Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Apologies if this has been covered recently but I'm wondering if Mach-e owners have tried many dealers as charging stations? I know the facilities were required to all upgrade but I'm still waiting for my Mach to arrive and haven't been able to find many details for using the Ford dealers to charge.

- Thanks!
Sponsored

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Im in the perpetual wait for my Mach e to be built......
So Ive not used ANY charging but wonder why Ford does not put Chargers by their dealership gates so Mach e or any ev could charge 24/7
Free for Ford owners...a fee for all others !

What a draw that would be !

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Most dealership chargers are inaccessible during off hours. And they are slow L2.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There is a charger at the Ford dealer in Wickenburg, Az. Anyone can charge there, but it does require a third party app. It is only 24 kw though, so pretty slow for a DFDC.

Edit: Here is the link in Plugshare, this is open 24/7 and is close to a couple of restaurants.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/304382

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Im in the perpetual wait for my Mach e to be built......
So Ive not used ANY charging but wonder why Ford does not put Chargers by their dealership gates so Mach e or any ev could charge 24/7
Free for Ford owners...a fee for all others !

What a draw that would be !
Dealers aren't usually a great place to charge. There's nothing around most dealer lots except other dealers and the driveway chains go up at closing time so they're inaccessible after hours. With the exception of a few dealers with 50kW stalls, most stores have just L2 chargers. Maaaaaybe a 24kW CCS but don't count on it. I'd rather take my 150kW from a Walmart or Target store.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Apologies if this has been covered recently but I'm wondering if Mach-e owners have tried many dealers as charging stations? I know the facilities were required to all upgrade but I'm still waiting for my Mach to arrive and haven't been able to find many details for using the Ford dealers to charge.
Ford EV certified dealers are required have at least two 240V L2 chargers rated at 32 amps or above, one in the service bay, and one in the sales/delivery area. These should have been installed by May 2021. These will be used to charge up new deliveries and after test drives in addition to vehicle service needs. The public-facing charger is for authorized use (e.g. you have permission), not free public charging, so it may be turned off when the dealer is closed. These chargers are NOT for your regular use and everyday charging, that is on your own (you should install a charger at home if you bought this car).

Having a 24/7 public charger outside is completely optional and would done as a goodwill measure only. Most dealers do not do this. A lot of dealers could care less about EVs or your ability to charge there, but will happily take your money if you want to buy one.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

- Thanks!
You should consider installing a L2 charger at home. If that's not possible, use PlugShare and search for free chargers, but they will be slow - most likely 20 mph or less.

Electrify America has a high speed charger in Albany.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag

- Thanks!
Having charging at home I never use other locations to charge locally, even when EA has free weekend and some of the L2 are free, it is just a hassle. Being at a car dealership would just compound it. Not gonna do it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I'll add that dealers are encouraged (but not required) to add their chargers on PlugShare. They may be free or pay, or listed as restricted. You should probably ask for permission to charge, and they might have to turn it on for you.

However as a paying Ford customer, if you are at an EV certified dealer during business hours and are not able to charge because there isn't a working charger (it's not installed or broken), then please report this to Ford corporate. Dealers cannot remain EV certified if they don't have a charger available for paying customers to use. Again the dealer chargers aren't for your everyday charging, but if you're desperate or there for business you should be allowed to charge (unless it's busy). When you take delivery they should also charge your Mach-E up to 100% per the pre-delivery guidelines. If you take delivery with a low state of charge and were denied charging, you should also consider complaining since this is not the proper customer experience.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My local Ford dealer offers to charge my car every time I stop in. Their charger is only a 7 kWh model so it is no faster than my house.

A lot of the local Tesla drivers like to come to that dealer and ask for free charging. The dealer usually says no, unless they know them very well.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I like to think they would be willing to help someone out just in case they were on a road trip and got low on charge. Hasn’t happened to me yet but I was thankful to get some free charge at a Harley dealer before heading home on my first road trip!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer let's you charge, or anyone, as long as you stay at the dealership. Some tried to go to the football game. No dice.
Sponsored