Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone been able to find a dashcam with a hardwire harness that fits in the obd2 port and integrates with sync 4a? I dont want to pay for the ford one since its marked up a lot.
Sponsored

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Has anyone been able to find a dashcam with a hardwire harness that fits in the obd2 port and integrates with sync 4a? I dont want to pay for the ford one since its marked up a lot.
I am looking at the Thinkware U1000 and it has the OBD connection. I have been looking at and doing my research through BlackBoxMyCar. I found their videos and research really good so I am going to give them my business. I sure I can find it cheaper but I would rather give my money to people who help out so they stay in business. I cannot provide comment on them since I have not ordered from them. Their articles actually recommend connecting through an OBD if you have an electric car. The caveat is if you add a battery to extend the parking surveillance mode. I think that has to be hardwired through the fuse. They have a video to show that process.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've always had a single channel camera in my cars, but haven't gotten one for the MME yet. I'll defiantly end up going with a dual camera system this time around. The MME does a horrendous job at activating the brake light when in OPD. If someone is tailgating you, really good chance you are going to get hit with OPD unless the person has some quick reaction. I really dislike whatever method that Ford uses to activate the lights.

With an EV I absolutely think having a battery bank is the way to go. I just don't understand the cost of the damn things. Like I don't need a battery that will last me 40 hours for $250 bucks. Give me an option of a 10hr battery at like $100 bucks. They are so over priced for what they are that its unreal.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I've always had a single channel camera in my cars, but haven't gotten one for the MME yet. I'll defiantly end up going with a dual camera system this time around. The MME does a horrendous job at activating the brake light when in OPD. If someone is tailgating you, really good chance you are going to get hit with OPD unless the person has some quick reaction. I really dislike whatever method that Ford uses to activate the lights.

With an EV I absolutely think having a battery bank is the way to go. I just don't understand the cost of the damn things. Like I don't need a battery that will last me 40 hours for $250 bucks. Give me an option of a 10hr battery at like $100 bucks. They are so over priced for what they are that its unreal.
If your dash cam uses USB for power, can always grab those 30k man portable battery banks.. use it till it drains, switch to another one and charge it??‍♂. That's the cheap way. I personally just hard wire it on my ice cars and set it in time lapse mode with voltage cutoff.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I personally just hard wire it on my ice cars and set it in time lapse mode with voltage cutoff.
Ya, I've always hardwired mine. But with the EV I'm a little more concerned with how sensitive the battery is. From my understanding the HVB only puts a charge back into the LVB when the car is running or when its plugged in. Having your 12v get low is a death sentence to an EV and I just don't want to have to deal with that. Those cut offs are not 100% trust worthy from my research.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
It's supposed to re-charge the 12v even when powered off. The question is does it work? Per the thread post from @MachDoc it sounds like he's had at least 10 days without issue which "sounds" like it's working. I'm curious if anyone had any issues other then the 12v dying while the HVB charges which was a TSB/update months ago.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The MME does a horrendous job at activating the brake light when in OPD. If someone is tailgating you, really good chance you are going to get hit with OPD unless the person has some quick reaction.
What are you basing this comment on? In my experience, I've had two different people get PO'd because they thought I was brake-checking them as I slightly back off on the pedal.

I played with mine on a dark street so I could see when the lights come on and if anything, they seem to come on too soon.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What are you basing this comment on? In my experience, I've had two different people get PO'd because they thought I was brake-checking them as I slightly back off on the pedal.

I played with mine on a dark street so I could see when the lights come on and if anything, they seem to come on too soon.
On the phone with my wife behind me.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Ya, I've always hardwired mine. But with the EV I'm a little more concerned with how sensitive the battery is. From my understanding the HVB only puts a charge back into the LVB when the car is running or when its plugged in. Having your 12v get low is a death sentence to an EV and I just don't want to have to deal with that. Those cut offs are not 100% trust worthy from my research.
You can hardwire it to the ACC function so the camera is only pulling power when the car is running. This will eliminate the battery drain when the car is off. Also, there are a number of companies that sell camera specific batteries ( Lithium Iron Phosphate ) that will power the camera during park mode and can take the hot and cold temperatures of sitting in your car. They are not cheap but allows the camera to function when the car is parked. I plan to pick one up so it can capture the the so common parking lot "bump and run" when backing up.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Frankly, i dont have my MME to test, but ive read that ppl have used them with no voltage cut off. so i assume it works just fine without. I'll set my volage to lowest possible. not that worried.

Chapschaps

First Name
Oneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select Fusion energi
Country flag
I am looking at the Thinkware U1000 and it has the OBD connection. I have been looking at and doing my research through BlackBoxMyCar. I found their videos and research really good so I am going to give them my business. I sure I can find it cheaper but I would rather give my money to people who help out so they stay in business. I cannot provide comment on them since I have not ordered from them. Their articles actually recommend connecting through an OBD if you have an electric car. The caveat is if you add a battery to extend the parking surveillance mode. I think that has to be hardwired through the fuse. They have a video to show that process.
I tried using the ODB port from blackbox my car with a thinkware but parking mode would not work it would shut off after a couple min so I ended up doing a hardwire

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Phantom voltage drain is attributed to cameras on cars. When I leased the Tesla Model 3 I noticed the drop in charge, from overnight parking., it was plenty to.
I called the owner he explained it to me, told me how to disable the security cam feature while I had the car. Just my 2 cents on the subject. Use with moderation I guess. I can see why folks install them. Very interesting. Oh and heres why it drainded so much. My kids, there friends, going around the car, checking it out. Cameras kept going on, recording.
Sponsored