Ford EVSE 240 dongle only works under stress - Should I use?

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
We got our Mach E in May 2022 and have been slow charging using 110 and it's been working great only slowly.
We finally got an electrician out yesterday to install 240 and was super excited about faster charge times.

Plugged in before the electrician left the house hanging loose from the outlet and it worked but once I mounted the EVSE to the wall using the bracket it stopped working.
Playing with moving around the EVSE would flash off and on. I had the electrician return to test and everything works from the plug and power is getting the prongs on the EVSE. We tested moving it around and placing the cord under stress it functions. Any other position it doesn't work. It's currently mounted sideways to the right and not straight down. Electrician and I both tested for excessive heat on the dongle and it was normal to touch.
We think the dongle is bad. Never used it before yesterday it was pulled straight from the plastic bag.
Called the dealer for the next service appointment and it's on Sept 1st so I have to wait several weeks and I have to bring the car and EVSE into the dealer for them to test together.

The question can I use it with a slight bend in the dongle?

Has anyone else had issues with the dongles?

@Ford Motor Company Why do I need to bring in the car and EVSE to the dealership before getting a replacement part? The dongle is clearly the issue but the dealer's hands are tied and can't replace until a technician sees the problem in person. This will take hours of time for everyone.
Sponsored

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check to see that the dongle is firmly seated in the FMC. Common issue.
Reseated multiple times by both me and the electrician.
The bend in the dongle gets it working. Otherwise, it just goes off and on with various flashing blue, yellow, or red lights.

Edit - Bummer the dongle is an issue but now that I've confirmed that's not my issue (at least I hope) can I use it with a bend in the cord until it gets replaced?

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Reseated multiple times by both me and the electrician.
The bend in the dongle gets it working. Otherwise, it just goes off and on with various flashing blue, yellow, or red lights.

Edit - Bummer the dongle is an issue but now that I've confirmed that's not my issue (at least I hope) can I use it with a bend in the cord until it gets replaced?
I would double check that the plug is FIRMLY seated. If it will work bent then, at least to me, that is indicative of a contact issue. Poor electrical contact normally results in heat which then causes damage. Personally I would not do it. Ask the dealer if they have one you can borrow for a test versus bringing it in. Also inspect the EVSE plug for damage.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another question - what quality is your 240V plug? If things work with the cord bent then I assume it is also placing pressure on the 240V connection on the wall. You can read several threads where people went with cheap 15-40 recepticals to their detriment. Of course it could be the dongle as you mentioned.

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would double check that the plug is FIRMLY seated. If it will work bent then, at least to me, that is indicative of a contact issue. Poor electrical contact normally results in heat which then causes damage. Personally I would not do it. Ask the dealer if they have one you can borrow for a test versus bringing it in. Also inspect the EVSE plug for damage.
This EVSE has been used non stop since purchased new with 110. The 240 dongle was in bag until yesterday. FIRMLY plugged and unplugged at least a dozen times since last night and this AM. The electrician also inspected it and tried reseating it.
Wiggling the base where it is plugged in doesn't impact it only moving the cord.
We think it's inside the cord that it has an issue.
All the dealers are 30+ minutes away and don't have "spares" that I can use. Neither of the dealers closest to me is where I purchased the car. The one I'm going to use did do service on our Expedition recently so they are doing their best to get us in and get it replaced.
Another question - what quality is your 240V plug? If things work with the cord bent then I assume it is also placing pressure on the 240V connection on the wall. You can read several threads where people went with cheap 15-40 recepticals to their detriment. Of course it could be the dongle as you mentioned.
Pushing on the plug when plugged in doesn't change anything electrician tried that first.
This was a professional install with an Eaton receptacle and high-grade wire. It's only a couple of feet from the main circuit box.

I will monitor it when in use and make sure it doesn't get hot and use until my service appointment.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This EVSE has been used non stop since purchased new with 110. The 240 dongle was in bag until yesterday. FIRMLY plugged and unplugged at least a dozen times since last night and this AM. The electrician also inspected it and tried reseating it.
Wiggling the base where it is plugged in doesn't impact it only moving the cord.
We think it's inside the cord that it has an issue.
All the dealers are 30+ minutes away and don't have "spares" that I can use. Neither of the dealers closest to me is where I purchased the car. The one I'm going to use did do service on our Expedition recently so they are doing their best to get us in and get it replaced.

Pushing on the plug when plugged in doesn't change anything electrician tried that first.
This was a professional install with an Eaton receptacle and high-grade wire. It's only a couple of feet from the main circuit box.

I will monitor it when in use and make sure it doesn't get hot and use until my service appointment.
Any chance you may elect to go with another EVSE? I tested my Ford unit and it now stays in the car and I use a ChargePoint. Only reason I ask is why wait to make the switch if that may be your intention. I would still have the Ford charger tested and replaced under warranty. There are quite a few posts of the mobile charger having issues after a period of time. Best of luck no matter what path you choose!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
We got our Mach E in May 2022 and have been slow charging using 110 and it's been working great only slowly.
We finally got an electrician out yesterday to install 240 and was super excited about faster charge times.

Plugged in before the electrician left the house hanging loose from the outlet and it worked but once I mounted the EVSE to the wall using the bracket it stopped working.
Playing with moving around the EVSE would flash off and on. I had the electrician return to test and everything works from the plug and power is getting the prongs on the EVSE. We tested moving it around and placing the cord under stress it functions. Any other position it doesn't work. It's currently mounted sideways to the right and not straight down. Electrician and I both tested for excessive heat on the dongle and it was normal to touch.
We think the dongle is bad. Never used it before yesterday it was pulled straight from the plastic bag.
Called the dealer for the next service appointment and it's on Sept 1st so I have to wait several weeks and I have to bring the car and EVSE into the dealer for them to test together.

The question can I use it with a slight bend in the dongle?

Has anyone else had issues with the dongles?

@Ford Motor Company Why do I need to bring in the car and EVSE to the dealership before getting a replacement part? The dongle is clearly the issue but the dealer's hands are tied and can't replace until a technician sees the problem in person. This will take hours of time for everyone.
Just get a permanent EVSE and use the ford charger as backup.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I echo previous comments about using a charger that has an intermittent connection as it could melt something or cause a fire.

I have had poor luck with my Ford portable EVSE, and there are lots of complaints about it overheating. In general, I think it is poorly made. Maybe you can get Ford to give you a replacement under warranty. And maybe the new one will have the overheating problem fixed. Mine takes about an hour to overheat when used in warm/hot environments.

Definitely consider getting a new EVSE. Grizzl-e makes a reliable and inexpensive one. And it is faster than the Ford EVSE.

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just get a permanent EVSE and use the ford charger as backup.
I echo previous comments about using a charger that has an intermittent connection as it could melt something or cause a fire.

I have had poor luck with my Ford portable EVSE, and there are lots of complaints about it overheating. In general, I think it is poorly made. Maybe you can get Ford to give you a replacement under warranty. And maybe the new one will have the overheating problem fixed. Mine takes about an hour to overheat when used in warm/hot environments.

Definitely consider getting a new EVSE. Grizzl-e makes a reliable and inexpensive one. And it is faster than the Ford EVSE.

We have been using 110 L1 since May so some would call that cheap but I prefer frugal.

When the budget allows I will replace it with a better model and the Grizzl-e is priced right.

We still should receive a working EVSE IMO

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
The Ford mobile charger is notoriously flaky. Do yourself a favor and get a better quality third party EVSE like Grizzl-E, ClipperCreek, ChargePoint, JuiceBox, or WallBox. Keep the Ford charger in your car for infrequent emergency use. Ford should be well aware of these issues and really should issue a recall/replace it with a better designed EVSE that doesn’t have these issues.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
If you get a new 220 dongle and they let you keep the old one, please do a post mortem on the old one and tell us what you find?

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you get a new 220 dongle and they let you keep the old one, please do a post mortem on the old one and tell us what you find?
I like the way you think. I'll try won't be until after Sept 1st that's when my appointment is set.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
We still should receive a working EVSE IMO
Many EVs are sold with no EVSE at all.

The FMC is now a $500 option on the 2023 F150 Lightning. That should free up a supply of warranty replacement units 😀.

But to your point, if one is supplied, it should be functional!
Sponsored