TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It should help in rural areas, as Coral mentioned. Plus, distribute the utilization in denser areas.

IMO savvy dealers will figure a way to make it work to their benefit.
Rural dealerships (on average) are probably the least likely to spend the money to do this.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I feel like the stringent requirements of "must install DCFC" is rather wrongheaded. This is going to just anger dealerships by attempting to strong arm them. Why not divert that effort to enforce this rule instead into a meaningful partnership with ChargePoint.

How about this: give more incentive for dealerships to have more than one person in their service department become trained up in repairing EVs. That should be really the only requirement.

Maybe. You have to wonder what the local dealership business looks like in 10 years. Around a third of the states have announced bans on new ICE car sales by then.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe. You have to wonder what the local dealership business looks like in 10 years. Around a third of the states have announced bans on new ICE car sales by then.
That's in 10 years though, if that even stays in place (the laws will change if they can't match reality). They're usually more concerned with surviving the next year or two, with the vehicles that are 94% of the new market still. And 99% of the service and parts sales. And 99% of the used car market.

Eventually they'll need to add on EVs to stay in business but for many its just way too soon to mess with.

At least in theory, they stand to get very little business from EV service and parts sales. That's a big share of the their business.

Last edited:

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
Rural dealerships (on average) are probably the least likely to spend the money to do this.
Yeah, agree. But it's potentially short-sighted in many areas. As rural dealers become less rural over the next decade, i.e. nearer to growing areas, they may miss out.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
How about this: give more incentive for dealerships to have more than one person in their service department become trained up in repairing EVs. That should be really the only requirement.
This would just make customer experience bad if the dealer is labeled as EV service capable but not equipped for many jobs.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, agree. But it's potentially short-sighted in many areas. As rural dealers become less rural over the next decade, i.e. nearer to growing areas, they may miss out.
They'll presumably be able to EV certify at any point. It'll be a cost-benefit decision for each. For most rurals though, I'd guess that won't be soon.

In fact, I'd guess most dealerships see consolidation ahead, with half going out of business over the next 15 years. As such, many may just plan to ride our the ICE era until it can't support them anymore, then sell off their now-valuable real estate.

New car sales are only something like a quarter of dealership profits. Used cars, service, and parts make up the other quarters. The latter two won't be much with EVs. That should mean like half the revenue potential, which means many having to shrink/fold.

And with manufacturers trying to imposed fixed pricing for new cars, that cuts further into their revenue potential. It's a fading business model.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
DCFC equipment are not cheap nor are the utility companies to provide 480V 3 phase power.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Actually, I think the Rural areas in many ways are much further in technology advancement than many people realize.

If you have ever been around any farm equipment lately, you will soon realize that they have many more features than even the most luxurious high priced vehicle. Tractors were equipped with GPS in the 90's and I remember going from the Tractor to the pickup in the 70's growing up wondering why the Tractor seemed so much nicer?

Also, with the Schooling. The Rural areas were teaching remotely or what they called distance learning, well before their City counterparts.

I guess what I am trying to convey is that the vast part of the US is Rural and I believe Ford's push for this won't be much of a problem overall. Many of the Dealership's are combined with smaller communities within each Rural area and I think they can handle this fairly easily. Many Dealership's have different names on them but are owned by one conglomerate with deep pockets.

The Dealerships will NEED to change here soon. Just like any other business, they will either adapt or get out all together. The writing is on the wall and Ford is just nudging them to accept this sooner rather than later IMO.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This would just make customer experience bad if the dealer is labeled as EV service capable but not equipped for many jobs.
Confused by this statement. All a dealership should really need to be EV certified is the parts, tools and training to work on the vehicles. A Level 2 charger or a few wouldn't hurt. Forcing dealerships to pay for DCFC stations seems like a waste of resources.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Stealerships have been strong arming Ford's EV customers for the past 2 years with lackluster service, ignorant staff, and absurd ADM. The way I see it Ford has two options to compete with Tesla and other EV brands: either whip your dealers into shape or watch your billions of dollars invested into EV technology and development flush down the toilet because your dealer network isn't doing their part to evolve.

Change is never comfortable but always required to stay competitive.

I just sold my GT to Carvana, used, 5000 miles, they sold it $10k above MSRP in 4 days, whoever bought that car, could've walked into any dealer and paid that ADM the dealer was asking and the car would cost him less, they not only paid $10k above, they lost $7500 Federal, 750 clean air board resource and 2000 from California, a total of $10750 on top of that $10000 above MSRP, on a used vehicle!

Carmax is doing the exact same thing, my cousin just got a GT for $5k above MSRP, brand new delivery miles only! who you think was fair? that "Stealership" or Carmax/Carvana?

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I just sold my GT to Carvana, used, 5000 miles, they sold it $10k above MSRP in 4 days, whoever bought that car, could've walked into any dealer and paid that ADM the dealer was asking and the car would cost him less, they not only paid $10k above, they lost $7500 Federal, 750 clean air board resource and 2000 from California, a total of $10750 on top of that $10000 above MSRP, on a used vehicle!

Carmax is doing the exact same thing, my cousin just got a GT for $5k above MSRP, brand new delivery miles only! who you think was fair? that "Stealership" or Carmax/Carvana?
They're both shit. But the dealer carries a responsibility to fully support the vehicles they sell. And right now, Ford is failing on that front.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
At this point we've no idea exactly how Ford will allow dealerships to meet the DCFC requirement. E.g., would a partnership with a 3rd party such as Chargepoint be ok? (My guess, likely.) Will Ford offer financing or some sort to dealerships, perhaps just those meeting certain requirements? (Seems not entirely unlikely.)

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
At this point we've no idea exactly how Ford will allow dealerships to meet the DCFC requirement. E.g., would a partnership with a 3rd party such as Chargepoint be ok? (My guess, likely.) Will Ford offer financing or some sort to dealerships, perhaps just those meeting certain requirements? (Seems not entirely unlikely.)
This was my thinking. They didn't tell us the full specs and I'm sure the dealers have some leeway.

That said, back when I was a General Motors guy, my Chevy/ Caddy/GMC dealer refused to opt in for the Bolt etc. I told them it was a mistake and now they admit it. They lost a ton of sales.

Measure your options....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's in 10 years though, if that even stays in place (the laws will change if they can't match reality). They're usually more concerned with surviving the next year or two, with the vehicles that are 94% of the new market still. And 99% of the service and parts sales. And 99% of the used car market.

Eventually they'll need to add on EVs to stay in business but for many its just way too soon to mess with.

At least in theory, they stand to get very little business from EV service and parts sales. That's a big share of the their business.
Agreed. As always in the US the mantra is "make money now, and worry about the future when we get there". On @Kamuelaflyer's island and in many other regions with lower population density it's a no-brainer to stick with ICE sales, service, and maintenance: that's where the money is. BEV's have much lower potential for aftermarket service, and now Ford is making sure they make less on the front-end as well. If and when ICE are really end-of-life'd from a new car sales perspective they'll still make money on used car sales and service - and can worry about getting in the BEV game then.

There's also the political aspect: BEV's are now being turned into a red/blue issue so those red states will never ban ICE - so there will be plenty of sales for an ICE-only dealer for decades to come.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Confused by this statement. All a dealership should really need to be EV certified is the parts, tools and training to work on the vehicles. A Level 2 charger or a few wouldn't hurt. Forcing dealerships to pay for DCFC stations seems like a waste of resources.
In the post I quoted you said training techs should be the only requirement.
Sponsored