DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Jim Farley deserves every single bit of credit for managing to course correct and put Ford on a winning path forward.

But to acknowledge that without acknowledging that Elon Musk is the only reason why Jim Farley was even put in this position is kind of like calling GM the "leader in electric vehicle manufacturing in the US"... While ignoring the elephant in the room which is Tesla.

In other words it's absolutely absurd, and obviously skips over a pretty critical part in the history of the movement your trying to acknowledge.

Elon deserves that praise, as does Jim Farley. But let's not forget who and what came first, because traditional auto makers are not standing on the shoulders of someone that came before them that proved out a particular product and business model well b4 either of then even decided to get their toes wet.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Jim Farley deserves every single bit of credit for managing to course correct and put Ford on a winning path forward.

But to acknowledge that without acknowledging that Elon Musk is the only reason why Jim Farley was even put in this position is kind of like calling GM the "leader in electric vehicle manufacturing in the US"... While ignoring the elephant in the room which is Tesla.

In other words it's absolutely absurd, and obviously skips over a pretty critical part in the history of the movement your trying to acknowledge.

Elon deserves that praise, as does Jim Farley. But let's not forget who and what came first, because traditional auto makers are not standing on the shoulders of someone that came before them that proved out a particular product and business model well b4 either of then even decided to get their toes wet.
I’m not trying to acknowledge any movement. And Elon is a megalomaniac, regardless of Tesla’s success. And even though he has stated that Tesla’s mission was to spur EV use/dev etc., he constantly shits on the legacy and start up competition and also boo-hoos Federal EV infrastructure investment. Even though Tesla has received all kinds of Federal funding dating back to ‘08 and prior.
Yeah, he’s rich and powerful now but he’s no Preston Tucker, that dude actually started his own car company before the Big 3 and Fed took him down. Elon bought his way into Tesla.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

And discounting the other things Ford is doing besides EVs is also discounting Farley's leadership (Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, ahem).

In addition, he shows some class.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
And discounting the other things Ford is doing besides EVs is also discounting Farley's leadership (Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, ahem).

In addition, he shows some class.
Like I said, Jim Farley deserves every single bit of acknowledgement, but just because Elon is being acknowledged elsewhere (as he should) should not take away from Jim's accomplishments.

It is you that is taking issue with Elon being acknowledged, while I am saying both deserve every bit of it. So not sure what exactly you are arguing here? ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Like I said, Jim Farley deserves every single bit of acknowledgement, but just because Elon is being acknowledged elsewhere (as he should) should not take away from Jim's accomplishments.

It is you that is taking issue with Elon being acknowledged, while I am saying both deserve every bit of it. So not sure what exactly you are arguing here? ?
My point is that you can completely ignore Tesla, Musk, the Mach-E, the Lightining, and still Farley has done a great job.

Thus you don't have to acknowledge Tesla to praise Farley.

Your statement here, belies that:

Last edited:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I've been following Jim's career for years as it was pretty clear he'd get the reigns at some point. He is the most "car guy" of all the major manufacturer's CEO's. It was great to watch him race at Laguna Seca in August, then have dinner with him that night.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-motortrend-person-year-ford-ceo-jim-farley/

Good choice, MT!

Now, about that Time Magazine Elon thing…..??‍♂
Agreed Jim Farley is truly turning Ford around and doing great things and not just in the EV field. Now, as for the Elon Musk thing why don't we just stop bashing the man. Kinda makes me think about how when I rode a Harley Davidson but people would bash them. If you are a true motorcycle enthusiast you love all 2 wheelers. Same with off road, if you are a true enthusiast you enjoy all off roaders, Jeep, Ford or whatever. So, let's enjoy the growing EV market and not cast stones at all we disagree with, just my 2 cents worth and my opinion.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Agreed Jim Farley is truly turning Ford around and doing great things and not just in the EV field. Now, as for the Elon Musk thing why don't we just stop bashing the man. Kinda makes me think about how when I rode a Harley Davidson but people would bash them. If you are a true motorcycle enthusiast you love all 2 wheelers. Same with off road, if you are a true enthusiast you enjoy all off roaders, Jeep, Ford or whatever. So, let's enjoy the growing EV market and not cast stones at all we disagree with, just my 2 cents worth and my opinion.
Cheers to that! I’m not a “Ford” guy, in fact I had never set foot inside a Ford dealership before buying the Mach-E, and I’m not anti-Tesla. I just think EVs are cool and the transformation that’s going on around us is fun to watch and be part of. And yes, w/o Tesla would there even be a Mach-E?
Sponsored