John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I actually hope it's lot smarter than Waze. The few times I've tried to use Waze, it always seems to send me off the interstate and through some 25 MPH residential neighborhood to save me 0.000000000000000000000001 seconds. And it seems like I'm not alone (e.g. https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/waze-los-angeles-neighborhoods/) in that experience.
One thing to NEVER do is use Waze in a snowstorm. Traffic on the interstate is slow, so it will send you through unplowed neighborhoods.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I just went out to the car to get a picture because why not:

1593712230398.png

also I still like the MFT UI with the colors in the corners no matter what anyone says ;)
Our Nissan Leaf has something similar. I've rarely used it as there is so much more going on than a crow's flight distance.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
OTA will improve the system continuously.
in theory, MFT could do that, and Sync 3 can do that, for the infotainment. But on MFT, they never used it, and on Sync 3, they've used it very sparingly. I admit this is one part that I'm very skeptical about - will Ford actually pull this off correctly this time? I won't believe it until I see bugs being fixed in particular - hell, there's a longstanding bug in my MFT that was never fixed around the fancy "virtual surround sound" feature, and there was a basic typo (!!) in my 2011 Fusion navigation they could never be bothered to fix. So, until we see many OTA updates, doing real things, and not just theory, I'm going to be skeptical.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It sounds like that's what they are saying. They've had the ability (SiriusXM based) since back to the early-ish Sync days, when my 2011 Fusion with Navigation (Sync 1.0!) had traffic support. So it's not a new idea for them, but going with TomTom is new.
I guess what I should have said was I'll be happy if the Sync 4a has traffic monitoring built in that doesn't rely on SiriusXM.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use to have a stand alone Tom Tom with traffic capability and always liked it. Now days I am using Google maps all the time cause I simply don't like the look of the Waze.

ddlt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NX 300H Rx350 CX5 Mach E reserved Galaxy 500 in a time long ago
Country flag

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
What's about Google maps? Here in Germany is this a quite good solution. And the infotainment system (shut its small 15" inch display ?) should be able to show the Ford and apple /android car play simultaneously. So at least we can compare these two systems on one screen!
Cross fingers!

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I guess I'm the minority on this thread, but I love Waze and use it even though both our cars have built in nav systems.
The few times I ignored its attempts to re-direct me, I quickly regretted it. And, frankly, I benefit from other alerts Waze has (yes, I'm talking about speed traps).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I guess I'm the minority on this thread, but I love Waze and use it even though both our cars have built in nav systems.
The few times I ignored its attempts to re-direct me, I quickly regretted it. And, frankly, I benefit from other alerts Waze has (yes, I'm talking about speed traps).
I love Waze and use it all the time.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just a wild guess on my part, but it may be that Garmin supplies the general map APIs, such as how to request and receive place locations, point to point directions, tiles of imagery, road data, and so on. This would provide Ford's SYNC developers with a unified interface for pulling in this information. The data itself could be adapted from a variety of source publishers, such as HERE (formerly Nokia, Navteq) for traditional map layers and PlugShare for EV charge locations.

Maybe the TomTom agreement provides one of the dynamic data layers into the overall SYNC map, in this case the layer representing traffic data. This data could be visually plotted, but also used to influence calculations like driving routes.

Anyway, I've no information on what's actually happening. This is just hypothesis/speculation.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
What's interesting (a little) to me about this is that it suggests dropping the support for SiriusXM traffic info, which isn't terrible but isn't great. It's also slightly expensive by itself and stupidly expensive as part of the standard Travel Link bundle (https://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing)...

(side story: when my free Travel Link trial ran out my Fusion, I called in, and they were like "it's $8.99 a month," and I was like "wow that's stupidly expensive," and the agent was like "yeah I don't pay for it either - it's not worth it")
I was going to ask that exact question. I have had Sirius in all of my cars since 2006. It is very expensive at roughly $200 a year per car. If traffic is now not needed do we needSirrius at all???
Sponsored