your survey lines apply to me. Perhaps one more? "Got a second fob, not dependent on PAAK, so not a safety issue." Or, something like that. "PAAK is not essential to me to enjoy the MME."

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
I am a programmer and that won't help. They did a shitty job with the blue tooth connection and I'd bet that is the battery drain issue. I bet they outsourced the people that created the app and that they just don't have the REAL knowledge needed to code this correctly.
I think that this car is relatively new. I will be patient for the glitches to be ironed out with updates.
If the motor control software was done as poorly, our cars would be sitting in the driveway or stranded somewhere most of the time. The product development standards and validation of everything connected with the center display are nowhere near accepted automotive practice.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If the motor control software was done as poorly, our cars would be sitting in the driveway or stranded somewhere most of the time. The product development standards and validation of everything connected with the center display are nowhere near accepted automotive practice.
Another thought: Windows by Microsoft, Edge and Chrome, WORD/EXCEL/ETC, and numerous other main stream and decades-long experienced product developers have similar problems. Updates are sent out weekly and sometimes don't mess things up. Really? Hundreds of updates for Windows and they are still trying to get it right?

So, I would observe that MOST standards and validations connected with complex software are nowhere near acceptable programming practice. This forum software seems to work pretty well, though!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It’s no more a “safety issue” than pre-remote lock/unlock was. There once was a time, where you had to walk up to your locked car and use a metal key to unlock the door. Then, once inside the car, you had to select a different metal key to insert into the ignition lock and start the car. It really sucked if it was raining on date night, you got drenched opening the door for your beloved first then walking around to get in yourself.