Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I was going to ask that exact question. I have had Sirius in all of my cars since 2006. It is very expensive at roughly $200 a year per car. If traffic is now not needed do we needSirrius at all???
that's the assumption at this point. I'd say call the Help Line or your dealer to ask, but I bet that wouldn't be worth the effort.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I was going to ask that exact question. I have had Sirius in all of my cars since 2006. It is very expensive at roughly $200 a year per car. If traffic is now not needed do we needSirrius at all???
You shouldn’t be paying $200 a year for SXM. It used to be that you could call at renewal time to get it for half price. Now they’ve added the option online, so you just have to manually choose the promo instead of letting it automatically renew.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration as a standard feature, and Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze offered as free apps on mobile devices, the TomTom product had better include some real gee-whiz features. Otherwise, I'm not sure why I'd want to pay for it.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I just went out to the car to get a picture because why not:

1593712230398.png

also I still like the MFT UI with the colors in the corners no matter what anyone says ;)
Chevy has made some good improvements to their app for the Bolt. I like how the dotted line shows how far you can go and still make it back. Trip planning is nice and easy. It also updates while you drive. Chevy’s app was bad when it came out.
I’m sure Ford has looked into everyone’s app .
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Awards TomTom Global Traffic Service Deal for Next-Gen SYNC Tech to Predict Congestion 84FF4349-0591-4C55-8315-186C10DC1C2E

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just a wild guess on my part, but it may be that Garmin supplies the general map APIs, such as how to request and receive place locations, point to point directions, tiles of imagery, road data, and so on. This would provide Ford's SYNC developers with a unified interface for pulling in this information. The data itself could be adapted from a variety of source publishers, such as HERE (formerly Nokia, Navteq) for traditional map layers and PlugShare for EV charge locations.

Maybe the TomTom agreement provides one of the dynamic data layers into the overall SYNC map, in this case the layer representing traffic data. This data could be visually plotted, but also used to influence calculations like driving routes.

Anyway, I've no information on what's actually happening. This is just hypothesis/speculation.
Looks like my guess was at least partially correct. We've now heard about at least three mapping/GIS vendors.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-used-for-hands-free-driving-geofencing.1028/

Rotting Piñata

First Name
Adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon hybrid
Country flag
I'm curious to know if functionalities like this will work in the MME if we don't go through FordPass and paying AT&T for cell service. Waze and Android auto will obviously work through my cell phone, but will this TomTom nav system update through my cell phone data as well? I'd like to see Ford release a list of which features will work with the MME as is, and which require a FordPass AT&T plan.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm curious to know if functionalities like this will work in the MME if we don't go through FordPass and paying AT&T for cell service. Waze and Android auto will obviously work through my cell phone, but will this TomTom nav system update through my cell phone data as well? I'd like to see Ford release a list of which features will work with the MME as is, and which require a FordPass AT&T plan.
Ah but we don't know if the built-in modem in the car is dependent upon Ford Pass or not.

It could very well be free (especially if that is how the car gets the OTA updates).

Of course even if the link is there Ford can upcharge the Tom Tom integration separatly through Ford Pass (much like GM does with On-Star: nickel and dime you to death with every incremental feature).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Ah but we don't know if the built-in modem in the car is dependent upon Ford Pass or not.

It could very well be free (especially if that is how the car gets the OTA updates).

Of course even if the link is there Ford can upcharge the Tom Tom integration separatly through Ford Pass (much like GM does with On-Star: nickel and dime you to death with every incremental feature).
It may be tiered as far as the maps are concerned.

From reading this, looks like a lot of features are complimentary on the current SYNC3/FordPass system:
FordPass is a free app.

The remote features of FordPass are complimentary for all current and future FordPass members.

FordPass remote features include:
  • Remote Start or Stop
  • Remote Lock or Unlock
  • Vehicle Location
  • Schedule Start

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I wonder if we can run this simultaneously with Waze on the MME? It would be interesting to see which one gives a better idea of traffic - also I wonder if this gives you alerts for hazards and of course police?
Yes. Run Waze on your phone.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes. Run Waze on your phone.
WAZE is the best. Plus a fun travel game if you are the passenger, calling out CHP and road hazards. ??
Sponsored