First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From the Ford order page: "Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi hotspot."
That's their boilerplate text for connected services on their vehicles.

It might be a mistake to include it here? Or maybe the feature that unlocks the charger when you plug in a Ford vehicle is requiring the car to communicate back to the internet? If the latter, there's still the possibility that this could happen over WiFi.

This is another reason it'd be nice to read the manuals before making any purchases!
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just noticed "Ford SmartGrid Rewards" in the product description, as a future update to be delivered OTA. I don't see any description of how that works, yet.

Hopefully it means the charger can participate in demand response programs from electric utilities, and maybe earn us some energy discounts.

The specs mention that it is OCPP 1.6 compatible.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just noticed "Ford SmartGrid Rewards" in the product description, as a future update to be delivered OTA. I don't see any description of how that works, yet.

Hopefully it means the charger can participate in demand response programs from electric utilities, and maybe earn us some energy discounts.

The specs mention that it is OCPP 1.6 compatible.
Hopefully. I can't get my utility's $500 rebate unless it works in their demand response program.

I wish they didn't drip feed us information on this hugely expensive car we are lining up to buy and the related ecosystem they've developed for it.

horsevxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, 01 Cobra, 86 SVO, Mach E GT
Country flag
The site says that it will automatically pause EV charging when you run the appliance, then restart the charger when you turn the appliance off t prevent this.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
The site says that it will automatically pause EV charging when you run the appliance, then restart the charger when you turn the appliance off t prevent this.
That is cool. I dug down to where it states this. Not only will it shut off the secondary to run the primary (Car vs. Dryer) but if you have 2 car chargers plugged into it, it looks like it will step down the amps to allow simultaneous charging of both cars.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I would think running the dryer and charging a car at the same time would pop the breaker.
If I understand correctly, the benefit of that device over a breaker is
1. It will only disconnect the secondary device. A breaker would disconnect both primary and secondary.
2. It will automatically reconnect the secondary device when the primary stops. If the primary is a dryer, that's when it completes its cycles. If the primary is an EVSE, that's when it finishes charging (the primary car).
3. For some people, the breaker may not be in a convenient place.
4. Splitting a 30-amp or 50-amp socket into two may be against electric code. This device may resolve that problem due to the additional built-in safety mechanism.

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
if you have 2 car chargers plugged into it, it looks like it will step down the amps to allow simultaneous charging of both cars.
No, there's no generic way to politely tell an electric device to reduce its amperage.

The car can tell the EVSE to step down, because that's part of the J1772 protocol.

A socket cannot tell whatever device that's plugged on it to do that, unless they somehow have an out-of-band communication mechanism between them.

I believe the device will let you charge the two cars sequentially. If you want to charge the two cars concurrently, I suppose you can just reduce the amperage on each car to half. I haven't verified whether the device lets you do the latter though.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
If I understand correctly, the benefit of that device over a breaker is
A breaker and the Neocharge aren't similar. A breaker protects the wire from getting too hot and starting a fire. The Neocharge turns a single 240v outlet into two outlets, obviating the need to run a second 240v line for a second appliance (car charger, dryer, welder, etc).

The only way a breaker might come into play would be if you installed two 240v outlets on the same 240v circuit. That would be against code and downright dangerous. For example, if both appliances were drawing 40 amps through a wire a wire rated for 50 amps, the wire would overheat, which would possibly/likely cause a fire. That wouldn't happen because hopefully the breaker would trip, cutting all current on the line. But the breaker is a fail safe which would only trip if you had a wiring issue or were doing something which you shouldn't be doing.

The Neocharge intelligently manages the flow at the outlet(s) so that the draw never exceeds the circuit rating.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
(This discussion should be in the Charging subforum.)

Ford has an updated charger information sheet. This is the 2-page document that we are supposed to share with our electricians.

The link from the Connected Charge Station page on parts.ford.com is still out of date (revised 8/31/2020). The latest version (10/13/2020) is available here, and attached.

The 10/13/2020 revision has a few differences from the 8/31/2020 version:
  • Pages are shuffled such that the Mobile Charger appears first, Connected Charge Station last.
  • 20 miles of range added per charging hour, instead of 21 miles, when charging an ER RWD with the mobile charger at its full power on a 40 or 50 amp, 240 volt circuit.
  • IMPORTANT: With the Connected Charge Station, the circuit should be protected by a non-GFCI breaker since the EVSE has an internal GFCI and false tripping will occur.

Attachments

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
There are two Mac Haik Fords in Houston and one in Austin.

Mac Haik Ford Pasadena has it for $639.20.
Great deal but apparently they don't ship out of state. I tried to order one and it told me to choose a dealer in my state. ?

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
Not sure how you guys are getting such great pricing. Maybe this is part of the joy of living in overpriced California where everything is just expensive.
1602521714887.png
Santa Margarita Ford is selling for $679.15