heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Once again, if we compared this to the typewriter repairman in the early 80's, one may ask of the incentive of investing in Schooling to learn about this computer thing when I only can imagine having one or two computer repairs per year. If I concentrate on the typewriters I should be good to go.

The EV's as of today, don't generate much cash compared to the ICE counterparts the same way Computer Repair consisted in the early to mid 80's. Fast forward a few years and you will be playing catch up if you didn't get on board early.

The Dealerships that invest early will be in a much better position than those that chose not to invest early. Just ask a typewriter repairman what they may think.;)
The problem I see in the typewriter example is that the advantages of the computer vs the typewriter were a lot greater than EV vs ICE. At least right now there is not that much more of an advantage for the average consumer to switch to an EV and right now the cost difference between the EV and ICE is enough to keep a lot people buying ICE (and that is even before factoring in the inconvenience of public charging vs gassing up an ICE).
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Problem is we don't have all the facts as to what Farley has said and what direction it will go.
Yup.

Requiring dealers to do one or the other will be a huge mistake as there's no upside for dealers without ICE vehicles for some time absent a big change in Ford's pricing policy for dealers and huge production increases.

And if that turns out to be the case, Mr. Farley ...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford gives dealers 2 months to accept new rules or stop selling EVs. 1663468415603

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
The problem I see in the typewriter example is that the advantages of the computer vs the typewriter were a lot greater than EV vs ICE. At least right now there is not that much more of an advantage for the average consumer to switch to an EV and right now the cost difference between the EV and ICE is enough to keep a lot people buying ICE (and that is even before factoring in the inconvenience of public charging vs gassing up an ICE).
I am not certain how old you are, but just imagine it is 1984 and I am trying to convince you to invest in a computer.

In 1984, the advantages of having a computer and a typewriter were somewhat similar. The computers main use was word processing and a typewriter seemed to do the trick if you will. Computers were very expensive and the average consumer could not see the advantage of the price difference. (see where I am going) ;)

Now fast forward to 2022/2023 and now Ford is saying that if you want to sell EV's, you best get on board with this "newer" technology.

The EV market is going to explode here shortly. If you watch Motorweek, you will notice that almost every episode involves an EV car. Last year, it was hardly a mention.

That is just in one year.

I think Solar will explode as well. The cars that you purchase will also be used as a battery pack for when the Sun goes down to power your home.

Hold on to your hat and watch this take off. This will truly be transformative. Just like the Computer.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I am not certain how old you are, but just imagine it is 1984 and I am trying to convince you to invest in a computer.

In 1984, the advantages of having a computer and a typewriter were somewhat similar. The computers main use was word processing and a typewriter seemed to do the trick if you will. Computers were very expensive and the average consumer could not see the advantage of the price difference. (see where I am going) ;)

Now fast forward to 2022/2023 and now Ford is saying that if you want to sell EV's, you best get on board with this "newer" technology.

The EV market is going to explode here shortly. If you watch Motorweek, you will notice that almost every episode involves an EV car. Last year, it was hardly a mention.

I think Solar will explode as well. The cars that you purchase will also be used as a battery pack for when the Sun goes down to power your home.

Hold on to your hat and watch this take off. This will truly be transformative. Just like the Computer.
Wait a minute. On plugshare a user reported he was charged $80 to fill his Rivan tank at Mackinaw City Michigan.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
For the next 5 years or so, there will be no such thing as enough DCFC infrastructure. The ratio of cars to chargers is going in the wrong direction really fast at the moment.
That is not as bad as when the first gasoline cars were made and sold over a hundred years ago. It took over twenty years for the ratio of cars to stations to go in the right direction, too.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
My family has a camp in very rural Concord, VT. There is nothing up there for DCFC. Well except for a Ford dealership 9 miles away. Brand new Chargepoint 62kW chargers. Took me longer to drive there and back than it took to add the miles I needed. Yes, a bit out of the way but better than no option and the drive over is gorgeous šŸ˜Š
Having an EV does require a reset of oneā€™s attitudes. You need to transfer the time saved on weekly gas station fills to the road trip or away from home charges. Best to have a stop and smell the roses attitude.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Sue happy lawyer misrepresenting the facts. Looking to make a big score. Has anyone been killed or injured from it. NO! Did Ford know about it from testing? Did they stop sales and make a remedy within the available supply chain? The perception that the software update cut the output is false. It added heat monitoring and changed timing issues of the contactors and the anti-arc relay. It also allowed a cripple mode for safety instead of bricking the car. This seems like a big waste of the court system at this time.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Wait a minute. On plugshare a user reported he was charged $80 to fill his Rivan tank at Mackinaw City Michigan.
And how long was he "parked" at a 350 DC fast charger? Again, half-truth. Even if he could have added a 100KW, still would have been below $50. You have to pay for the "speed".

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

That's actually a pretty good analogy, but maybe a more apt one is a dedicated word processor vs a "real" multipurpose computer.

As with the computer revolution, it's going to be a bumpy ride before we get to full-scale acceptance of BEVs. For one thing the shortage of raw materials for batteries is a big problem that isn't going to get better in the near term. Of course road trip charging is a second stumbling block. There's also the fact that "big typewriter" didn't have the political clout and PR machine to slow down acceptance of computers the way ExxonMobil and Koch Industries do.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Anyone hope the dealer used for their purchase says no thanks?

I have no desire to ever return to the dealer I used for purchase. They had no desire to be customer oriented, did not follow the pre delivery process, and had no idea what Ford Options was or how price protection worked.

I don't feel like the owner/management have any desire to change the way they have done business for the past 50 years.

They should not be part of the future of Ford.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I have no desire to ever return to the dealer I used for purchase. They had no desire to be customer oriented, did not follow the pre delivery process, and had no idea what Ford Options was or how price protection worked.

I don't feel like the owner/management have any desire to change the way they have done business for the past 50 years.

If they were that bad, then yes: good riddance to them.

I hope the dealer that sold me mine does buy-in, but I don't know that they will. They're a small family owned business and I don't think they'll be able to afford it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

I feel the same about the dealer closest to my home. I have had a serious dislike for that dealership group since the mid-ā€˜80s. Dismissive, not customer-centric, know-it-all attitude (with less than 5%of the knowledge), rude, and lazy. They screwed themselves out of thousands in parts sales. Now they own a Ford dealership that has sold ordered MMEs as dealer stock out from under the people who were the originators of the orders. They need to be gone. šŸ¤¬šŸ©

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Where thereā€™s a choice and one of several isnā€™t good, then I quite understand. If youā€™re in an area where there is one dealer then either decision by the dealer is bad. If they go full ev, will they have the extremely deep pockets needed to last until the Bev business turns a profit for the dealer? If they stay with ICE, who will maintain your BEV and provide warranty service (HVBJB anyone?)?

These are not idle questions out here. There are many manufacturers that require a signed statement acknowledging there is no warranty service here. I can personally see this happening here with Ford. Thing need to change but thereā€™s going to be some serious issues before we arrive at a new paradigm.

Thereā€™s an awful lot about the change that is left unsaid.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Actually if I knew which of the 3-4 dealers near me were signing up for this Iā€™d start taking ours to them to establish a relationship. No guarantee theyā€™d be better, but signing up is at least indicative they are planning for EVs to be mainstream.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If a dealer joins the "E" system, that doesn't prevent them from servicing all Fords or even other brands. Their parts will still be sold, and the used market will remain the same. Service, Parts, and used have always been their bread and butter. Not so much new sales. Till covid came you could bargain down to lower prices just for that reason. It was in 19, 20, 21, and 22 that they made more money even though there was a shortage of new sales. Of course, the multiple downturn checks helped.
Sponsored