harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Could you give specific examples of possible "other solutions" you have in mind? Also, how does this safety feature "stymie innovation more than it encourages"?
here in the US it does stymie a lot of innovation. However it is because we don not keep up with regulation. Headlights a prime example. There are new headlights available that are much better. In the US we can not use them due to 30 year old regulations. Not sure why the US and rest of world can not agree on 1 standard. The EU and most of world are ahead in this area. The simple ecall has been around for years. Most cars have everything they need to implement it. Some manufactures., Ford for example, offer it for free but must be enabled. Other like GM offer it but charge for the safety feature. The Eu decided took make it available on all cars no extra charge and that it has to be accurate. For the US would it be hard to implement? No. As for privacy concerns you can just make it opt out.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
There are other solutions for those who are concerned. I would rather spend my money elsewhere. Govts do not need to step in to require solutions which stymie innovation more than it encourages.
Problem is history has gone to show us that they don't update safety unless required.
Now regulations needs to keep getting updated over time and upping the requirements.
Back up camera are on all cars now days because they were required by regulations to have them put in. Honda for example did 100% of their cars before it was required as soon as that regulation was known to be coming. Reason being the cost to add the camera for them at the time was next to nothing because all t heir cars already had the most expensive part (the screen). I can promise you they nor of the others would of done it in cheaper models if not required.

ABS is on all cars because safety regulations. Traction and stability control is on cars for the same reason. It all for safety and forced the manufactures to add them. I know my ass has been saved y stablity control in a car of mine before and on. the flip side due to not having it I have spun out and went into a slide off the road.

I am of the belief over time we should keep updating are regulations to improve safety. The US needs to update to allow matrix based high beams. Hell I am all for auto high beams and frontal collision warning / assist systems being required for the same reasons. High beams on a car being one of the most if not most unused safety features of cars as people do not turn them on and off correctly at all. That or they turn them on a night and blind everyone.

Don't forget in the past there was a certain car manufature who did not fix an exploding fire risk in a gas tank because paying out the law suits from the issue was a dollar or so cheaper per car than to fix the issue.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
Some progress on the e-call issue.

On ETIS, the vehicle is not on hold anymore, but does require a software update. That's a good news!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Delays All UK Mach-E Deliveries Until Further Notice Due to 'Safety Risk’ Capture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 19.41.39

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
It’s only a matter of time before such a system becomes Federally Mandated for all new passenger motor vehicles sold in the US just like backup cameras became the law for all new passenger vehicles a few years back.

I do believe many of the bigger HD trucks are exempt.
Sponsored