FORD FURTHER POSTPONES NA PRODUCTION RESTART TO PROTECT WORKFORCE - UNKNOWN RESTART DATE

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Of course they’ve been saying Tesla wouldn’t survive for years and they just continue to get healthier. Just ask the short sellers who have lost huge amounts of money on Tesla.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford was in trouble before the USA shut down:

https://www.ccn.com/heres-why-ford-motor-company-still-cant-avoid-bankruptcy/

This doesn't bode well for the Mach-E ever coming into full production, and certainly not in the next year... And so maybe selling pickup trucks in high volume is NOT a profitable way to run a company...
Not sure how much credence I put in that website. Looks like a cryptocurrency website out of Norway. A bit out of the mainstream.

That's not to say that Ford was in great shape before, or might not have to seek bankruptcy protection. Many companies probably will from this unprecedented crisis shutting down industries. But that depends a lot on how long this thing lasts, and no one knows that yet. There's also unprecedented government money being thrown at industries to keep them afloat.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

This doesn't bode well for the Mach-E ever coming into full production, and certainly not in the next year... And so maybe selling pickup trucks in high volume is NOT a profitable way to run a company...
That guy has been pushing that story for a while, and I'm not really sure what his agenda is. As always, you have to apply a healthy filter to what you see on the internet. Tesla lost money for more then a decade before finally posting profits, and the worst case here is that Ford retrenches and cancels the Mach E - which is highly unlikely. Even if it happens, you'll get your money back and you'll have to buy a different car. First world problems.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
and the worst case here is that Ford retrenches and cancels the Mach E
And no way that's happening IMO. It's too far along, and too important to their future. If they have to scale back, I would think it would be some other models instead (or maybe the entire Lincoln brand).

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

That article was already the subject of a thread here... and I'm still not losing sleep over it:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-is-going-bankrupt.348/#post-5074

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
And no way that's happening IMO. It's too far along, and too important to their future. If they have to scale back, I would think it would be some other models instead (or maybe the entire Lincoln brand).
Oh, me either. I have no doubt there will be a 2021 Mach E, but even if there wasn't I am pretty sure Ford will survive.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Not sure how much credence I put in that website. Looks like a cryptocurrency website out of Norway. A bit out of the mainstream.

That's not to say that Ford was in great shape before, or might not have to seek bankruptcy protection. Many companies probably will from this unprecedented crisis shutting down industries. But that depends a lot on how long this thing lasts, and no one knows that yet. There's also unprecedented government money being thrown at industries to keep them afloat.
It was meant as a representative news story; there are many, as you can see if you Google "Ford financial problems"...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...ford-earnings-fourth-quarter-2019/4626722002/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fords-operating-income-falls-by-two-thirds-11580851018

I'm just expressing concerns as a potential Mach-E buyer about Ford's health in making and maintaining these vehicles in the years to come.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was meant as a representative news story; there are many, as you can see if you Google "Ford financial problems"...

I'm just expressing concerns as a potential Mach-E buyer about Ford's health in making and maintaining these vehicles in the years to come.
Yes, there are articles about the fact that Ford sales are down and those are hampering its turnaround. That's frankly not even up for debate.
We were responding to the sensationalist article you posted claiming Ford bankruptcy is inevitable. To that point and as I mentioned in the other thread about that article, if you also want to search on Google for 2018 articles, you will find many then also predicting a Ford bankruptcy.
I'm therefore still not losing sleep over Ford's ability to field and support this vehicle in the future. In fact, if anything, I think such articles only reinforce the importance of this vehicle launch and the emphasis Ford will likely place on it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...ford-earnings-fourth-quarter-2019/4626722002/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fords-operating-income-falls-by-two-thirds-11580851018

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't saying you were wrong to post that or anything. It's still worth seeing his opinion. I was just pointing out that I didn't find it to be as credible as other more mainstream news sources.

As I noted, yes, Ford wasn't in great shape before all this either. And this will clearly hurt them (and all automakers). But I'm not as convinced that they're flatly headed for bankruptcy like this guy is.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Overall models were again revised downward this morning. Latest modeling now showing total U.S. deaths projected to be at about 60,000. That's a precipitous drop from early models. Couple that with the fact that in the U.S., underlying health issues that may actually have been the cause of death, are nonetheless signed off as COVID 19 deaths. In other countries underlying conditions are often put down as the actual cause of death. So in effect, relative to some other countries, our COVID 19 death toll may be somewhat exaggerated. We just don't really know.

I've said it before, these models are about as good as some that are used for meteorological & climatological purposes. Just a pity that we have to run our country from these notoriously inaccurate models. :(

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Couple that with the fact that in the U.S., underlying health issues that may actually have been the cause of death, are nonetheless signed off as COVID 19 deaths.
Actually, this assumption is incorrect (despite some theories I've seen floating on Facebook and elsewhere). CDC only reports confirmed COVID 19 deaths. CDC even assumes a pneumonia death is unrelated to COVID unless a positive COVID result is confirmed.
Most experts believe that, especially given the lack of widespread testing (even post mortem) in the US, the actual deaths resulting from COVID 19 are likely significantly higher than confirmed. Recent articles in US News & World Report as well as the Economist have addressed this.

We can all agree though that it is good to see a drop in forecast deaths. But before we run out and hug our neighbor, we should keep in mind the small print on those lower forecasts -- the drop assumes that current stay in place and other spread prevention steps remain in place.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, this assumption is incorrect (despite some theories I've seen floating on Facebook and elsewhere). CDC only reports confirmed COVID 19 deaths. CDC even assumes a pneumonia death is unrelated to COVID unless a positive COVID result is confirmed.
Most experts believe that, especially given the lack of widespread testing (even post mortem) in the US, the actual deaths resulting from COVID 19 are likely significantly higher than confirmed. Recent articles in US News & World Report as well as the Economist have addressed this.
Actually that's not correct. It came out during yesterday's briefing with Dr. Birx & Fauci that the deaths reported in the U.S. are sometimes reported at COVID 19 deaths when there were actually underlying health issues which may have been the true cause of death. This is not made up by someone on Facebook, it was discussed at yesterday's briefing.

But yes, we can agree that the continuing revision of these models downward is good to see. Perhaps soon we can see the country reopen in a limited manner. I actually think most people will be reluctant to go back to their 'normal way' (handshaking, hugging etc) once this is over. In fact there was survey that showed this. Will there be idiots who do dumb things? Yes, there are always are.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Much of the drop in total mortality numbers has also resulted from the rapid implementation of social distancing and other measures to "flatten the curve". However, if those measures are removed too soon, the second spike (and there will be one just as was seen in most cities after the 1918 influenza) could result in more deaths. Total mortality is based on both spikes and just as we've reduced them through good policy, we can raise them again with bad policy. Of course, we could just ignore the models, lick our fingers and stick them in the air and go with our gut rather than using all the tools at our disposal to make intelligent decisions.

Either way, my post said nothing about the number of total deaths. The models I cited are discussing timing and how soon Detroit auto factories can open back up. However, as discussed in my first paragraph, if the Big 3 open them up wrong they'll just end up shutting them down again.
Sponsored