Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Most of 48 amp units that I've seen require hardwiring.
Many do but not all. The ChargePoint Flex ships with your choice of two different plug types. Which I think is fine just as long as the user doesn't unplug/plug all that often.

I think what 1pt21Gigawatts is suggesting is having a 60 amp circuit run with a receptacle for a lower amp unit such as the mobile EVSE that ships with the Mach E. If so, that idea would work just fine because there is a Federal Tax credit of up to $1000 for that portion of the work. Actually.....I would even go so far as to say that it's an excellent idea and the only reason NOT to do something like that would be if their electrical panel can't handle the additional amps or the cost to upgrade from 40 amp to 60 amp is too great.

If anyone is planning to run a circuit for their EVSE....they would be wise to have their electrician run a 60 amp circuit and then install the receptacle for whatever EVSE they plan on using. This way they can take full advantage of the $1000 Federal Rebate and be set up to upgrade to a higher amp unit later if they desire. All they would need to do is upgrade the receptacle or hardwire right into that spot. Of course their electrical panel would need to be able to support the higher amp demand.....

Here is a link to the information I have on the residential and commercial incentives for installation.
https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
Sponsored

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Many do but not all. The ChargePoint Flex ships with your choice of two different plug types. Which I think is fine just as long as the user doesn't unplug/plug all that often.
The Chargepoint Flex requires hardwiring if you want to use it with a 60 amp breaker to get 48 amp charging.

The reason most chargers require this is that a NEMA 14-50 outlet is only rated for 50 amps. Using that with a 60 amp breaker is a no no.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
So what I was told is they are still working on getting the charger issue fixed. Either with that same company that makes the ML9Z10C823A or with a third party.
It won't be ready before December.

Supply and demand. Demand is more than what the supply could make with covid I know I know people don't want to hear covid but if you don't have parts can't make them.

Know they didn't say they couldn't make the deadline or they could. Yes kinda running in a circle.
If you need it this year for the credit best to get a different charger in my book.
Truth is all chargers could start running out with parts problems.

Once the mache and ID4 and others start hitting the dealership I bet you there will be a shortage. You can wait and it might be ok or be proactive and get one put in" if you really need it".

Ford parts cant tell you anything it's not in the system, ford performance is the same, and the route I took just said they are working hard to catch up.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I think what 1pt21Gigawatts is suggesting is having a 60 amp circuit run with a receptacle for a lower amp unit such as the mobile EVSE that ships with the Mach E. If so, that idea would work just fine because there is a Federal Tax credit of up to $1000 for that portion of the work. Actually.....I would even go so far as to say that it's an excellent idea and the only reason NOT to do something like that would be if their electrical panel can't handle the additional amps or the cost to upgrade from 40 amp to 60 amp is too great.

If anyone is planning to run a circuit for their EVSE....they would be wise to have their electrician run a 60 amp circuit and then install the receptacle for whatever EVSE they plan on using. This way they can take full advantage of the $1000 Federal Rebate and be set up to upgrade to a higher amp unit later if they desire. All they would need to do is upgrade the receptacle or hardwire right into that spot. Of course their electrical panel would need to be able to support the higher amp demand.....

Here is a link to the information I have on the residential and commercial incentives for installation.
https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
I have to wonder about something we've read in two different threads here. One is that code requires garage outlets to have GCFI. The other is that EVSE units don't get along well with GCFI circuits and the Ford Connected Charging Station strongly encourages a non-GCFI circuit. Maybe the EVSE units designed to be plugged in have different circuitry to resolve this?

I don't have a solution here but it seems there is a real contradiction between NEC requirements for garage outlets and plug-in EVSE units.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I was able to order a JuiceBox 48 just a few minutes ago. I had been checking about every hour or so and finally it said "Place Order" so I did and I got an order confirmation email and I see a pending charge on my credit card. It seems maybe others were doing the same thing because it says "Temporarily Out of Stock" again.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have to wonder about something we've read in two different threads here. One is that code requires garage outlets to have GCFI. The other is that EVSE units don't get along well with GCFI circuits and the Ford Connected Charging Station strongly encourages a non-GCFI circuit. Maybe the EVSE units designed to be plugged in have different circuitry to resolve this?

I don't have a solution here but it seems there is a real contradiction between NEC requirements for garage outlets and plug-in EVSE units.
I am not aware of an NEC code that requires GCFI for dedicated circuits. I have licensed electricians on staff so I can ask and see what they say.
I have an electric water heater in my garage and I dont think it is ground fault protected. ??

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am not aware of an NEC code that requires GCFI for dedicated circuits. I have licensed electricians on staff so I can ask and see what they say.
I have an electric water heater in my garage and I dont think it is ground fault protected. ??
You are probably right for garage circuits. My statement was for garage outlets. I think that's the difference.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I received an e-mail from my dealer that says the Ford Connected wall unit EVSE isnt available until April. Has anyone about this?
There are plenty of good EVSEs available which work fine (I have a Clipper Creek). The Ford EVSE is nothing special. And you can purchase and have other EVSEs installed without shelling out cash to Amazon.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You are probably right for garage circuits. My statement was for garage outlets. I think that's the difference.
We might be confused with the term "outlet". A circuit with multiple receptacles would need GCFI. A circuit with a single dedicated receptacle shouldn't need ground fault protection. I will still verify though...

If GCFI is required then the only way to accomplish that is at the breaker switch inside the panel. I am not sure they make such a device though...?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
There are plenty of good EVSEs available which work fine (I have a Clipper Creek). The Ford EVSE is nothing special. And you can purchase and have other EVSEs installed without shelling out cash to Amazon.
Yes. Thank you. I have several EVSEs already. I was just posting the question to see if anyone has heard about a shortage of the Ford Connected Wall unit.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We might be confused with the term "outlet". A circuit with multiple receptacles would need GCFI. A circuit with a single dedicated receptacle shouldn't need ground fault protection. I will still verify though...

If GCFI is required then the only way to accomplish that is at the breaker switch inside the panel. I am not sure they make such a device though...?
Actually, there are GCFI breakers you can install in your panel:
https://www.homelectrical.com/under...een-gfci-breakers-and-gfci-receptacles.6.html

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to wonder about something we've read in two different threads here. One is that code requires garage outlets to have GCFI. The other is that EVSE units don't get along well with GCFI circuits and the Ford Connected Charging Station strongly encourages a non-GCFI circuit.
This actually isn't all that uncommon. The code is written generally, but there are exceptions to the code. I had an inspector tell me that I had to change the outlet for a gas water heater to a GFCI (120v) because code required all outlets in an unfinished basement be GFCI protected. So I swapped the outlet, and the water heater immediately started tripping the ground fault. I called the manufaturer of the water heater, and they said that the flame sensor uses the ground path to detect flame, so it cannot be on a GFCI outlet or it will trip. I called the inspector back, and he looked into it more and found that there's an exception to the code as long as it's a dedicated outlet for the appliance that prohibits GFCI. In this case, it couldn't even be a normal double outlet because then it wouldn't be dedicated. So I replaced the outlet with a special single 120v grounded non-GFCI outlet and all was right with the world.

I assume the same exception would apply for a car charger that disallows GFCI. But in this case, the 240v outlet will only be a single outlet anyway, so as long as there's nothing else on the circuit, it should be fine.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool. Then that would be the solution. :)
No, a GFCI circuit breaker is not the solution because the charger will trip that just like it would if the GFCI was built into the outlet. The charger instructions specifically say not to use a GFCI protected circuit. That statement is enough to get an exception to the requirement for garage outlets to include them.
Sponsored