Ford Charger for Mach-E

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
When I had the plug for my EVSE(s) installed the electrician put the breakers on a new 2nd meter on the far side of the house, ran the wires through the basement ceiling into the garage, up the garage walls, over the ceiling and down to where the plug is--its about as far as possible you could run some wires in our house without going to the 2nd floor LOL.

Yup: The EVSE's are on their own meter which has an "Experimental EV" rate from the power company (basically dirt cheap to overnight charge).
Can you share more about your experience with adding a second meter (process, price, timing)? Is there a new second panel installed during that process to hold the new breakers? What made you decide to put in a second meter instead of going with 'time of use' electrical rates?

I'm thinking I'll do most of my charging at work, but will want to charge at home as a back up. I'm trying to decide if I should have DTE put in a second meter or just run a new circuit off of my existing 200 amp panel. I don't think the 'time of use' rates with DTE would work well for me since I have the wife and kids home all summer on the XBOX and running the AC. And I won't be charging all that much at home.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Can you share more about your experience with adding a second meter (process, price, timing)? Is there a new second panel installed during that process to hold the new breakers? What made you decide to put in a second meter instead of going with 'time of use' electrical rates?

I'm thinking I'll do most of my charging at work, but will want to charge at home as a back up. I'm trying to decide if I should have DTE put in a second meter or just run a new circuit off of my existing 200 amp panel. I don't think the 'time of use' rates with DTE would work well for me since I have the wife and kids home all summer on the XBOX and running the AC. And I won't be charging all that much at home.
This was all done as a package with our power company back in 2013. They were offering up $2500 towards your install, funny our install totaled at $2600--I paid just the $100 difference. (I think they were getting a tax break for customers installing EVSE's and they were just passing that on to the customer.)

This included everything: The wiring, the extra panel, the EVSE (the Bosch one), and the extra meter.

The EV meter has an extra panel next to it with the two breakers for the plug (both are on the outside of the house).

I did go with time of use pricing on that meter; the house remains on the normal residential plan (and my bill has two sections: one for the house, and one for the EV).

Thus I know exactly how much electricity the EV uses on a monthly basis (so far it costs me about $50/month to drive the Bolt about 1000 miles/month--in the summer it can be as low as $35/month and winter it may approach $60/month). Before I started driving plugins I was driving an F-350 that was costing upwards of $350/month in gas.

As far as timing it took a while (almost a month if I remember correctly) to get everything installed simply due to coordination: my power company didn't do the install so after first signing up with them I had to wait for the electrician to get a quote, the power company to approve it, then the wiring, then get inspected by the city, the power company to install the meter, and then finishing up.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am hoping to find out what a simple 240v outlet install is likely to cost. In my case, it's a fairly new home (2014) with a straighforward path from the breaker box on the outside of the house through the crawl space into the garage. 75' of Romex should do it. In fact I'd be happy to do it myself but I'm not as comfortable with 240v. And don't know if there's permitting required.

I'm considering doing much of the legwork myself (buying the materials, cutting the holes in the wall and fishing the wire so it only needs to be connected on each end and inspected), but I don't know if that will save much. Seems like it's simple enough that it shouldn't cost more than $300 or something for electrician labor, but I'm probably being naive.

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos of self-installs and it looks simple enough. Maybe I'll just do it myself.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hi all

I’m based in Ireland, we don’t even have our configurator up on the Irish site (dealers say “soon”) so I don’t have anything ordered yet. Like yourselves I have loads of questions and have been scouring the net to see what I can learn about this intriguing machine.

My current question is about the Ford charger. Does this exist in the US already as an available product, or either way has anyone any idea how much Ford would charge for it?

Mainly though, would the general wisdom be to stick with a car manufacturer’s proprietary product for this type of thing (perhaps guaranteeing greater electronic compatibility with charge info, etc), or would you, as likely future Mach E owners, readily consider any other home chargers on the market?

Thanks in advance! ?
In a youtube video by Twit tv where they got to sit in a Mach E at CES, Darren Palmer from Ford (Product Chief of EVs) revealed that they would include a charging station with the car purchase. Not sure if its extra or already baked into the MSRP. Station will be able to handle A/C voltages of 120 and 240 (those numbers might different in Ireland).

However as long as you get a charger for home that is the CCS / J1772 you will be good. I'd wait on that for the moment. You can search them on Amazon to get an idea of what's out there.

I actually started a youtube channel (Mach Dad) with intentions of making videos about subjects like this in relation to the Mach E. I have a couple other videos up at the moment.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I am hoping to find out what a simple 240v outlet install is likely to cost. In my case, it's a fairly new home (2014) with a straighforward path from the breaker box on the outside of the house through the crawl space into the garage. 75' of Romex should do it. In fact I'd be happy to do it myself but I'm not as comfortable with 240v. And don't know if there's permitting required.

I'm considering doing much of the legwork myself (buying the materials, cutting the holes in the wall and fishing the wire so it only needs to be connected on each end and inspected), but I don't know if that will save much. Seems like it's simple enough that it shouldn't cost more than $300 or something for electrician labor, but I'm probably being naive.

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos of self-installs and it looks simple enough. Maybe I'll just do it myself.
I'm planning on doing it myself. My run isnt as straight forward as yours seems to be. I'm estimating about 100' run, as I have to go up and over my garage ceiling to get to the side of the garage I want a plug. I'm estimating between $200-400 for materials.

I'm not using a 40 amp breaker in my box because it was for a stove that's now gas. Gonna swap that for a 50amp and run a line from there. If you need to add additional breakers that might require an electricians help.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Lets all slow down as we have plenty of time for electric. ;)
And hire an Electrican !! :oops:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 120799352

Reactions: UW2

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone know what would happen if we just wired a 30A circuit? Will the 32A Ford Mobile Charger know to lower it's amp draw (or have a configurable setting) to only 30A, or will it try to draw the full 32A and risk tripping the breaker?

Frankly, the slight loss in charging speed dropping from 32A to 30A would be a non-issue to me.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
With a 30A circuit, you're limited to 24A charging current (80% continuous load).

We don't yet know how charging rate is limited with the mobile charger. Tesla does it by detecting which plug adapter is connected. I'm hoping Ford does the same, by providing or selling 30A adapters for people with 30A circuits and receptacles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With a 30A circuit, you're limited to 24A charging current (80% continuous load).

We don't yet know how charging rate is limited with the mobile charger. Tesla does it by detecting which plug adapter is connected. I'm hoping Ford does the same, by providing or selling 30A adapters for people with 30A circuits and receptacles.
That thought crossed my mind too, that if it did drop down, it would probably drop below 30A as you don't want to push it right to the limit where a slight surge trips the breaker. But even 24A would probably be fast enough.

I only ask in case there's an issue with breaker panel load that makes a 40A/50A circuit problematic, but there's enough for a 30. It's not likely though. Otherwise no reason not to just wire the 40A/50A.

I did have to replace a breaker a few months ago. After years of use, my treadmill suddenly started tripping the bedroom breaker. Turns out it's one of the new AFCI breakers that are more prone to trip when they start aging from electric motor arcing. Treadmills are a frequent culprit. That took some sleuthing to figure out. Fortunately Home Depot had the exact replacement breaker and it was a fairly easy DIY fix.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
the max charge rate, you'll need a 240V circuit rated at 40A or greater, with a 14-50R receptacle. Ford says this will let you recover about 22 miles of range per hour.---

a 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp breaker and 6AWG wire nets a Tesla around 30 miles per hour of range. The Tesla has a 11.5kWh on board charger as does the Mach E meaning the Mach E should get around 30 miles per hour of charging with this setup.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
the max charge rate, you'll need a 240V circuit rated at 40A or greater, with a 14-50R receptacle. Ford says this will let you recover about 22 miles of range per hour.---

a 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp breaker and 6AWG wire nets a Tesla around 30 miles per hour of range. The Tesla has a 11.5kWh on board charger as does the Mach E meaning the Mach E should get around 30 miles per hour of charging with this setup.
The press release I linked to is describing two different home charging options. The mobile charger included with the car is the one that can get you up to 22 miles of range per hour. The optional connected, wall charger will net you up to 32 miles of range per hour, according to Ford. (This maximum rate requires a 60A or greater circuit, by the way.)

Mobile charger provided with vehicle: 32A max current at 240V
Connected wall charger, optional accessory: 48A max current at 240V

We don't know yet if the car is equipped to AC charge at greater than 11.5kW levels... probably won't know until people get the car and attempt it.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
50 amp breaker at 80% is 40 amp continuous. 40 amp continuous is greater than 32 amp continuous which provides 25 miles per hour of range. Thus those using 14-50 outlet with 50 amp breaker and an EVSE rated for this amperage are going to obtain close to 30 miles per hour of range. No different than what the Tesla vehicles obtain.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag

So it’s a 14-50, NEC prohibits under supplying an outlet. Pretty much any electric equipment is designed to pull up to the full outlet current, so it wouldn’t make much sense to undersupply an outlet. Everything you plugged in would assume you had it wired correctly and trip the breaker.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag

So just because the car accepts the same amount of power doesn’t mean that it generates the same mileage per unit electricity. The 32A on the Mach-E generates around 22mi of range per hour, since the 99kW battery is 300miles of range.

If the Mach-E had the same size battery as the Model 3 then yes it would be 30.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So it’s a 14-50, NEC prohibits under supplying an outlet. Pretty much any electric equipment is designed to pull up to the full outlet current, so it wouldn’t make much sense to undersupply an outlet. Everything you plugged in would assume you had it wired correctly and trip the breaker.
That makes sense, if I'm understanding properly. What I'm asking is different... Correctly supplied outlet. Let's say 30A breaker with 10/3 copper Romex and a 30A receptacle in the outlet, such as NEMA 14-30.

What I would need in this situation is a 14-30 cable to use with Ford's mobile charger. Similar to what Tesla sells: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Tesla's charger appears to detect the type of cable it's plugged into and limit its current accordingly.
Sponsored