Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My local dealership does not have a gate and their level 2 charger is always available. Close to a major road. I would suspect they will be installing a fast charger in front of their dealership.

I was told I could always use their charger if I wanted to.

I have seen many ford dealers off major highways so having fast chargers available 24/7 would be fantastic.
Sponsored

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
What janky dealers are you all visiting where they lock up their inventory and restrict front lot access?

If they have to lock up their lot then it's most likely a place I won't want to charge during after-hours anyway. 😑

I've seen dealers around here lock up their service department lot but never their un-sold inventory and/or front lots.

OP
OP

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In Bartow Fl. which Is not in a major city by any means, the Ford dealership had the gate locked in the front.

the rear service area was not gated but the level 2 chargers there were blocked by cars.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Ford should require 2 48a L2 chargers at any dealer that sells EVs. That's a minimum of 2, publicly accessible, 24/7 as 'oh shit' stops of last resort.

Or build out a supercharging network.....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford should require 2 48a L2 chargers at any dealer that sells EVs. That's a minimum of 2, publicly accessible, 24/7 as 'oh shit' stops of last resort.

Or build out a supercharging network.....
Those are 2 completely different use cases. Are people really going to charge on a L2 for 5+ hours at a dealership? The only time that would make sense is if they're staying at a nearby hotel or living nearby and letting it charge overnight - which is exactly when the idiots will block off the chargers without the mandate.

The much more useful case is with DCFC - sitting in a dealer lot for 30 to 40 minutes is a reasonable expectation.

As for when people will take advantage of L2: when it's free or when they absolutely need a charge. I'll plug in at a hotel or restaurant when I don't need the charge if it's free, but I'm not paying if I don't need to get a charge - and if I need a charge it's likely far more than 5 or 10 kwh.

Last edited:

OP
OP

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Those are 2 completely different use cases. Are people really going to charge on a L2 for 5+ hours at a dealership? The only time that would make sense is if they're staying at a nearby hotel or living nearby and letting it charge overnight - which is exactly when the idiots will block off the chargers without the mandate.

The much more useful case is with DCFC - sitting in a dealer lot for 30 to 40 minutes is a reasonable expectation.

As for when people will take advantage of L2: when it's free or when they absolutely need a charge. I'll plug in at a hotel or restaurant when I don't need the charge if it's free, but I'm not paying if I don't need to get a charge - and if I need a charge it's likely far more than 5 or 10 kwh.
Generally I agree but on my last trip I needed an extra charge and to play it safe I would have waisted an hour at a level 2 if the fast charger at a DD wasn’t available

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Generally I agree but on my last trip I needed an extra charge and to play it safe I would have waisted an hour at a level 2 if the fast charger at a DD wasn’t available
Sure, and I've done that myself once when I wanted a cushion going through a charging desert - but that's an edge case. If the point of Ford mandating chargers is edge cases, then the original requirement for a single L2 is sufficient. If the intent is to actually put a dent in charging deserts then half-measures are a waste of time and money and the entire enterprise is destined to be a punchline.

If done right, DCFC at 2500 locations will be a powerful statement. Done wrong it will be one more reason for potential buyers to get a Tesla.
Sponsored