Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang GT vert, 2022 MME Premium eAWD ER
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ford should install 24/7 fast chargers at all their dealerships......Very few towns are without a Ford delaership
That would make sense. But I am sure most dealerships would not want the extra traffic blocking space. Worried about people hitting their inventory. A lot of dealerships I have visited have very little wiggle room to maneuver around.
Sponsored

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
That would make sense. But I am sure most dealerships would not want the extra traffic blocking space. Worried about people hitting their inventory. A lot of dealerships I have visited have very little wiggle room to maneuver around.
Put the charger at the front gate that is locked after hours !

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
If Ford doesn't get Chris Hemsworth to do ads for the F-150 Lightning, then someone is really screwing up.
Would love to see that add, but they really don't need to spend the money. They have so many reservations that every truck they can build through 2024 is effectively already sold.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting PR move but why? Ford doesn't own the chargers and if they put some app time in that would allow MMe to flag bad ones with a review that we could see on the screen in the car vs opening another app on our phone that would be better.
I suspect it's more about trying to find the ones that have issues charging the Mach-E, not that are simply broken in general. So they can make whatever changes to the car software/databases/etc.

Since they don't actually own or operate the chargers, the best they can do if any are down in general is just report them to the operator. They might do that too, but I doubt that's what this is really focused on.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford should install 24/7 fast chargers at all their dealerships......Very few towns are without a Ford delaership
I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. I don't think Ford wants to get into the public charging business. For good reason.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The main issues I could see with Ford dealers adding CCS fast chargers is what's there to do at a Ford dealer? haha I can only look at the new Bronco for so long!
Exactly. There are usually FAR better locations for chargers than dealerships. In fact it's a very poor fit. They need to be co-located with useful time-killing, like restaurants, stores, etc. (And of course bathrooms.)

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Doubt it. EV chargers are a money losing business currently.

I think Ford should start funding or subsidizing chargers near Ford dealerships.
The businesses will be losing money if they don't maintain the chargers as if people can't use them then the chargers are not generating income. This is obvious to the charging companies surely?

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
My dealership has embraced the EV concept. It has installed (1)one Level 2 charger in the front of the business.
Unless you are desperate for a charge and willing to wait couple hours for 60 miles of range then I am covered. It is free also.
It is a Ford charger just like the one that comes with the vehicle. Most likely these charger outlets would know the Mach Es that plug to them in an emergency.
That is the least that they will do to comply with Ford wishes. Fast Charging station is a bit more complicated. It costs a LOT more money to install, have a dedicated space and someone has to pay for it.
These are the issues ALL of us know already driving our Mach Es. All of us know that we don't live in a fairy tale world. We adapted and we adjusted to our present reality.
The Tesla community has adjusted quite well with the help from their own company.
I know Elon is a savvy business person.
When he opens his Tesla Supercharger stations to all, he will charge a little extra to non Tesla EVs. Additional revenue to Tesla.
First though the Infrastructure Bill has to pass and implemented.
Personally, I have Adapted and Adjusted quite well with charging on the road. It just take a little more planning. My pilot training has prepared me for that. I know we plan our trips, hotels to stay, which interstate or highway to take but fueling is the least of our worries. Just look for those signs in the Interstate. Hopefully all of us are comfortable with the Navigation System of our MMEs. I use it all the time.
So....back to the original topic.
Did you all remember about Ford Fast charging? Ford Blue Charging stations at every dealership??!!
I think Ford forgot about that OR their plate is so full from orders to built MMEs and F-150 Lightnings that a Ford network is just something that is put on the side for now.
Even Mr Palmer hasn't said a word OR hinted about that Ford Fast network. I know Halloween is coming BUT don't put RIP sign on that promising concept yet.!!!!!
Good luck and enjoy your Mach Es.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
PlugShare is not accurate either. They don't have access to live charging data (EA and ChargePoint specifically). Stations could be down and busy and you would need to open a 3rd party app to discover that.
The nice thing about the BlueOval Charging Network is they can take live info from EA and other companies AND customer input from PlugShare and integrate it all into their in car navigation. Best of both worlds. That seems to be what they are doing already.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder if they spend all this money and time to find these “bad” chargers if they can find anyone to fix them? Just a thought.
Could be something they can tweak in the vehicle software that may help.

Scratching my head at this...
Try to simplify the math. Same trip (800 km) now costs me $38 as opposed to the old ICE @ $120 (before gas going up again). The ice was v8 to be at least a bit comparable with torque and HP of the MME. ID-4 maybe a different story and a 4 cylinder may do?

Once they start selling more and more of these and need to get them from 50% travel charge to 100% for customer delivery it will only make sense that they do not do all them on one L2 wall charger. Ford needs to motivate their dealers to do it.

We need to start to see gas station (convenient stores) start to put them in. They should have no problems with you sitting around buying stuff so should keep them running and you coming.

Guess we wait for Ford to get this up and running and use plugshare until then?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
For those advocating that dealerships install chargers, whether level 2 or fast chargers, I guess your dealerships are different than the ones I see, which on weekends close gates on the driveways and/or block entrances with vehicles. Off-hour access with a vehicle is not feasible.

My dealership has two level 2 chargers, located right by the entrance to the service lane. Yes, I could charge there, but usually they are occupied by vehicles being prepped for sale. My dealer told me that anyone can use them, but they must remain at the dealership (i.e. he says "no" to football fans asking to charge while they go to the stadium, which is not close anyway).

In our trip planning, I have come across a few dealerships of various brands offering 24/7 charging, but it often says "charger is at back of building" or such.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The businesses will be losing money if they don't maintain the chargers as if people can't use them then the chargers are not generating income. This is obvious to the charging companies surely?
It’s the Silicon Valley model of business. Grow, grow, grow and let the smaller companies die. Fixing and repairing seem low on their priorities and sometimes the parking lot owner isn’t willing to invest more. It’s not a profitable business and I think the real money is in the selling chargers and software services. Here is a quote from the public ChargePoint CEO.

“I wouldn’t want a driver as a customer, because I think I’d starve to death,” said Pasquale Romano, ChargePoint’s chief executive officer, in an interview. “There’s not a lot of money in electricity.”

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those advocating that dealerships install chargers, whether level 2 or fast chargers, I guess your dealerships are different than the ones I see, which on weekends close gates on the driveways and/or block entrances with vehicles. Off-hour access with a vehicle is not feasible.

My dealership has two level 2 chargers, located right by the entrance to the service lane. Yes, I could charge there, but usually they are occupied by vehicles being prepped for sale. My dealer told me that anyone can use them, but they must remain at the dealership (i.e. he says "no" to football fans asking to charge while they go to the stadium, which is not close anyway).

In our trip planning, I have come across a few dealerships of various brands offering 24/7 charging, but it often says "charger is at back of building" or such.
Exactly. Just because a dealership has a "FORD" sign out front doesn't mean it's a good location for pubic charging. Or that the dealership owner should be spending a bunch of money to offer public charging. Makes no sense.

The chargers (almost always L2) that dealerships put in are mainly there to serve their needs -- charging cars for sale, while being serviced, to demonstrate to customers, etc. They often don't mind customers using them when they don't need them, but that's just a byproduct. It's not why they put them in.

I know people desperately want chargers everywhere to serve them, and some assume that just because it's a Ford dealership they must offer refueling for their Ford vehicles, but no, they don't. A few rare dealerships may choose to for their own reasons, but expecting most dealerships to just doesn't make sense.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
The MME is already instrumented to diagnose charging problems. You need to read the right Extended PIDs through the OBD2 connector.

I was able to figure out enough to read some of the values exchanged between a DC Fast Charger and the car. This includes the charger's reported maximums for current, voltage, and power.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s the Silicon Valley model of business. Grow, grow, grow and let the smaller companies die. Fixing and repairing seem low on their priorities and sometimes the parking lot owner isn’t willing to invest more. It’s not a profitable business and I think the real money is in the selling chargers and software services. Here is a quote from the public ChargePoint CEO.

“I wouldn’t want a driver as a customer, because I think I’d starve to death,” said Pasquale Romano, ChargePoint’s chief executive officer, in an interview. “There’s not a lot of money in electricity.”
This is the same as gas station owners making peanuts on selling gas and making their money in the store/wash bay. That model has worked. You go there for gas but donate in the store. As long as they have drinkable coffee they should be good. Saw a vid where in Europe they are starting to remove pumps (not all them) and install chargers in there place.

Some of the big ford dealers will put DCFC in to prep cars and that is about it. Maybe in a pinch that will be useful?
Sponsored