Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I finally pulled the trigger and went with the Juicebox 40. Had planned to do the Ford connected charger, but the uncertainty regarding availability got to me.

Considered the chargepoint and juicebox 48, but kinda like the idea of having the plug to allow me to use the charger that comes with the car as a backup or just to test it out. I figure a future upgrade to a wired unit may come far enough down the line that higher output devices will be available and I will have a car that can charge at even higher rate. Might be wrong, but the 40 amp charger should do the trick for overnight charging with the mach e.

I didn't really consider just the mobile charger, as I like the idea of that being a backup and the unit that travels with the car.
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I finally pulled the trigger and went with the Juicebox 40. Had planned to do the Ford connected charger, but the uncertainty regarding availability got to me.

Considered the chargepoint and juicebox 48, but kinda like the idea of having the plug to allow me to use the charger that comes with the car as a backup or just to test it out. I figure a future upgrade to a wired unit may come far enough down the line that higher output devices will be available and I will have a car that can charge at even higher rate. Might be wrong, but the 40 amp charger should do the trick for overnight charging with the mach e.

I didn't really consider just the mobile charger, as I like the idea of that being a backup and the unit that travels with the car.
I debated between the Chargepoint and the Juicebox.. With discounts Juicebox was $80 cheaper, but I did like the flexibility the Chargepoint provided.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My order confirmation from Ford.com actually gave me a date and time for pickup 12/31 at 1300 (placeholder date and time?). My local Ford dealer said ignore it, "probably mid Dec", but that was before the apparent supply issue.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected charger out of stock? 1604108279305
Ford has made no announcement of any supply issue--that is just something identified as possible on the forum.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

I went with Juicebox too - waiting on electrician to set up a date for wiring

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I debated between the Chargepoint and the Juicebox.. With discounts Juicebox was $80 cheaper, but I did like the flexibility the Chargepoint provided.
The flexibility of chargepoint is cool - I wanted to get their Flex model but realized that to get the max out of it the wiring needs to be at least 60 AMP and hard wired and did not want to go that route.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The point is everyone should be messaging ford and asking what do we do now? There should be a discount to anyone whose mache arrives before it is available for purchase. Things can only change or get their attention if you make a big enough fuss about it.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The point is everyone should be messaging ford and asking what do we do now? There should be a discount to anyone whose mache arrives before it is available for purchase. Things can only change or get their attention if you make a big enough fuss about it.
They say in that article that Ford confirmed to them it’s still December. It’s just an erroneous dealer.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Sounds like a false alarm then. Great to hear.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
The flexibility of chargepoint is cool - I wanted to get their Flex model but realized that to get the max out of it the wiring needs to be at least 60 AMP and hard wired and did not want to go that route.
yeah true. My panel can only go up to 50A so will be going the plug-in route but I stuck with the chargepoint..

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Good to hear others are finding that the rumor of delays for the charger are incorrect.

My dealer checked with the Ford Zone rep ... who confirmed Ford does indeed expect these things to ship in December and there should be no supply issues or delays.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As many have said, there really isn’t anything special about the Ford Home Charger compared to any number of other EVSE’s on the market. The real charger is in the car. The EVSE just acts as a safety gateway for the power to flow into the car’s charger.

I own 2 EVSE’s: a JuiceBox 40 ($550) that I use at my house and a more generic PrimeCom 40-amp unit ($400) that I installed at my girlfriend’s house. Both work equally well. The JB40 just has more bells & whistles.

For those getting a car in late December or early January, I would not wait until mid-December to try and order an EVSE.

Here’s a quick story: When I bought my Kona EV last year, I didn’t expect to buy the car on the day that I did but then I found a local dealer that had it in-stock in the trim & color I wanted. I had just ordered an EVSE 2 days before that was being delivered by Amazon on the day I bought the car. I still had no 14-50 outlet yet to plug that EVSE in to. Because I bought the car and wanted to take it home that day, the dealer couldn’t charge the battery. It had a range of 75 miles left on it with a 60-mile drive home ???. When I got home, I realized the 120V charger would take 49 HOURS to charge my Kona up. That wasn’t going to work since I needed to get to work at 6am the next morning. I ran to Lowe’s and bought 30-ft of 6ga wire and connectors to make a 14-50 extension cord that I plugged into my electric stove outlet in my kitchen. This was ugly but it worked for a few days until I could run a proper 14-50 outlet out to the garage.

In the end, it all worked out but it highlighted how important it is to have a 240V Level 2 EVSE ready to go at home before taking delivery of a new EV.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Yup. Just got done with my install today of a Chargepoint. Electrician really wanted to see the Mustang and I said "me too". That said, the Mustang is so new the electrician was making some incorrect assumptions about what charging rates the car could support.
Sponsored