First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI
Country flag
Hi all

I’m based in Ireland, we don’t even have our configurator up on the Irish site (dealers say “soon”) so I don’t have anything ordered yet. Like yourselves I have loads of questions and have been scouring the net to see what I can learn about this intriguing machine.

My current question is about the Ford charger. Does this exist in the US already as an available product, or either way has anyone any idea how much Ford would charge for it?

Mainly though, would the general wisdom be to stick with a car manufacturer’s proprietary product for this type of thing (perhaps guaranteeing greater electronic compatibility with charge info, etc), or would you, as likely future Mach E owners, readily consider any other home chargers on the market?

Thanks in advance! ?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It doesn't really matter at this point. The charging standards have been around for a good 8-10 years now which means they all are pretty much compatible.

Thus you can shop for whatever desired features you wish: Should you want to find the least expensive one then go for it; perhaps you want one with more features (WiFi, remote controllable, etc.) then go for it.

The Mach-E is going to have a bunch of different charge options/modes and thus it isn't really necessary to get a really fancy charger as the car will handle many different situations (Ford's already done this with its other plugins so its logical to presume that the Mach-E will have at least the same functionality if not more).

I've been using the same home charger(s) now for the past 7 years and don't expect to have to get something different for the Mach-E.

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
Hi all

I’m based in Ireland, we don’t even have our configurator up on the Irish site (dealers say “soon”) so I don’t have anything ordered yet. Like yourselves I have loads of questions and have been scouring the net to see what I can learn about this intriguing machine.

My current question is about the Ford charger. Does this exist in the US already as an available product, or either way has anyone any idea how much Ford would charge for it?

Mainly though, would the general wisdom be to stick with a car manufacturer’s proprietary product for this type of thing (perhaps guaranteeing greater electronic compatibility with charge info, etc), or would you, as likely future Mach E owners, readily consider any other home chargers on the market?

Thanks in advance! ?
I believe ford includes a charger that you can use as a mobile charger or hard install into your home/garage. It mentions its included with the vehicle so unless you need something different or it doesnt fit your needs, not sure why you would buy another one. Heres a pic of the home charger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...argest-electric-vehicle-charting-network.html

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe ford includes a charger that you can use as a mobile charger or hard install into your home/garage. It mentions its included with the vehicle so unless you need something different or it doesnt fit your needs, not sure why you would buy another one. Heres a pic of the home charger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...argest-electric-vehicle-charting-network.html
That home charger is not the one that comes with the car.

The car will come with a portable one that can work on both 120V and 240V.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Hi all

Thanks in advance! ?
Hey! I happen to know a bit about the charger at Ford. There’s one that comes with the vehicle, and one that will be available for purchase.
It will be available a few months before the deliveries of the car (a few months from now) and can be financed with the vehicle so you don’t have to pay up front if you don’t want to.
Ours is meant to go with the vehicle, so it’s tested a bit more thoroughly than most chargers, and you’ll get a lot of cool features with it that you wouldn’t get quite as much with a different brand (it’s equivalent to the Tesla Wi-Zfi wall connector they just announced). It also comes with a good warranty as it’s handled like the warranty of the vehicle.
I can answer some questions you have about it if you’d like!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hey! I happen to know a bit about the charger at Ford. There’s one that comes with the vehicle, and one that will be available for purchase.
It will be available a few months before the deliveries of the car (a few months from now) and can be financed with the vehicle so you don’t have to pay up front if you don’t want to.
Ours is meant to go with the vehicle, so it’s tested a bit more thoroughly than most chargers, and you’ll get a lot of cool features with it that you wouldn’t get quite as much with a different brand (it’s equivalent to the Tesla Wi-Zfi wall connector they just announced). It also comes with a good warranty as it’s handled like the warranty of the vehicle.
You sound like you're more familiar with Ford's EV program than most of us. :)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
@1pt21Gigawatts, which plug types are included with the mobile charger? Will additional plugs be available for purchase? I'd like to get a NEMA 14-20 or maybe 14-30 plug from Ford if it is reasonably priced.

How is max current configured/limited on each of the chargers (mobile and connected)?

MSRP for an additional mobile charger? For the connected charger?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you distinguish your comments re: which one are you talking about? The one that comes with the car or the one that will be available for purchase?

The link in the OP shows a wall mounted one that definitely does not go with the car (er by "go with the car" I mean travel with the car--man even "go with the car" is ambiguous! LOL).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Sorry, I was referring to Tesla's EVSEs, not their private charging network. Like this one: https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Also, Ford isn't providing free charging at EA stations. They're just providing a free 2 year subscription to their charging program that provides easy access to networks including EA and others, at the network subscriber discounted rates.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
How does it compare on price to Clipper Creek or Juice Box? That's the biggest issue. Most important charging features are handled by the car anyway,

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They are acting like a clearinghouse - they are bundling up all the main EV charging companies under 1 billing account (the ford charging account). I am guessing, but it appears the actual rates you pay are the in-network rates of the charging companies, which for EA is about $.70 for <=150 kw charging and $.50 for <=125kw charging. For the convenience of only having to worry about 1 charging account ford will start billing what I expect will be a nominal fee after 2 years.
Sponsored