Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E 4X
Occupation
Product Manager
Country flag
I have the same problem with my 2023 Premium, and have just gotten in the habit of pressing the button twice. I'll have to try the quick press.

The liftgate is the *only* thing that annoys me about my car. This exterior button behavior, plus the interior button buried under settings and often not working for me on first press. And I would really like an exterior lock button on the liftgate like my Prius had.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Wait... are you saying that the vast majority of owners don't have the fabulous trunk "feature"?
I wouldn’t know. I have a job 1 2021. I also don’t have a clue as to whether Ford is referring to what is happening to your car is what is intended or whether they’re misinterpreting your car’s (mis)behavior. Further, I did say performing “as expected.” As expected does not necessarily mean properly.

What I do know is that forums aren’t a representative cross section of MME owners. What is posted on the forum is always amplified from normal.

In the meantime I’d review your state’s lemon laws to see if this issue qualifies. Out here, it probably wouldn’t trigger our lemon laws.

bigredx86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach-E Premium STD AWD
Country flag
Our 23 has this issue as well and I think it’s a software bug as I only noticed it when we added two profiles. Fokes on Reddit have mentioned improvements when deleting all profiles and unlinking all apps and keys.

I haven’t tried this yet as I like our profiles too much and honestly this ONLY happens when the car is locked and just like others have said, I just hit the button a second time and it finishes its cycle.

To try and get a buy back or lemon law out of this seems very far fetched to me and a huge headache for something that’s a small issue to have imo.

Now it should get fixed and sadly I don’t think taking a software issue into the dealer will yield you much other than what you got. I know there’s a number people can call for the EV wheel house of Ford, not sure if you tried this avenue and seen what they said, as I’d be constantly annoying them with it.

This is the problem with both customers and dealers, sadly the whole update-able car idea only works when people can get feedback to the right people. Dealerships need an avenue to call in support with this software issues, not sure this exists.

Can the forums Ford rep get you in contact with the right fokes? I mean how else do they get an idea of issues out in the field? That’s the part I think needs improvements.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I still don’t think I totally understand the problem, but it sounds weird as hell.

I absolutely wouldn’t put it past Ford to either have intentionally designed it this way, or not care about fixing it.

Consider, since 2021…
  • You still cannot permanently disable alarm interior motion sensors, even there is a setting to do just that. Ford actually issued a SSM helpfully explaining that toggling this setting lasts for exactly one whole key cycle. JFC, Ford. What in the actual F?
  • The car reverts to Guest profile every time you remote start, for absolutely no logical reason.
  • When you tap “max defrost” once, it turns on. When you tap that button a second time, instead of turning off, the HVAC goes to Auto Medium. Why?
  • Ford still has not enabled electronic frunk access for 2021 J1s despite us having the same frunk latch actuator as everyone else.
  • You have to tap into Settings to open the Trunk from inside the car. What dumbass decided that? Evidently someone who doesn’t have kids.
I don’t think this is Lemon Law or buyback territory, unfortunately. Just frustrating Ford stupidity.

Last edited:

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
My hatch/trunk does this weird short open also. I have been lifting it manually to fully open it after I press the button to only get a partial open. Did not know that a second press should fully open it, will have to try.

I have taken to trying to use my phone more to open the hatch as I'm approaching. When I use the button on the phone it works as expected, coming to a full open position.

No dedicated hatch button on the inside of the car is a bit vexing for me. My Explorer has one and I use it all the time. The Explorer also has a set your height hatch opening like the MachE (which I always thought that was why the MachE was only doing a partial open, that somehow it keeps getting reset to a lower position) but the Explorer works intuitively and consistently opens it to the same height that I have set each time. The MachE hatch button action does not.

Schwartzcynthia

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I have a 2023 GTPE and it does this, but I thought nothing of it. I just push the button twice to fully open the trunk.

It only opens halfway for me when hand press the trunk button. When I use my phone or fob, it always fully opens.

In reading through what is posted from the repair, it does state that this is a new feature. I also recall, if I’m not mistaken, that 2023’s lost the kick to open feature.
Kick to open feature has never worked for me. But it isn't a big deal IMO.

Twaddle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
You can add me and my 2023 GTPE to the list. Trunk opens 1-12” typically until I press a second time. Not completely surprising that a car company can’t figure out software, but this is the direction the industry is going, so Ford’s going to need to figure it out sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
ragequit310

ragequit310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
You can add me and my 2023 GTPE to the list. Trunk opens 1-12” typically until I press a second time. Not completely surprising that a car company can’t figure out software, but this is the direction the industry is going, so Ford’s going to need to figure it out sooner rather than later.
That's exactly my point - this is most likely a software issue. Ford needs to figure it out and be held accountable. I find this issue really annoying as I often try to open the trunk while holding packages.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That's exactly my point - this is most likely a software issue. Ford needs to figure it out and be held accountable. I find this issue really annoying as I often try to open the trunk while holding packages.
Since kick to open was removed from 2022 and beyond model years, you’re going to have to put packages down to open the trunk anyway. In the interim, until your issue is identified and resolved, you’ll need to use FP, the FOB, or the button (twice). Even if/when the issue is resolved, your full hands problem won’t be any easier or any less annoying.

Craig-e

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
The kick-to-open feature worked flawlessly for the 10 years I had my c-max. And I found it very useful too. I really wonder why they stopped offering it.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The kick-to-open feature worked flawlessly for the 10 years I had my c-max. And I found it very useful too. I really wonder why they stopped offering it.
If I remember correctly it was originally removed due to supply chain issues during COVID. As to why it's still gone, I can't tell you, unless it has something to do with hatch issues in cars with the sensor, like mine and many others who have it open on it's own.

Craig-e

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
Thanks for that info, DevSecOps.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
If I remember correctly it was originally removed due to supply chain issues during COVID. As to why it's still gone, I can't tell you, unless it has something to do with hatch issues in cars with the sensor, like mine and many others who have it open on it's own.
It was a stupid decision and supply chain issue. They turned off the kick-to-open feature in 2022 because they were running out of modules. (My May, 2022 GTPE has the module but it can't be activated unless you bypass with FORScan.) Ford said, "If everyone can't have it, you can't have it - even though we promised it."
Sponsored