First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I hope they'll use something already in place, like Plug Share, but seems they'll want to make their own?

I've owned Fords in my distant past, and everything had to be a Ford-o-matic this or a Ford-a-thingamagig that.
Ford's charging network makes use of PlugShare. For example it listed a charging location near me. I went and checked it out and it was an employees only location.

I checked on PlugShare as well and their info was wrong so I corrected it. Then it showed correctly on FordPass as well.
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Will this even matter? Tonight, there were 5 "out of order" chargers at my nearest EA location (6 total, only 1 available). Could have been related to the thunderstorms?

The other EA location 15 miles away had 3 out of 4 down also. EA some days is just horse dung.

Utilization is probably currently under 10% in the stations I visit so when Ford, VW, Hyundai, GM start selling more EVs... these stations are going to be a serious bottleneck.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wonder if they spend all this money and time to find these “bad” chargers if they can find anyone to fix them? Just a thought.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Both the article, and this thread, have an incorrect title.

Ford is not FIXING anything. They hope to collect data to report back to the network owner WHY a charger isn't working so that it can be fixed by the network owner.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if they spend all this money and time to find these “bad” chargers if they can find anyone to fix them? Just a thought.
Doubt it. EV chargers are a money losing business currently.

I think Ford should start funding or subsidizing chargers near Ford dealerships.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Utilization is probably currently under 10% in the stations I visit so when Ford, VW, Hyundai, GM start selling more EVs... these stations are going to be a serious bottleneck.
Yeah, I hate to say it but we (the EV community) sort of are counting on Elon and Tesla to actually open up Superchargers to everyone else so we can all live in harmony. With all the manufacturers going to electric in a big way, the stations won't be able to keep up.

Having said that, majority of us charge at home and it's only on road-trips when we'll need those.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, I hate to say it but we (the EV community) sort of are counting on Elon and Tesla to actually open up Superchargers to everyone else so we can all live in harmony.
Yeah, it won't happen in the US.

The public charging landscape here is a complete mess. I hear of crazy firmware + communication problems with CCS chargers to Tesla cars (with an adapter). I can't imagine the opposite (non-Tesla to Supercharger) would be smooth either.

Unfortunately as much as I don't want it... we need a government mandated standard.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Yeah, it won't happen in the US.

The public charging landscape here is a complete mess. I hear of crazy firmware + communication problems with CCS chargers to Tesla cars (with an adapter). I can't imagine the opposite (non-Tesla to Supercharger) would be smooth either.

Unfortunately as much as I don't want it... we need a government mandated standard.
The main reason I think it COULD happen is because of government grants/credits Tesla would collect for opening up. Nothing makes people get stuff done like money.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Ford's charging network makes use of PlugShare. For example it listed a charging location near me. I went and checked it out and it was an employees only location.

I checked on PlugShare as well and their info was wrong so I corrected it. Then it showed correctly on FordPass as well.
Thanks for the update. Of course I don't know all those details, and it's good to know.

I like this strategy for improving reliability and trust by owners when they roadtrip, it's just sad Ford has to go to such lengths, it's not a good look for EVs in general

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The main reason I think it COULD happen is because of government grants/credits Tesla would collect for opening up. Nothing makes people get stuff done like money.
For sure.. but if those grants/credit pass then the Telsa is also $7500 cheaper and push people to that brand. It's less common with the Mach-E because it is an unique car, but on other forums... a huge reason folks don't buy Teslas is the lack of tax credit.

I still think Ford needs to build some chargers. Supercharger network is great but dictated by Telsa - even if they open it up. Ford can bring traffic to their dealerships and service their customers. When the Lightning is released... they will need to do something. Many DC chargers are in tiny urban parking lots where parking would be painful with a truck and many of these cables barely reach to the port unless you are parked literally touching the charger.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the update. Of course I don't know all those details, and it's good to know.

I like this strategy for improving reliability and trust by owners when they roadtrip, it's just sad Ford has to go to such lengths, it's not a good look for EVs in general
PlugShare is not accurate either. They don't have access to live charging data (EA and ChargePoint specifically). Stations could be down and busy and you would need to open a 3rd party app to discover that.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford should install 24/7 fast chargers at all their dealerships......Very few towns are without a Ford delaership
Seems almost all manufacturers at least do 240v. It's a cost thing.

Even Tesla service centers just do what we call "Destination chargers" (240V 48A).

To my knowledge, only the Brentwood TN Service Center has Superchargers, and they removed them from the navigation as now Nashville has three other V3 (250kWh) charging locations. the SC uses them for charging cars for delivery. They are available to the public when not in use, but during the day, they're busy.

And they're really expensive to put in. Small town dealers probably already are pushing it to pay for the equipment and tooling for servicing EVs, let alone DC chargers.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PlugShare is not accurate either. They don't have access to live charging data (EA and ChargePoint specifically). Stations could be down and busy and you would need to open a 3rd party app to discover that.
Yep, good point.

There's something to be said for a closed world approach. Rivian is doing their own, Lucid is too. I remember Ford looking into it, maybe they'll reconsider just like their battery strategy (make them in-house).
Sponsored