shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I also finally got ahold of someone at Ford Performance who knew about the situation and verbally told me pretty much the same thing, but also added it wasn't necessary to return the Ford Connected Charge Station at this time. He just recommended not installing it yet, until Ford determined how they were going to handle the issue.
Not necessary, but why bother waiting. Of all the different chargers available, Ford's the only one having a problem. Why not get something cheaper, more flexible, and actually working?
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ford also sent me this:
FAQs:

Q: When will the FCCS stop ship be lifted?
A: Timing is still to be determined.

Q: How do I know if there is a fault?
A: The Charger will display solid red LED bar and charging is prevented.

Q: Can FCCS chargers that are already installed continue to be used?
A: FCCS chargers that that do not exhibit this fault can continue to be used. If an installed FCCS charger exhibits a fault, dealers and customers should contact Ford at (800) 392-3673.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not necessary, but why bother waiting. Of all the different chargers available, Ford's the only one having a problem. Why not get something cheaper, more flexible, and actually working?
I may end up having to do that. Originally, I wanted to go with a single-vendor solution. My car isn’t due in until the end of the month. I do have a 240V 50A outlet that I had installed “just in case”. If the Ford Connected Charge Station drags on too long after I get my car (looks like the first week in April now), I’ll call it a day and go with the ChargePoint Flex. It will be a bit of a PITA though because I’ll have to figure out a mounting location for it (I have a very narrow garage and the charge handle will stick out quite a bit.)

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
It will be a bit of a PITA though because I’ll have to figure out a mounting location for it (I have a very narrow garage and the charge handle will stick out quite a bit.)
Wouldn't it be the same pain whether you use Ford or ChargePoint, or whatever? Also if the handle sticks out too far for your situation, you don't have to plug it into it's receptacle. You can just loop it over the top of ChargePoint unit.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Wouldn't it be the same pain whether you use Ford or ChargePoint, or whatever? Also if the handle sticks out too far for your situation, you don't have to plug it into it's receptacle. You can just loop it over the top of ChargePoint unit.
No. The Ford Connected Charge Station has a separate holster. I was planning on mounting the wall wart fairly high up (about 6 feet), then mounting the holster sideways against a stud so the plug wouldn’t stick out into the garage. I’d just use a small hook on the stud to hold the cable coils. In my garage, the fewer obstructions to bump into, the better!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
No. The Ford Connected Charge Station has a separate holster. I was planning on mounting the wall wart fairly high up (about 6 feet), then mounting the holster sideways against a stud so the plug wouldn’t stick out into the garage. I’d just use a small hook on the stud to hold the cable coils. In my garage, the fewer obstructions to bump into, the better!
Why can’t you do the same thing with the ChargePoint?

https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Char...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The holster is integrated on the front face of the ChargePoint. I didn’t know there were others available. I guess I could go that route, but it would be even more kludgy.
How is it more kludgy? Because there would be a holster integrated into the unit that you wouldn’t be using? Not sure I follow. The ChargePoint is actually quite a bit smaller than the Ford unit, even with the integrated holster.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
How is it more kludgy? Because there would be a holster integrated into the unit that you wouldn’t be using? Not sure I follow. The ChargePoint is actually quite a bit smaller than the Ford unit, even with the integrated holster.
I just got my chargepoint flex installed and it works amazingly well. I have it plugged into a Nema 14-50 outlet so that alone is simpler that the ford connected charger. And it got 29 miles an hour which is what ford says abotu there charger. It was 100 dollars cheaper and the install was cheaper also, no need for a 60amp circuit.

Last edited:

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
Ok- new charger subtopic here: we’ve seen a screenshot of Ford recommending that you leave your Mach e plugged in overnight in very cold weather for battery health (I assume it draws in a trickle of power to keep battery from getting too cold). So...with 3rd party smart chargers, will you have to use their apps to ensure they are in “on” mode to allow that trickle of power to be drawn by the car?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
with 3rd party smart chargers, will you have to use their apps to ensure they are in “on” mode to allow that trickle of power to be drawn by the car?
If you want it to come from the grid, yes.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ok- new charger subtopic here: we’ve seen a screenshot of Ford recommending that you leave your Mach e plugged in overnight in very cold weather for battery health (I assume it draws in a trickle of power to keep battery from getting too cold). So...with 3rd party smart chargers, will you have to use their apps to ensure they are in “on” mode to allow that trickle of power to be drawn by the car?
By default, EVSE's are set to allow charging as soon as its plugged in. You'd have to customize it to not start charging at plug-in. I haven't set any of that in my chargepoint, just let the car handle everything.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Yes you do. But there are 2 possibilities:
  1. Your charger is always on, so there is no issue
  2. You've set the charger to be on to take advantage of your utility's TOU plan. So the charger will be on at night, when you need this trickle charging the most. During the day, your car is either unplugged (work, school, whatever) or it had been fully charged overnight and the HVB is already full and should be able to take care of itself.
You can, of course, set up a different schedule on your charger, but I'm not sure why.

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
I just got my chargepoint flex installed and it works amazingly well. I have it plugged into a NEma 14-50 outlet so that alone is simpler that the ford connected charger. And it got 29 miles an hour which is what ford says abotu there gharger. It was 100 dollars cheaper andthe install was cheaper also . no need for a 60amp circuit.
I ordered my ChargePoint last night; it gets installEd next week . :)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Anyone hear of any updates on the Ford stop ship?
Sponsored