Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ford-ev-interest-rates-raised-for-two-models/
Summary it's going up .5 percent to 7.4%

As Ford Authority reported earlier this week, FoMoCo won’t be passing down the new Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 tax credit to lessees of its all-electric vehicles, as was the case with the previous $7,500 federal tax credit.
Instead, customers that wish to take advantage of the credit must either purchase the vehicle or obtain it via the hybrid Ford Options Plan. Now, however, it seems as if there’s more bad news for prospective buyers of Ford EV models – interest rates for two of them have increased, according to a dealer bulletin recently seen by Cars Direct.
Those two models are the Ford Mustang Mach-E and Ford F-150 Lightning, with the best rates currently available going up 0.5 percent from a 6.9 percent APR (annual percentage rate) to 7.4 percent – a deal that the automaker calls an “Always On” rate that comes with a 72-month term. Qualified customers that wish to snag a longer term of 84 months will be paying 8.4 percent in interest, versus 7.9 percent previously.

As one might imagine, that half-percent jump can have a big impact on how much buyers actually pay for these Ford EV models over the course of a loan. On a $50k vehicle financed at the new 7.4 percent rate over 72 months, buyers would be paying $4,300 more in interest, if they make those payments as prescribed.

On the flip side, buying one of these Ford EV models might still be a more attractive proposition than leasing, at least until March, when the U.S. Treasury will announce updated guidelines on the new tax credit. Those looking to purchase via the Ford Options plan can also take advantage of cash rebates of up to $2,000 in select markets at the moment. Regardless, with both the Mach-E and F-150 Lightning proving to be elusive to find and purchase at the moment (particularly at MSRP), that might prove to be a difficult task.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Clickbait CRAP.

Drives me crazy these clickbait articles. THIS ARTICLE HAS BLATANTLY FALSE INFORMATION IN IT.

Facts:

7.4% for 72 months on $50,000 = $12,070.22 in interest.
6.9% for 72 months on $50,000 = $11,203.70 in interest.

Difference is $866.52 over 6 years.

Therefore, the article is blatantly stating FALSE INFORMATION TO CREATE HEADLINES FOR CLICKING.

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Clickbait CRAP.

Drives me crazy these clickbait articles. THIS ARTICLE HAS BLATANTLY FALSE INFORMATION IN IT.

Facts:

7.4% for 72 months on $50,000 = $12,070.22 in interest.
6.9% for 72 months on $50,000 = $11,203.70 in interest.

Difference is $866.52 over 6 years.

Therefore, the article is blatantly stating FALSE INFORMATION TO CREATE HEADLINES FOR CLICKING.
I agree that the numbers might be incorrect (I didn't validate them) but the overall direction of Ford raising interest rates and keeping IRA $7500 rebate for leases don't make much sense IMO. The bulk of MMEs don't qualify for the $7500 tax credit so it looks to me as consumer that Ford is shooting it's self in the foot.
And yes I did read the reply about keeping the lease rebate would lower the payment overall.
The optics just aren't that good right now for EV purchasing power from Ford.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I agree that the numbers might be incorrect (I didn't validate them) but the overall direction of Ford raising interest rates and keeping IRA $7500 rebate for leases don't make much sense IMO. The bulk of MMEs don't qualify for the $7500 tax credit so it looks to me as consumer that Ford is shooting it's self in the foot.
And yes I did read the reply about keeping the lease rebate would lower the payment overall.
The optics just aren't that good right now for EV purchasing power from Ford.
I applaud Ford Credit for raising rates to maintain profitability. That's their job.

There's no might about it - the numbers are CRAP.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Why wouldn't Ford Pass the Tax rebate on Lease? I don't see the downside. Most Mach E won't qualify. So it's not like Ford will lose money. Seems like a lose/lose situation for everyone. Ford may not get a sale/lease and the buyer won't get the tax saving.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Why wouldn't Ford Pass the Tax rebate on Lease? I don't see the downside. Most Mach E won't qualify. So it's not like Ford will lose money. Seems like a lose/lose situation for everyone. Ford may not get a sale/lease and the buyer won't get the tax saving.
They do. You as a customer cannot directly see it.

Ford as a corporation may not qualify for the full tax credit amount so they have been using a portion of the tax credit to increase the residual percentage that is used for the monthly payment calculations. End result is the customer gets a lower monthly payment.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
They do. You as a customer cannot directly see it.

Ford as a corporation may not qualify for the full tax credit amount so they have been using a portion of the tax credit to increase the residual percentage that is used for the monthly payment calculations. End result is the customer gets a lower monthly payment.
From a consumer stand point, it feels better to see the discount taken off the top. As in the MSRP is 70k, but will give rebate of 7.5k bringing price down to 62.5k and then work all the numbers after that. I realize that ford can do all kind of things like residual valuation and interest rates to come to the same monthly payment. But as a consumer, its easier to follow the math with the money given up front.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From a consumer stand point, it feels better to see the discount taken off the top. As in the MSRP is 70k, but will give rebate of 7.5k bringing price down to 62.5k and then work all the numbers after that. I realize that ford can do all kind of things like residual valuation and interest rates to come to the same monthly payment. But as a consumer, its easier to follow the math with the money given up front.
I dunno, I've never found lease math to be transparent or in my favor. At the end of the day you don't own the asset you're taking care of and driving. So I would choose to simplify the whole lease process down to "what's the total $ I'm spending to borrow this vehicle for the years?"

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Up until recently, you always had the option to buy at the end of the lease. So I always view the lease as a win/win for the consumer. You can choose to buy at the end, if the value of the car at that time is higher than the residual value, you buy, if not then toss the dealer the keys and walk away.

Just need to pay attention to the interest rates, nothing else really matters.
Sponsored