SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
I added the charger to my cart on parts.ford.com yesterday and I went and looked just now and it says, "This item is currently on back order. Please remove item from your cart to check out.".
Sponsored

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Makes me really love my 32amp Juicebox. Three years and still pumping those electrons with nary a fuel spill..........

Wisconsin Pony Gal

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach 3 Premium AWD (AKA Lightning!)
Country flag
Good Grief! I'm going to add my whining to this thread. I was so happy on Tuesday when our electrician braved our -5 degree unheated garage to install my FCC unit, since I'm still hopeful that my Mach E will be released from Kansas City someday. I worry about the snow and cold and impact on the battery as she sits waiting (3 weeks and counting) for her ride northward.

Since then, I've been warmed by the blue light on the front of the charging unit each time I drive into the garage. Now I get to worry about both the charger and the car, again.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Not available in France anyway...
Due to some lobbying, we have to buy a more expensive one. Maybe was good after all? ?
I believe that’s because they have to make a special one that handles the 220V used in Europe... oh, wait... nevermind ??? I’m sure it’s because they have to de-Anglicize it for France ??? Some EU bureaucrat might look at one of the PC boards or chips and find something that isn’t French enough or worse... vaguely resembles... ENGLISH!!! ???

sinbinner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The Ford solution looks solid, but just be aware that there are great, comparable, and affordable options.

If you're not already following, be sure to check out Tom Moloughney's 'State of Charge' channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdX0BJNon1c6GfOdeS3pyDw

Full disclosure: I work for an EVSE manufacturer, but I have no affiliation with Tom, State of Charge, or InsideEVs--I just admire his thoroughness!

226ra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium (RWD)
Country flag
Do we have anything confirmed from Ford on this? My electrician is supposed to install next week, and I’d like to wave him off if I’m going to have to send the stupid thing back to Ford.
Buy a charge point station and return the Ford one.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
I believe that’s because they have to make a special one that handles the 220V used in Europe... oh, wait... nevermind ??? I’m sure it’s because they have to de-Anglicize it for France ??? Some EU bureaucrat might look at one of the PC boards or chips and find something that isn’t French enough or worse... vaguely resembles... ENGLISH!!! ???
Actually, no. It is really because they wanted to promote another solution for (looks like) bad reasons (friends and lobbying).
This has nothing to do with 220v, as the Ford wall box is available in Switzerland for example.
It is just topically French (unfortunately) to promote friends over real needs...

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Actually, no. It is really because they wanted to promote another solution for (looks like) bad reasons (friends and lobbying).
This has nothing to do with 220v, as the Ford wall box is available in Switzerland for example.
It is just topically French (unfortunately) to promote friends over real needs...
I was making a joke about the 220V. I know that 220V is the standard in Europe which is why I thought it would be funny :) In any event, I'm sorry to hear about the frustration in getting a charge station.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Buy a charge point station and return the Ford one.
Mine was planned to be installed next tueday. I called the dealer because they sold it to me with the car and they said "Do not install it , please bring it back for a full refund" I asked if I Can get one that works they said at this point they do not know about any fix. So I Ordered a chargepoint flex that will arrive tomorrow and will be installed on tuesday instead. It is actually a simpler cheaper install as it does not require a hard wired 60 amp line. And 10 hours instead of 8 hours for full charge is OK with me.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Finished my install yesterday, had started before the stop sell order but needed to source a sixty amp square-D. Seems there was a fire someplace and due to Covid import limits there is a bit of a shortage of 60amp square-D breakers. Of course, why not.

I will run mine until it dies, also wired in a secondary 14-50 circuit so when it does give it up I can use the portable until a replacement arrives, probably a Grizzl-E.

I also find assembling the cable holder with those recessed torques screws a real pain in the ass, it restricts a person from using a bit and requires a actual purpose built driver. Even when a proper driver is used the tip comes useated and jumps once you try to tighten the cheesey rattle out and you have to fight with it to get it seated in there firmly. Someone needs a swift kick in the nuts for that design.

Last edited:

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
Yikes. Just go with the ChargePoint.
I’ve had a Bosch L2 charger in my garage for a number of years. It only supplies 30 amps, but that’s good enough to recharge overnight. I contemplated upgrading to the ChargePoint, but haven’t found a pressing need yet. It’s more of a “nice to have” at this point.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’ve had a Bosch L2 charger in my garage for a number of years. It only supplies 30 amps, but that’s good enough to recharge overnight. I contemplated upgrading to the ChargePoint, but haven’t found a pressing need yet. It’s more of a “nice to have” at this point.
Agreed. No need to upgrade if you already have an L2 that works.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This may explain why the Ford engineers wanted to know what charger I was using when they started work on Marlin.
They requested model/serial of the charger I got also and I sent them a pic. Was using theirs for obvious reasons; was not interested to play that game to start. If buying a second party charger will fix our problem they can let us know and I am on it. They can send me a replacement for mine when they get it figured out.
Glad I listen to reddit and did a short sell on it

Screenshot_116.png
That your buddy? Good lookn guy. Watch him he will rip that head off and swallow it if you look away too long ;). Go ahead try to get a squirrel out of his mouth in one piece. ?
I was making a joke about the 220V. I know that 220V is the standard in Europe which is why I thought it would be funny :) In any event, I'm sorry to hear about the frustration in getting a charge station.
Good to see you woke up in a good mood. ?

ToddH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E RWD X Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have an L2 that works but ... 18 amps. I decided to wait before learning of this problem. I figured that with my minimal mileage I'd seldom need anything faster. Eventually I'll upgrade. No rush.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
They requested model/serial of the charger I got also and I sent them a pic. Was using theirs for obvious reasons; was not interested to play that game to start. If buying a second party charger will fix our problem they can let us know and I am on it. They can send me a replacement for mine when they get it figured out.

That your buddy? Good lookn guy. Watch him he will rip that head off and swallow it if you look away too long ;). Go ahead try to get a squirrel out of his mouth in one piece. ?

Good to see you woke up in a good mood. ?
no not mine just a meme dog from the internet but my folks had a big old husky that never tore anything up and was a pretty good dog all around except for he would lie down exactly in the spot you needed to walk and would not move.
Sponsored