First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If the OTA process isn't working as expected how do they send an update to fix the OTA process?
If the fix requires a change on the vehicle side, then they send an update to the GWM, which they've done multiple times now. It is the update manager within the vehicle.
Sponsored

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
This falls under the list of crap Ford needs to fix yesterday. Ford needs to remember that most of the Mach E buyers are conquest buyers (from another brand) that group is much less forgiving than a repeat Ford buyer. They are screwing it up pretty good and that same group will never buy another Ford again. Instead of getting a massive boost of new customers they are going to bleed a crap ton over these screw ups.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
So much fun seeing the different reactions to MME news. I look forward to BC but does not affect my daily enjoyment of the car. I'm still on 1.4 so the rest of you guys would crush me in Tic Tac Toe as obviously your getting a lot of practice (LOL).

Anyway, I'm ok waiting. Ford is a big slow OEM as they all are. Only a few people in history can move "move and shake" like Musk & Jobs, ect..... Remember, as has been said many times on this forum, we are 1st year ginea pigs aka beta testers.
Hey there! We appreciate your patience with the delay. However, we're glad you're still enjoying your vehicle. Soon you'll have lots of practice with tic tac toe.
Take care!

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
This is the first of it's kind from ford, yes there's issues and learning curve. If you can't deal with delays or things not working quite right then you should have waited a couple years for them to iron things out.

meanwhile, enjoying my bluecruse in my GTPE ?

Also, glad I didn't pay 10G for full self driving - how long are those owners waiting?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
But that's the point - they DID finally communicate and people are up in arms ANYWAY!
actually, I never received any communication from @Ford Motor Company about the latest delay and would have been blissfully ignorant, had I not been an avid member of this forum (and thank you to all the forum members who’ve contributed so much valuable information AND enjoyable commentary ?)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have no doubt that if you ran a company whose ability to produce a product was cut in half - along with the corresponding profits - you would absolutely start cutting checks for 4 to 8 hour's labor to the dealers to install updates and minor bug fixes. After all you managed to just meet the revised expectations of half the sales you originally projected and budgeted for, but hey if those folks can't play tic-tac-toe their lives are in danger. And of course you would also eat the cost of 8 hours' labor to install a $600 optional software package that most of the cars which don't have it didn't prepay for anyway.

Yep, that's the right way to run a company for sure.
I see where you’re coming from and I absolutely agree. I would only add that MailChimp is pretty cheap and you can get a college marketing intern to draft the email to current owners that says “hey, we apologize, but due to unforeseen technical challenges, we are delaying the deployment of BlueCruise to early Mustang Mach E purchasers until Spring 2021” (and see what I did there? ?) Maybe toss a couple thousand points in our ford reward accounts to cover an oil change or something? ?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
From what I have heard in speaking with people are various Ford service departments, Ford discovered an issue with OTA updates where it was not accounting for people who had their Mach-E software or modules updated at the dealership.

It resulted in OTAs basically overwriting and reverting software and modules with older software versions. What was happening is that a service department would install updates to fix a problem and then the customers come back later with the same problem, only to find that an older software was pushed via OTA and effectively broke things again.

They apparently are working to fix the OTA process to account for this and could be why the OTA push of 1.7.1 has been stopped for the time being. This could also be why the BC OTA was delayed.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ford and its shareholders have a right to be thrilled by the Q3 results. Those stellar results are also why the BC delay announcement was made today, it hides and buries various pieces of bad news. Nothing new in that.

What is new (enough) is that it has become rather obvious the OTA process is not working as intended. The present process is a drag on an otherwise excellent car. Q1 2022 ends on March 31. That's 155 days from today. There's a high degree of probability that the Mach-e will now go over a year from when customer deliveries started before a substantive feature addition is delivered to eligible (and those willing to pay) cars. And we haven't discussed the lack of bug fixes via OTA. When will real bug fixes begin? Ford's mach-e customers have a right to be disappointed in this facet of their cars. Every OTA target publically mentioned has been missed. Customers can be very forgiving, but they need to see that there will be improvements in the process. If there aren't going to be, let people go to the dealer and have BC and other feature additions added by the service department. Also, not everyone has a trouble-free Mach-e. Some folks were waiting for the OTA system, as promised, to begin delivering the fixes provided by the various TSBs and SSMs. Those who haven't purchased as of yet will also be factoring all of the news, good and bad, into their buying decisions.

To be clear, I don't have a stake in this immediate announcement. I won't be getting BlueCruise, not in Q1 2022, not in the future. There are zero roads on this island that are BC-enabled roadways. But as a customer and early (enough) MME build owner, I have a right to be concerned about what appears to be ever slipping OTA timelines. And appearances do matter.
I’m definitely willing to cut Ford as much slack as possible. I’ve worked for very large, established companies and I know, first hand, how difficult it is to make change happen. I actually recognize the amount of change that must have occurred, and must still be occurring throughout ford to bring the Mustang Mach E and it’s supporting technologies to life. Sandy Munro (as much as I’m not a fan) showed us examples where change still needs to happen in the design. I’m going to stick with ford on the journey, even though I may whine and complain a lot, because I still buy into their vision. Anyone remember what Bill Ford did when there was the horrible fire at the Rouge Plant? Anyone remember what Elon Musk did at the Fremont plant when California was under lockdown because of a nationwide pandemic that was peaking and killing thousands of Americans a day? My values are more aligned with Bill Ford ?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I am bummed out that the BC update has been delayed, I was really looking forward to using it on my commute. I really hope that the team at Ford can get their teams and development process optimized to make it better in the future and more agile in the future. I love my Mach-E and can't wait for it to improve over time with software updates. I wish Ford to share more about their software development and testing process.

It's sad that brand new cars are coming with the newest software and BC installed, but existing customers can't go to a service department to have these updates installed manually.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's sad that brand new cars are coming with the newest software and BC installed, but existing customers can't go to a service department to have these updates installed manually.
I’ve repeatedly said that I’d be happy to schedule time to stop by my service department and have them install the updates. It really doesn’t take any service tech time beyond putting the car on a 12V supply and connecting it to the 300 baud modem or whatever they use to download software from the shop diagnostic system ????

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I’ve repeatedly said that I’d be happy to schedule time to stop by my service department and have them install the updates. It really doesn’t take any service tech time beyond putting the car on a 12V supply and connecting it to the 300 baud modem or whatever they use to download software from the shop diagnostic system ????
Agreed. This would allow people who are desperately wanting the new update to have a way to get it while also not affecting people who don't care.

newtruckinfl

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Agreed. This would allow people who are desperately wanting the new update to have a way to get it while also not affecting people who don't care.
That is a great idea. I personally would be happy to pay the service department say $1,000 to install it manually now vs. wait until some date in the future. It went from 3rd quarter 2021, to "fall" 2021, to first quarter 2022 in a matter of days. Ford could update the OTA department that my VIN has the update so it wouldn't try to reinstall it later. I think the Tesla delays in sending out updates were actually update driven, not over the air driven. This seems like a unique situation. In the call it was mentioned that they wanted to delay to simplify the technology, but even that seems confusing. Is it the OTA that needs simplification (likely) or the actual bluecruise software?

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Of course, a little disappointing to have a feature release get pushed back.

BUT ...

(a) I'd rather them work out whatever it is they are working out. Don't care about the specifics, but thank you Ford for fixing issues and taking the time;
(b) In my almost-30 years of owning many vehicles, NONE of them have ever "updated" nor have had any bugs fixed nor features added "automatically" after I drove it off the lot. If my Mach E updates itself only ONCE EVER, then it is beating my previous vehicles track records by miles and miles.
(c) I'm trusting my wife and children's lives with Ford. Would I rather get an alpha or beta feature quickly, or wait to get the G/A version? Easy decision.

newtruckinfl

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Of course, a little disappointing to have a feature release get pushed back.

BUT ...

(a) I'd rather them work out whatever it is they are working out. Don't care about the specifics, but thank you Ford for fixing issues and taking the time;
(b) In my almost-30 years of owning many vehicles, NONE of them have ever "updated" nor have had any bugs fixed nor features added "automatically" after I drove it off the lot. If my Mach E updates itself only ONCE EVER, then it is beating my previous vehicles track records by miles and miles.
(c) I'm trusting my wife and children's lives with Ford. Would I rather get an alpha or beta feature quickly, or wait to get the G/A version? Easy decision.
Great observations and credit to Ford for trying to catch up with other automakers on over the air updates. But the issue here is not holding up a rushed beta version of Bluecruise. Bluecruise has already been released and seems to be working great on new MachE's and F-150's. They just can't figure out how to get that good operating software to your vehicle for some reason. And now it looks like it will take many more months for them to figure out how to deliver that already released capability it to your car. And the over-the-air connectivity was a heavily marketed capability.

I'm no software or automotive expert so someone please correct me if I don't understand the situation correctly.
Sponsored