Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
do you have a Tesla HPWC? If so, would you swap it out for a Ford wall charger?
You didn't ask me, but I do have two Tesla wall chargers. I probably won't change chargers if I get a Mach-e. Here's my issue. My wife will be keeping her Model 3. The Tesla wall chargers talk to each other to limit combined current to whatever I select. I only had capacity on my electrical service for one 60 amp circuit. The two chargers can share that circuit. So I'd have to either replace both or none. It's not a problem to get an adapter to charge CCS cars with a Tesla wall charger. (That won't work with a supercharger.) I'm not sure whether or not there's an adapter to charge a Tesla from a CCS plug, but the Tesla does come with an adapter to charge from a J1772 plug. I can't imagine that all the connected charging features won't be available through the Mach-e itself.
Sponsored

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I know we are excited for the Mach E. I have read these posts and great info.
It is way too early to buy charging equipment. As I see it the Mach comes with
a charging cord only. The wall charger is extra. Myself I am only going to use
the Ford products. This summer I will run 2 dedicated lines to garage. One
will be 12awg 120 volt 20 amp with 20 amp receptacle . The other will be #6awg
4-wire 50amp to a 2-gang box. I will finish wall box when I get exact wall charger info.
With the 4-wire #6 my Tesla Roadster would charge 120 or 240. You choose your
charge on the dash. The 4-wire gives you 2--hots 1--neutral and 1--ground.
You can prepare for your Mach but assume nothing. Wrong electric hook-ups
will kill the Mach and maybe you or someone else. We will spend 40K--60K for
the Mach so do not short change or nickel dime the charging system.

Reactions: Nak

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed. I low-balled our current Clipper Creek because buying a quicker charge would have meant upping our service box. It’ll be a slow charge for the Mach-E but probably not worth updating. I’ll decide once I know more about the Ford Charger.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Since my HPWC is on a 60A breaker, I'll get the 80A JDapter and then take it with me for road trips. It's $350 though.
I feel your pain. The Tesla adapter to allow Teslas to charge on a Chademo plug is $450. I haven't needed it yet, but I will this Summer. We're going to road trip up to the North end of Vancouver Island and there are no Tesla chargers once you leave the South end of the island. It is nice to have in the car even when i don't need it. There's a few spots around here where if the Supercharger were to go down things could get tight.

Don't forget, that Jdub adapter will not allow you to charge at a supercharger.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Which 4 Getgo stations have fast electrical charging? Giant Eagle received 660,000 from pa department of environmental and conservation for this.
for the ones I'm thinking of, they aren't at a GetGo (although there is one next to the Giant Eagle), they are in the Giant Eagle parking lot, in fact about as far from the GetGo as possible.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 1582861213959

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 1582861286861

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
for the ones I'm thinking of, they aren't at a GetGo (although there is one next to the Giant Eagle), they are in the Giant Eagle parking lot, in fact about as far from the GetGo as possible.

Monroville Giant Eagle or where exactly?

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
Yeah, i'm curious if there are any benefits to using the Ford wall charger. If it was communicating to the car and vice-versa and both are controllable with the app, that could be neat but also redundant. No clue.

@LYTMCQ, do you have a Tesla HPWC? If so, would you swap it out for a Ford wall charger?
@phila, what do you use now for your I-PACE?
I am using a third party charger that charges when the price is low and I can manage via an app, do not think this one is available in USA yet but something similar to the JuiceBox which is very popular in the US and that is the one I would have gotten if I could have here.
Important for me are the following:
1) Size of the unit
2) App connectivity
3) Charges during low cost energy hours only

I would not want a wallbox from a garage / car company as 3rd party stuff is far more advanced in my opinion.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Everyone is shopping chargers. Does anyone have info from Ford about
what chargers they will allow ? Again do not assume anything. The batteries
have a great warranty and Ford may look at any way to get out of it if need be.
I still do not understand WHY shop for a cheeper charger when you are able
to buy a 40K to 60K MME ? Knock yourself out I will only use Ford Charger.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a JuiceBox which I am certain will be just fine.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Because you can use any Level-2 charger that conforms to the J1772 specification. It doesn't really matter. I'm using the same Bosch EVSE (and Juicebox, and Clipper Creek--yeah I have a few) on my Bolt that I used on my C-Max and the Focus Electric prior to that...it just doesn't matter. The electrons going into the car are the same*.

The J1772 specification even has minimum specs for protection (basically all the "charger" or EVSE is is a big ground fault protector that disconnects the car if there is a problem. The real charger is inside the car).

You can get a fancy charger with WiFi and timing so you can charge when you want or when the rates are low. You don't need this, however, because all that will ALSO be built into the car (you'll be able to set a charge schedule in the car and, most likely, check the charge state via the Ford app). None of this is new functionality--the Focus Electric had all this back in 2012. If Ford didn't include these features in the Mach-E it would be a HUGE step backwards.

At this point buying an EVSE is like buying a lamp: does the light turn on with the switch? Yup! I'm good.

*=ok to be pedantic: since electrons are negatively charged I guess I'd have to say "coming out of the car" LOL

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
You can get a fancy charger with WiFi and timing so you can charge when you want or when the rates are low. You don't need this, however, because all that will ALSO be built into the car (you'll be able to set a charge schedule in the car and, most likely, check the charge state via the Ford app). None of this is new functionality--the Focus Electric had all this back in 2012. If Ford didn't include these features in the Mach-E it would be a HUGE step backwards.

*=ok to be pedantic: since electrons are negatively charged I guess I'd have to say "coming out of the car" LOL
I fully agree with this all here except that we should not expect that the car can handle the cheap / expensive rate charging as all cars are very buggy with this that I have seen including the one I have now. I prefer having this in the charger itself as that is always on and connected to the power grid. Things are likely different from country to country as well when it comes to smart charging things but I have a electricity company which is linked to this charger and gives me power into my entire house. I get hourly rates and real time power usage all on my app and of course EV charging as well. I set the settings to when I want charge to go according to the real time rates and the charger does what it is told. It is so simple even the wife can manage it without any questions which was equally important for me :)
Very similar to the JuiceBox and some other ones except that they are not linked to just one electricity company like mine which makes that even better.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
The thing is, the EVSE provides the utilitie's line voltage to the car and communicates to the car the maximum amperage of the circuit. It is primarily a safety device and cannot damage the cars battery pack.

It does not provide regulation of any kind for the car. The the power control electronics is in the car, not the EVSE.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I have Clipper Creek and it works great.

I am interested in the new Jiuce Box design because two of them can be used on the same circuit, they communicate with each other on wifi and adjust their maximum current so that the sum of both EVSEs current does not exceed the circuit breaker current.

This is done by the EVSE communicating a Max current to the car as necessary.

Charge two cars at the same time off one circuit.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have Clipper Creek and it works great.

I am interested in the new Jiuce Box design because two of them can be used on the same circuit, they communicate with each other on wifi and adjust their maximum current so that the sum of both EVSEs current does not exceed the circuit breaker current.

This is done by the EVSE communicating a Max current to the car as necessary.

Charge two cars at the same time off one circuit.
Clipper Creek has one that does that as well:
https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/dual-ev-charging-station-nema-6-50-plug

It doesn't need to communicate over WiFi either.
Sponsored