Ford Explorer EV revealed (Europe only)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Looking at the press photos it looks smaller than the ICE explorer by about a height of 6" or so, and at least a foot in length. I'm disappointed, I was really hoping for the full size SUV treatment so my 3 kids aren't complaining about sitting in the same row together.

It looks comparable to the mach-e in size and capacity so I'm not seeing a value here over the MME, unless it comes in at 35k USD ...

ca1d215c591d2356acb0b071583798d1.png

Also, that light blue color makes this thing look too soft and pillowy, like it's for some lily-ass sissy boys secure in their masculinity or something crazy. Needs to go with a dark color to give it some weight and compensation.

I'm not surprised they ditched the knob on screen but I don't like the decision. I'll bet Ford has collected enough data from all of us to prove that we are using the volume rocker on the steering wheel much more than the knob, or *shudder* voice commands...

And lastly, it's a ballsy move on Ford's marketing team, rendering chargers in the middle of fucking nowhere when their dealers aren't rushing to put chargers in anytime soon. Bravo.

Back to the car. Looks meh. 5/10.
To each there own. I don't like this as much as the MME, but it is much better than a Tesla 3 or Y.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Well, it’s pretty ugly and ditching the knob was stupid. That provided distinctiveness in the UI. Oh, and #NotAnExplorer 😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Everyone - remember, this is not a product for the NA market. Only Europeans are being stuck with this fake “explorer”. Hopefully, the REAL Explorer Lightning (or whatever) is what we expect.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can read and I know this will only be available in Europe but I would but I like the looks myself and hope the US version looks somewhat like it. The reality is, at least to me, is Ford, will need to streamline future EV’S to make them as aero as practical so they will most likely lose some height and ground clearance.

theriddler

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know enough about it yet to have much of an opinion. On Aesthetics alone I would say I do not like the front end and I detest the wheels (they remind me of the Ionic 5, which I personally think is far worse looking than a Tesla Model Y). The sides and window lines I do not mind. The interior does not look bad to me although I am not a fan of the infotainment controls if they are like the ID4's. The specs are what I really want to see. That is what more of my opinion would be based on but I understand what you are saying.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Some UI screenshots from the video. Buttons may be different??

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Explorer EV revealed (Europe only) 1679441639895
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Explorer EV revealed (Europe only) 1679441730659
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Explorer EV revealed (Europe only) 1679441673718

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They should have just called this a Kuga EV. That's the European name for the Escape. It's just about the same size as an Escape. Same height, and only a few inches longer.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Also, that light blue color makes this thing look too soft and pillowy, like it's for some lily-ass sissy boys secure in their masculinity or something crazy. Needs to go with a dark color to give it some weight and compensation.
No toxic masculinity in that quote.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I don't know the VW interface at all. I can't tell if this is a fork of the OS we're using or if it's a fork off of the VW OS or if it's ....

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Some UI screenshots from the video. Buttons may be different??

Wonder if this is the new Ford Android interface or a spin of whatever VW uses?

And yes, I understand this won't be the version we get, but we should still be looking at it carefully to see what's in store. Elements of it will probably used in future Ford EVs.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Everyone - remember, this is not a product for the NA market. Only Europeans are being stuck with this fake “explorer”. Hopefully, the REAL Explorer Lightning (or whatever) is what we expect.
Have LOL at this, but are you not driving a fake mustang as was this not what was said about the mustang Mach-e on its launch.

It should have been obvious from the mach-e that for EVs Ford offerings they are going down the path of using popular name plates as a way to help sell them and plan on offering a number of different sized vehicles under the same name banner.

Ideally they should have called this the explorer sport, the same way they have done with the bronco and bronco sport as that would have opened the door for selling it over here in time as plenty of people will like the chunkier looks of this vs current the escape / kuga.

I do not like the lack of physical buttons (deal breaker right there) but the screen is far better integrated than on the mach-e along with the locked storage solution it offers if Ford have sense they will stick with this idea going forward on future EVs while adding physical hvac buttons.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
gee willikers - an American car brand made in Germany, sold in America under the American car brand name?
Who'd a thunk it? Cadillac Catera.......(Opel), etc.
Would anyone purchase such a thing?
Sponsored