Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I've done some searches and haven't found the answer.

Does the FCCS come with a plug-in option in the box or is hardwired the only option with it? The FCCS installation manual says it can be wired through the "rear or bottom" of the unit. It is unclear what that means.
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Hard-wired only. There are drill-able knock-outs in it so you can choose to either bring the source power in through the bottom ... or in from the back if you want a cleaner install.

The source 240v wire (L1, L2, and Ground) connect to lugs tightened down with a beefy allen-head grub screw.

You could certainly find a source for say, a NEMA 14-50 plug, etc. if you wanted to plug it in (and set the DIP switches to limit charging based on 80% of whatever your circuit can supply).

JFleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fireman
Country flag
I bought and installed the Ford charger. It comes out of the box as a "hard wire" only. The hard wire is most elegantly done through the back opening in the charger. You could add a cord like a 50 amp range cord for an oven and make it a plug in unit if you want or need to. If you need to see any pics of the wiring, let me know I can send you some.

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
I've done some searches and haven't found the answer.

Does the FCCS come with a plug-in option in the box or is hardwired the only option with it? The FCCS installation manual says it can be wired through the "rear or bottom" of the unit. It is unclear what that means.
60 amp plugs, receptacles, and circuit breakers are available although a bit pricey. I actually bought them and was going to install with #4 AWG wire to future proof my installation for higher amperage EVSE units. When I discovered that all the 60/48 delivered units were hardwired, I backed off to NEMA 14-50 with #6 AWG wire with a plug in Juice Box 40 that delivers 40 amps. One could actually make up your own plug-in for the Ford Connected unit, but I'm not sure why anyone would go to that trouble. The 14-50 receptacle allows the option of using the Ford mobile charger for more flexibility. The mobile charger lives in my trunk under floor and has never been used in 8 months. I really do not see the need for extra cost of the Ford connected charger just to deliver a 20% faster charge rate. My JB conveniently logs and totals all the charge session kwh's. Some other EVSE units do the same.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I really do not see the need for extra cost of the Ford connected charger just to deliver a 20% faster charge rate. My JB conveniently logs and totals all the charge session kwh's. Some other EVSE units do the same.
JB 40 is $40 less than JB 48. After the tax credit that's $28. $28 to be able to charge 20% faster is a no brainer. That's why I bought the JuiceBox 48

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech