ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
When the airbags are deployed it alerts the police/ambulance etc and gives them your location. So if youre unconscious you dont just sit there and die. Seems like its not giving an accurate location and since 2018 all cars have had to have a working system so they can't sell them until its fixed
That’s a good feature, but seems unfortunate that the vehicles cannot be sold at all when a soon-to-be-implemented OTA software fix will take care of it.
Sponsored

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
Just an FYI for US customers...not involving us. From Another web site... eCall — for emergency call — is a European initiative intended to bring rapid assistance to motorists involved in a collision anywhere in the European Union.
So howcome the UK is affected then as its an EU thing? ;)

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So howcome the UK is affected then as its an EU thing? ;)
Wild guess but UK is getting out of the EU so there's that, but I doubt it.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
That’s a good feature, but seems unfortunate that the vehicles cannot be sold at all when a soon-to-be-implemented OTA software fix will take care of it.
Because if you crash the car in the mean time, the emergency services will be called to the wrong location. Wasting their time, and putting lives at risk. Seems serious enough to suspend sales until it's fixed to me.

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
Lol, no need to doubt yourself, that was indeed what i was referring too but it was more intended towards the UK guys here. Now they have another example it was a good thing to leave as EU rules prevent you from getting your cars :confused:.

But on a more serious note, this really sucks! My car was to be delivered to the dealer this week too but I fear that will be a no go :mad:

Tony.T

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota C-HR sadly gone, MME RWD ER now with us!
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The other reason (I guess) why the UK cars are affected is that we can easily take our cars to the EU, either by he channel Tunnel or sea ferries. So if we had an accident in the EU the emergency services would be summoned. Seems ok to me as I'd prefer it if they went to the right place and not 20 miles away!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Because if you crash the car in the mean time, the emergency services will be called to the wrong location. Wasting their time, and putting lives at risk. Seems serious enough to suspend sales until it's fixed to me.
True, but this feature wasn’t even required on new vehicles until a few years ago according to @Alex_whietehad, so most cars on the road in the UK, I’d bet, probably don’t even have it at all.

Also, if this works in the UK like it does in the USA, you get connected to the emergency services and can speak to them if the system is triggered. I’d also guess people in the UK like the USA tend to call emergency services when they see a major accident happen right before their eyes.

So really this system would most likely make a difference if you get in a crash with no one around and everyone involved is unconscious - seems like a very rare occurrence to me.

On the flipside, how many people are inconvenienced by this delay and how much in economic activity is being held up.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
In US, Mach E (and most/all Ford cars in the last decade) has 911 Assist. Is that broken?

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, but this feature wasn’t even required on new vehicles until a few years ago according to @Alex_whietehad, so most cars on the road in the UK, I’d bet, probably don’t even have it at all.

Also, if this works in the UK like it does in the USA, you get connected to the emergency services and can speak to them if the system is triggered. I’d also guess people in the UK like the USA tend to call emergency services when they see a major accident happen right before their eyes.

So really this system would most likely make a difference if you get in a crash with no one around and everyone involved is unconscious - seems like a very rare occurrence to me.

On the flipside, how many people are inconvenienced by this delay and how much in economic activity is being held up.
That's the US attitude right there. Potential for wasted emergency services time and death weighed against people getting inconvenienced and the economy. ?

It's irrelevant that most cars don't have it, most cars aren't the subject of this hold, the Mach E is.

It's irrelevant that most people call the emergency services themselves, this system is automatic and has the potential to give incorrect locations, wasting time and resources of first responders if that happens.

Yes a crash involving multiple unconscious casualties is unlikely, but if it happens you certainly don't want to send an ambulance on a wild goose chase to some random coordinates while you're bleeding out.

Last edited:

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
Yes that's how I see it.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Makes no difference. This is an agreed safety feature that needs to work.

What is shocking is that it shows a lack of testing. It only took a few days for people to notice in their brand new cars that it shows their car as being somewhere else many miles away!

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's the US attitude right there. Potential for wasted emergency services time and death weighed against people getting inconvenienced and the economy. ?

It's irrelevant that most cars don't have it, most cars aren't the subject of this hold, the Mach E is.

It's irrelevant that most people call the emergency services themselves, this system is automatic and has the potential to give incorrect locations, wasting time and resources of first responders if that happens.

Yes a crash involving multiple unconscious casualties is unlikely, but if it happens you certainly don't want to send an ambulance on a wild goose chase to some random coordinates while you're bleeding out.
I agree.
Especially when our emergency services resources are limited.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree.
Especially when our emergency services resources are limited.
Plus the media backlash if a Mach-E sent the emergency services somewhere else, causing them to miss another incident, would be enormous.

If we were like our litigious American cousins I'm sure it would end up in costly lawsuits for Ford. Instead they'd just be trialled by the press here...

Alex_whietehad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E AWD ER
Country flag

Not just where everyone in unconscious but a phone left in the wireless charger during a crash probably won’t be anywhere within reach or if it is in any working order to be able to be used to call the emergency services.
Sponsored