Country flag
Yup. Yet it keeps being questioned.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
“Ford Model E spokesperson Marty J. Günsberg confirmed in an email to InsideEVs that Ford owners would be able to use their FordPass app and BlueOval Charging Network account to access Tesla Superchargers.”

https://insideevs.com/news/707443/d...3nU7HzaqCdDO0LcTx2KDYX3aTQnjgk5iYVko5KITxVc94
I would prefer they launch the adapters now to anyone willing to use the Tesla app.
And if you prefer BOCN, then you just have to wait while Ford updates their software to do it.

and wait

and wait

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Cannot wait to test this with one adapter and 3 EVs, will it work for all brands, that is the question.
Specifically, can you use FordPass to activate the Tesla SuperCharger, than plug into a non-Ford. And the answer should be "sure, it's your money". Of course Plug and Charge will only work on the Ford.

I would prefer they launch the adapters now to anyone willing to use the Tesla app.
And if you prefer BOCN, then you just have to wait while Ford updates their software to do it.

and wait

and wait

That was never an option, and never would be.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
This is really easy to implement. The code is already there and working, a simple API integration to tesla is all that's needed. The heavy lifting ala 'charge assist' is already done and working with 11 different unique networks currently. They need to push a map update to the nav to see applicable tesla chargers.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is really easy to implement. The code is already there and working, a simple API integration to tesla is all that's needed. The heavy lifting ala 'charge assist' is already done and working with 11 different unique networks currently. They need to push a map update to the nav to see applicable tesla chargers.
Just because it's easy to implement (in theory) does not mean the changes will arrive quickly. I think we all know the speed that Ford rolls out software changes.

This idea that Ford is locking us into BOCN with strategic partnerships is just terrible. We should just be able to bring-your-own-magicdock and charge however the SC allows (Tesla app, chip card swipe, or BOCN).

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Just because it's easy to implement (in theory) does not mean the changes will arrive quickly. I think we all know the speed that Ford rolls out software changes.

This idea that Ford is locking us into BOCN with strategic partnerships is just terrible. We should just be able to bring-your-own-magicdock and charge however the SC allows (Tesla app, chip card swipe, or BOCN).
I agree - If you want a dozen apps on your phone to deal with as well as a dozen unique accounts, sure, by all means.

I find charge assist app the simplest solution there is. Pull up to a charger, plug in, if plug and charge doesn't work, enter / select the charger number in charge assist and hit GO. If you've used charge assist you wouldn't be advocating for a dozen phone apps with a dozen accounts. After all, the best app is no app.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree - If you want a dozen apps on your phone to deal with as well as a dozen unique accounts, sure, by all means.

I find charge assist app the simplest solution there is. Pull up to a charger, plug in, if plug and charge doesn't work, enter / select the charger number in charge assist and hit GO. If you've used charge assist you wouldn't be advocating for a dozen phone apps with a dozen accounts. After all, the best app is no app.
I didn't say anything about *other* apps. It definitely should be chip card tap like a gas pump across the board. But I'm definitely willing to install the Tesla app because they have the largest network and most reliable chargers.

Over time, EV charging will commoditize and competition will make the differences between networks fade over time. I do think we'll see surge pricing, and pay-to-reserve-a-charger coming down as features some will offer.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Who says Ford us forcing us to use the BOCN? It could be Tesla that wants things to work this way.

Maybe this is Tesla's way of regulating who can charge on their network, and somewhat guarantee that they have an approved adaptor.

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Who says Ford us forcing us to use the BOCN? It could be Tesla that wants things to work this way.

Maybe this is Tesla's way of regulating who can charge on their network, and somewhat guarantee that they have an approved adaptor.

Ford makes money from people using the BOCN. What is their motivation to give us an alternative that bypasses their revenue generating network?

Maybe they will, because we can do that already with EA. But I am not expecting it.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

terrible? I use a range of chargers today, plug and charge with EA, plug and charge with my Y at SC are both way better than any of the half dozen apps I carry around.

My wife does not want to understand or work with apps... just plug in the car and have it charge my account...

if this is "terrible" I am ok with "terrible"

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag