Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Great info... Looks like there are differences from the US models. If the range is indeed in miles, that would be an improvement, but in line with my thinking given weight and size of the battery for the ER AWD.
The UK uses WLTP for rating mileage, which generates higher range numbers than EPA's method here in the states. It is generally accepted that the WLTP numbers are high, and the EPA a little low from reality
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
The UK uses WLTP for rating mileage, which generates higher range numbers than EPA's method here in the states. It is generally accepted that the WLTP numbers are high, and the EPA a little low from reality
So hopefully we should be able to get about 320 to 330 miles range . I could live with that

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

...all very true, but also it comes down to individual driving style, the types of journeys you do, and the speeds that you can drive at.

So actually EPA / WLTP is all just a best guess - a finger in the wind to be able to compare vehicles on the same potentially unrealistic set of rules - it gives you a rough idea, and no more.

One of the many reasons why WLTP figures are higher for Europe / UK is that we don't spend anything like the proportion of US journeys on fast roads. A large amount of our road infrastructure is old and slow (but conversely more efficient to drive on)

The only true way you will find out what range you will get in a Mach-E is to buy one and drive it in your country, on your roads, in your climate, with you behind the wheel.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
"higher losses than ICE at higher speed "

This isn't so. Both experience an exponential increase in drag. Most ICE-powered cars have multi-gear transmissions. while most BEV cars do not. That is the primary factor, not the energy source.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
@LYTMCQ - let’s not forget that according to WhatCar’s comparison of EPA vs Manufacturers - the Elon buggy’s have the greatest deviation between quoted and actual range.

That may be why your experience has not been great at obtaining the quoted figures.;)

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
"Porsche has a two gear setup in the Taycan which is why most Porsche owners are seeing 240 mile real world range vs. EPA 200. "

It isn't as if they disabled the second gear during testing. You make no sense.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
@LYTMCQ - let’s not forget that according to WhatCar’s comparison of EPA vs Manufacturers - the Elon buggy’s have the greatest deviation between quoted and actual range.

That may be why your experience has not been great at obtaining the quoted figures.;)
I'm seeing a big deviation with my model 3 as well. How do Tesla's get away with having such a high EPA rated range? Porsche was rated at 200 miles EPA but 280 miles WLTP. Reviewers are able to get 240-300 miles easy.

I recall Ford saying that the range miles are going to be conservative. Have we heard otherwise? I'd hate to be disappointed again.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I'm seeing a big deviation with my model 3 as well. How do Tesla's get away with having such a high EPA rated range? Porsche was rated at 200 miles EPA but 280 miles WLTP. Reviewers are able to get 240-300 miles easy.

I recall Ford saying that the range miles are going to be conservative. Have we heard otherwise? I'd hate to be disappointed again.
Not yet.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
EPA is so deceiving because even though they hit high speed some in the tests, it gets swallowed up by all the lower speeds averaged in. While they publish an MPGe "highway" number, I think it only averages something like 46 MPH.

And frankly, almost no one even looks at MPGe numbers. For BEVs they look at RANGE. And that's based on an even lower-speed city/highway combo. Which is often WAY off for where range actually matters: high speed road tripping.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wouldn't expect anything major though. Most clues point to a modest EPA range increase (like 3-5%) in range.
Sponsored