Ford Connected charger out of stock?

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I have the Chargepoint Flex and it’s great. I don’t see the advantage to getting one that has a Ford logo on it.
There are plenty of good EVSEs available which work fine (I have a Clipper Creek). The Ford EVSE is nothing special. And you can purchase and have other EVSEs installed without shelling out cash to Amazon.
You may want to consider a plan ahead 15kW charger. I installed a 200A panel to accommodate the (future)15kW charger - it requires an 80A breaker. I am (fossil fuel/nonrenewable free) all electric, supplied by my solar system. A 150A electrical panel with battery backup and all electric is not quite adequate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
No, a GFCI circuit breaker is not the solution because the charger will trip that just like it would if the GFCI was built into the outlet. The charger instructions specifically say not to use a GFCI protected circuit. That statement is enough to get an exception to the requirement for garage outlets to include them.
I asked our head electrician and he said the same thing. He was actually the one that installed the Siemens Versicharge unit here at work and he thought there was a GFCI device built into the unit and a note in the instructions that said NOT to connect it to a GFCI circuit. We pulled out the owner's manual and found the following language:

- Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID):
The Siemens VersiCharge line of EV Charging Systems includes a Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID). The CCID is required by UL Standard 2231 and is designed to detect grounding faults within the system, and disconnect power from the downstream conductors when a fault is
detected.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Here is the e-mail text..

The all new Mustang Mach-E is almost here!

I know many of you have been inquiring about in-home charging stations and we are actively coming up with options and a process. The Ford in-home charging station will not be available until the end of April. We are in contact with another charging station vendor to be able to supply us with units for you. We are also contacting a few installers so we can offer you choices for that as well. Our plan is to give our customers the ability to finance, use your Ford credit card or pay cash for the charger and installation. It is also our plan to have multiple installers for you to choose from so that your schedule can always be met. We are working to have this plan in place and pricing available in the next couple weeks so you can make a decision on charging before your Mach-E arrives.

Thank you for your patience, your business and as always, please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Once again, I got a rock. I ordered as soon as it was available on parts.ford.com. Argh

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I asked our head electrician and he said the same thing. He was actually the one that installed the Siemens Versicharge unit here at work and he thought there was a GFCI device built into the unit and a note in the instructions that said NOT to connect it to a GFCI circuit. We pulled out the owner's manual and found the following language:

- Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID):
The Siemens VersiCharge line of EV Charging Systems includes a Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID). The CCID is required by UL Standard 2231 and is designed to detect grounding faults within the system, and disconnect power from the downstream conductors when a fault is
detected.
Now that I read that again....
The CCID device is "downstream" which I presume is the power going down the cable to the J1772 connector.

There may still be a GFCI type device built into the upstream side of the EVSE.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
.....and to seemingly beat the dead horse a bit more...
Checking the installation manual for EV Solutions Aeronvironment RS EVSE, it does say there is a built in GFCI on line side as well as a different device on the load side. The device on the line side has a timer delay to auto restart after "GFCI events such as power interruptions, surges or other disturbances". After 4 failed restarts, the system shuts down and displays trouble codes.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I tried to order the Ford Connected Charger online from a dealer in Texas because he had the best price but the order page on fordparts.com said I had to try a dealer in my state, SC. I emailed the Texas dealer to see if I could call direct and order and have him ship it to me. I got this response today: "Thank you for your inquiry on the Mustang Mach-E charge station. Ford has suspended the ordering on this item through Fordparts.com due to their being pricing issues. What price does it show on the website?"
I told him thanks for replying but I had gone for another EVSE, the JuiceBox 48. Hopefully it will give me as much info. as the Ford version would. The info. in the Juicenet APP looks pretty extensive.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Most of 48 amp units that I've seen require hardwiring.
The OpenEVSE does not.
I tried to order the Ford Connected Charger online from a dealer in Texas because he had the best price but the order page on fordparts.com said I had to try a dealer in my state, SC. I emailed the Texas dealer to see if I could call direct and order and have him ship it to me. I got this response today: "Thank you for your inquiry on the Mustang Mach-E charge station. Ford has suspended the ordering on this item through Fordparts.com due to their being pricing issues. What price does it show on the website?"
I told him thanks for replying but I had gone for another EVSE, the JuiceBox 48. Hopefully it will give me as much info. as the Ford version would. The info. in the Juicenet APP looks pretty extensive.
"pricing issues" suggests "oh crap we priced this way too low" ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Any further info on the Ford Connected Charging Station? Confirmation of Delayed availability? Should I give up and go with ChargePoint+?

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
According to their website, the JuiceBox 48 is out of stock.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
According to their website, the JuiceBox 48 is out of stock.
I checked several times the day I ordered and the third or fourth time it gave me the "Place Order" button (or whatever it says). After I finished the order I checked back and it said "Out of Stock" again. I received order confirmation emails and after being shown as a temporary charge on my credit card it was actually charged overnight, last night. Still waiting on a shipping email.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now some things I have not read here, and if I missed this I apologize. The charger you get with your mache gets about 22 per hour. If you are not driving over 100 miles a day then that will be all you will need. Yes, the other charger is faster, but if you don't need it then why buy it?

Just trying to help some people out. IF it's not enough then you can have one installed. I would bet most people don't need it.
Here are my reflections on the matter.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/do-we-absolutely-need-a-wall-charger-at-home.694/#post-35642

George G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang Convertible
Country flag
I received an e-mail from my dealer that says the Ford Connected wall unit EVSE isnt available until April. Has anyone about this?
What dealer are you working with?

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My order confirmation from Ford.com actually gave me a date and time for pickup 12/31 at 1300 (placeholder date and time?). My local Ford dealer said ignore it, "probably mid Dec", but that was before the apparent supply issue.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected charger out of stock? Order Pickup.JPG
Sponsored