billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I've had my Ford Connected Charge Station for almost a year with no problems. I did my usual charge to 90% on Friday evening with no problems, then took the car out Saturday for a two-hour drive. When I came home, I plugged it into the charger like usual, but the app said "Plugged in Not Charging" when I went to check on the estimated completion time.

@Ford Motor Company customer service is currently closed so I was hoping maybe someone had had a similar experience and could help me figure this out.

Some possibly useful facts:
1. No other chargers used between the Friday night and the Saturday night charge.
2. Ford Connected Charge Station status light is blue for normal, as it usually is.
3. The "Settings -> Charge" screen in the car says "At home. Charging station not detected."

Here's what I tried:
1. Unplugging and re-plugging the charger handle.
2. Unplugging the car, starting it, driving it for a second, then plugging it back in.
3. Confirmed in the Connected Charge station settings that the charger was in "Unlocked" mode. When that didn't make a difference, I went further and turned off Access Control completely.
4. Confirmed that both phones associated with the car and the in-car charge settings are set to charge "anytime" on both weekdays or weekends.
5. Tried turning on "Charge when plugged in" in Preferred Charge times in the app.
6. Switched off the circuit breaker for the charger (with the MME disconnected), waited a minute, turned it back on. Light remained blue, but same behavior.

What could be going on here? One thing I haven't yet tried is charging the car at a public EVSE to see if it's the charger or the car.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Test it with your Mobil Charger to save a trip. No idea on what the cause could be though.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Based on fact #3, the car is not communicating with the Charge Station.

As mentioned in post #2, try the FMC. If it works, the failure is in your charge station. If you get the same message with the FMC, the issue is with the car.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This was a good suggestion @AKgrampy and @Maquis - thanks!

Just tried it, and the mobile charger works fine plugged into a standard outlet. So it’s the station, not the car. I think this is the better of the two possible results….

I followed a suggestion on a similar post (can't find the link to it anymore) and left the charge station breaker off. I’m going to switch it back on in an hour and see if that sort of resets it. The other user said it worked for them.

Will post back with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay that worked! I waited about 57 minutes (I got impatient at the end) and switched the circuit breaker back on. The light was still blue, but this time, I plugged it into the MME, the charge status indicator lit up blue and the app is showing an active charging session.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Okay that worked! I waited about 57 minutes (I got impatient at the end) and switched the circuit breaker back on. The light was still blue, but this time, I plugged it into the MME, the charge status indicator lit up blue and the app is showing an active charging session.
Gremlins!

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bah! After a little over an hour of charging, the “Plugged in not charging” message reappeared. Looks like I still need to talk to @Ford Motor Company tomorrow…

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
I am getting the 'Plugged in not charging' error today, the car will charge about 15% and then stop, display a red ring of lights at the charge port. Also there is a burning smell in the interior. I've owned the car over a year, no previous charging problems.