Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Not that reality makes a difference around there but here is some actual information from Ford sources (not rumors from unidentified dealer service centers, etc.)

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/11/available-or-delayed-ford-bluecruise-confusion-clarified/

Available or delayed? Ford BlueCruise confusion clarified

dfb7da83631b935cb44a6815400e0a80?s=40&d=mm&r=g.jpg
Jimmy Dinsmore
November 3, 2021

When you’re talking about a new technology, especially one that involves hands-free driving, it’s important to get things right the first time. This week, confusion ran rampant through the interwebs regarding Ford’s BlueCruise technology.

The YouTube channel Gears & Gadgets, reported the F-150 it ordered has to wait up to 7 more months for the BlueCruise software to be installed over the air (OTA). Likewise, KBB.com reported “Buyers can still order BlueCruise, but it won’t be active until sometime next year.”

So what gives with Ford’s BlueCruise? Is it available now or not?

Mike Levine, Ford North America Product Communications Director, helped to shed some light.

“We are already delivering BlueCruise functionality in Mustang Mach-E and F-150 models leaving our plants today, and Ford customers will start receiving their BlueCruise hands-free driver assist updates over the air in the first quarter,” he said.

That doesn’t totally clarify things — especially since Ford’s CEO Jim Farley said during an investor’s conference: “We wanted to improve the customer experience. So we pushed it back to Q1.”

That led to irritation among many who had spent money to add BlueCruise hardware and software to their Mustang Mach-Es or their Ford F-150s. For F-150, BlueCruise is available as a part of the Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package for a total of $1,595 – $600 for the software and $995 for the hardware. For the Mustang Mach-E, it’s an available package on the Select trim for $3,200 – $600 for the software and $2,600 for the rest of the package – as part of the larger Comfort and Technology package, which includes features such as a 360-degree camera, heated front seats and heated steering wheel.

So, is BlueCruise available now?
The answer to this question, as confirmed by Levine is yes – for those vehicles that are being built and delivered now or that have just been recently delivered. However, Levine said Ford F-150 and Mustang Mach-E vehicles built prior to the “end of summer and early fall” won’t get the software update until Q1, which means any time between January and March of 2022.

Levine said, “Given the importance of this technology upgrade, we’ve retimed the BlueCruise over-the-air update so we can deliver the highest-quality OTA experience possible for customers.”

Still confused about whether your truck or SUV was built with BlueCruise or will be receiving the update? Check your MyFord Pass app — it’ll let you know if it’s active or not. Plus, well, it just won’t work if you got an earlier build.

Can BlueCruise be updated at a Ford dealer
Waiting until the first quarter could mean March for some, which will inevitably lead to impatience. However, Levine said there is some small hope for frustrated owners without activated BlueCruise.

“Mach-E and F-150 customers who are eager to have BlueCruise capability on their eligible vehicles ahead of the over-the-air updates will be able to receive their upgrades at dealers, also in the first quarter,” he said.

So, for the affected vehicles it’s still a waiting game, but at least owners have some control — and it’s a 2-month wait versus a possible 5-month wait.

The bottom line on Ford’s BlueCruise
We totally understand the frustration among the early adopters of this technology. For those who already took possession of their Mach-E or F-150 with BlueCruise hardware, having to wait until 2022 is a legit source of irritation.

Add that to the fact later builds get the software already loaded, and you can see why some people in the F150gen14 forum and Facebook groups are griping.

We support Ford in rolling out the OTA update in as simple a way as possible, but as is the case with new technology like BlueCruise, there’s already some uncertainty about it, and this only adds to that.

Are you waiting for your BlueCruise OTA or were you one of the lucky ones to get your vehicle already loaded with it? Leave us a comment about your experience with BlueCruise.
“we’ve retimed the BlueCruise over-the-air update so we can deliver the highest-quality OTA experience possible for customers.”

This little nugget deserves some sort of trophy for excellence in bullshit marketing spin. Not “delayed” - “retimed”! And it’s never “we need to fix _____” - it’s always “we want to deliver the highest quality experience!”

Bravo, @Ford Motor Company!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is from Detroit free press article on 10/3/21
Titled
GM ready to resolve lawsuit against Ford over BlueCruise name
Jamie L. LaReau
You will see Ford spokesman Mike Levine

"In addition, we recently announced that BlueCruise will be available for the new 2022 Ford Expedition and it is already available for Mustang Mach-E and F-150,"

I’m not an attorney but does anyone know if this could fall under the lemon law?
No.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
“we’ve retimed the BlueCruise over-the-air update so we can deliver the highest-quality OTA experience possible for customers.”

This little nugget deserves some sort of trophy for excellence in bullshit marketing spin. Not “delayed” - “retimed”! And it’s never “we need to fix _____” - it’s always “we want to deliver the highest quality experience!”

Bravo, @Ford Motor Company!
I wonder if I can retime my payments to Ford Credit? I would like to ensure they have the highest quality payment experience.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
We are now in the first quarter of 2022.

There are 85 days until the end of the quarter.

The clock is ticking!!!!!

Another delay past this will be hard even for Ford to spin.....

And BTW, I purchased my Mach-E on March 30th, 2021 - VIN 8879. A full year to figure out how to do an OTA software patch/update is not confidence inspiring.

I still do not yet have the 1.7.1 update installed let alone the next version, so I do not have a good feeling about getting BlueCruise installed.

Jim

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
We are now in the first quarter of 2022.

There are 85 days until the end of the quarter.

The clock is ticking!!!!!

Another delay past this will be hard even for Ford to spin.....

And BTW, I purchased my Mach-E on March 30th, 2021 - VIN 8879. A full year to figure out how to do an OTA software patch/update is not confidence inspiring.

I still do not yet have the 1.7.1 update installed let alone the next version, so I do not have a good feeling about getting BlueCruise installed.

Jim
Yes its a "Where's the Beef" moment. Ford's track record with fixing bugs, FP, Paak, OTA, BC, is not very good. I am looking forward to BC. I do really like Sync over my '21 Infiniti Q50RS Infotainment. My three Infiniti's never needed warranty service and I cant think of many software bugs.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2014 Mazda3 GT
Country flag
Ford Authority - an on-line newsletter - just offered this article headline: "Ford BlueCruise Will Utilize Mobileye REM Tech On Future Variants"

My reading of the announcement makes it sound like the BC "technology" that's installed in my 2021 F150 (but not yet working) and with which I would option in a Premium Mach-E may be replaced in future Ford models. Here's part of the announcement; see what you think:

"Mobileye – once considered a “frenemy” of Ford Motor Company – announced at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that it will be expanding its strategic partnership with the automaker by using the company’s REM – or Road Experience Management technology – in future versions of the Ford BlueCruise system. The implementation of Mobileye’s REM technology will expand BlueCruise’s capabilities to include not only pre-mapped sections of major highways but also areas without visible lane markings and qualified divided highways thanks to improved lane-centering and lane-keeping technology.

“Ford has been delivering new vehicle technologies that make driving safer and easier for more than a century,” Ford president and CEO Jim Farley said. “We are excited to work with Mobileye on a platform that supports our development of next-generation autonomy technologies. Our investment in these capabilities will allow us to transform our customers’ transportation experiences.”

Initially, my impression is that this announcement might be summed up as "We couldn't make BC competitive in the semi-autonomous future vehicle marketplace, so we're passing the buck to these guys." If only Ford had, as a core competency, the practice of effectively communicating with its customers....

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ford Authority - an on-line newsletter - just offered this article headline: "Ford BlueCruise Will Utilize Mobileye REM Tech On Future Variants"

My reading of the announcement makes it sound like the BC "technology" that's installed in my 2021 F150 (but not yet working) and with which I would option in a Premium Mach-E may be replaced in future Ford models. Here's part of the announcement; see what you think:

"Mobileye – once considered a “frenemy” of Ford Motor Company – announced at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that it will be expanding its strategic partnership with the automaker by using the company’s REM – or Road Experience Management technology – in future versions of the Ford BlueCruise system. The implementation of Mobileye’s REM technology will expand BlueCruise’s capabilities to include not only pre-mapped sections of major highways but also areas without visible lane markings and qualified divided highways thanks to improved lane-centering and lane-keeping technology.

“Ford has been delivering new vehicle technologies that make driving safer and easier for more than a century,” Ford president and CEO Jim Farley said. “We are excited to work with Mobileye on a platform that supports our development of next-generation autonomy technologies. Our investment in these capabilities will allow us to transform our customers’ transportation experiences.”

Initially, my impression is that this announcement might be summed up as "We couldn't make BC competitive in the semi-autonomous future vehicle marketplace, so we're passing the buck to these guys." If only Ford had, as a core competency, the practice of effectively communicating with its customers....
Mobileye is the company behind the current bluecruise. To me, this reads like Ford will continue to use them, and incorporate their new features into it.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Mobileye is the company behind the current bluecruise. To me, this reads like Ford will continue to use them, and incorporate their new features into it.
Thanks for posting, I was thinking to myself, didn't they already use Mobileye, but I couldn't find any articles or anything to confirm so I didn't post. I think the clue comes from this line in the announcement (emphasis added by me)

"Mobileye ... announced at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that it will be expanding its strategic partnership with the automaker....

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I don't know about the rest of you, but I just feel let down by Ford, because other than this OTA debacle, I really like this car!!!

Come on Ford! Fix your problem and make us "Job 1" customers thrilled again....

Jim

MarleysMME

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
At the risk of sounding litigious, has anyone heard chatter regarding legal action for failure to deliver features which we essentially paid for by purchasing the hardware package to support BC? The same question applies to the recurring failures of OTAs, PAAK, dealers that refuse to complete recall work, etc...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
At the risk of sounding litigious, has anyone heard chatter regarding legal action for failure to deliver features which we essentially paid for by purchasing the hardware package to support BC? The same question applies to the recurring failures of OTAs, PAAK, dealers that refuse to complete recall work, etc...
No reputable lawyer would take such a case. Go read the fine print.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Yeah, I think Ford covered their legal butt and has no problems leaving us holding the bag. I don't think we'd have a case.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Our cars have the Mobileye EyeQ4 chip in them. The previous version (EyeQ3) is what runs the original Tesla Autopilot, GM Supercruise, and others. The fact that so much was already working on the EyeQ3 for others is what makes the BlueCruise delays and limitations seem even more frustrating to me.

At any rate, the EyeQ5 is out now and being used by BMW. I would not be surprised if this announcement for REM is only relevant for the newer chips.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Just look for Tesla as over promised and under deliver in regards to their full self driving.
Sponsored