TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got charged for using an IN NETWORK charging station. My understanding from when I got my Mach E is that we had 2 to 3 years of free IN NETWORK charging on the Ford Pass.
No, they throw in the first 250 kWh free. (Some are getting a bonus 250 more above that for certain unclear delay criteria).

We get 2 years of FordPass membership free, but all FordPass is is certain convenience features that make it easier to use. It doesn't mean the charging itself is free, only easier to pay for.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Got charged for using an IN NETWORK charging station. My understanding from when I got my Mach E is that we had 2 to 3 years of free IN NETWORK charging on the Ford Pass.
Did your dealer tell you that?

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
No, they throw in the first 250 kWh free. (Some are getting a bonus 250 more above that for certain unclear delay criteria).

We get 2 years of FordPass membership free, but all FordPass is is certain convenience features that make it easier to use. It doesn't mean the charging itself is free, only easier to pay for.
Yeah I don't even know what a "free FordPass membership" even means... An EA membership at the base tier is free, and the P&C rates are the same as the free tier...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah I don't even know what a "free FordPass membership" even means... An EA membership at the base tier is free, and the P&C rates are the same as the free tier...
Yeah I'm struggling to justify how FordPass would be something I'd ever want to actually pay money for when my free 2 years of it runs out. At least in terms of charging. I don't really care that much if I set up one charging payment account through FordPass or a few directly with EA, Chargepoint, etc. Not something worth paying extra for. And I'm not sure exactly what else is included with the "membership" part of FordPass other than that. Like if it's the ability to use the FordPass app at all (to start the car remotely and such).

What it's NOT though is free charging at EA, ChargePoint, etc. Beyond the specific kWh inclusions (250 or 500), of course.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You have access to the FordPass Charging Network for 2 years, for free.

That's like Costco giving you a free 2 year membership. The stuff inside the store isn't free, but you're now allowed into the store without paying.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
You have access to the FordPass Charging Network for 2 years, for free.

That's like Costco giving you a free 2 year membership. The stuff inside the store isn't free, but you're now allowed into the store without paying.
But again, access to EA, Chargepoint and most other networks don't require a membership fee at all. And in fact, having FordPass doesn't make you eligible for lower rates.

If FordPass membership actually provided free access to lower rates - that one would typically need to pay a subscription fee for - then that would be something worth considering.

Darken

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2021 Mach-E Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I can't even get the first 250kwh of free charging as I have the lovely 'no connected services' message when I try to access ford.com/connectedservices. Would love this to be fixed but customer service is completely clueless so far.

Fortunately I was able to use a DCFC from EA this weekend and it was Free despite me not having access to the Fordpass charging network...but a few hours later I got an email from ford saying I have to activate 'the fordpass network' or I wouldn't be able to use EA chargers in the future. ?

Thanks Ford I would activate it, if you would actually have some staff who knew enough about the issue to fix it. (I know other forum members had it fixed, so someone at ford must know what to do)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
What about customers outside the USA who some have been waiting since 2019 ?
I’m on an island in the United States. There’s not a single EA charger in this archipelago and no plans for any here. I find the extra 250 hours in EA a bit insulting personally. Don’t fo me any favors Ford. So I rather understand your complaint.
Yeah I'm struggling to justify how FordPass would be something I'd ever want to actually pay money for when my free 2 years of it runs out. At least in terms of charging. I don't really care that much if I set up one charging payment account through FordPass or a few directly with EA, Chargepoint, etc. Not something worth paying extra for. And I'm not sure exactly what else is included with the "membership" part of FordPass other than that. Like if it's the ability to use the FordPass app at all (to start the car remotely and such).
For me, it’s a easy decision Tim. Not worth it after the free time us up. Zero value. I don’t have plug and fuel capability on my ICE vehicles, so it’s not something I’ll miss on the MME. The only DCFC out here is Greenlots. I can just as easily use their app or their RFID cards FordPass on the rare occasions I actually use DCFC.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
But again, access to EA, Chargepoint and most other networks don't require a membership fee at all. And in fact, having FordPass doesn't make you eligible for lower rates.

If FordPass membership actually provided free access to lower rates - that one would typically need to pay a subscription fee for - then that would be something worth considering.
EA, ChargePoint, Greenlots, EVgo all require pre-loading money onto their app. Ford does not.

One account, one password, not having $70 spread across 7 different zero-interest savings accounts with the charge providers...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For me, it’s a easy decision Tim. Not worth it after the free time us up. Zero value. I don’t have plug and fuel capability on my ICE vehicles, so it’s not something I’ll miss on the MME. The only DCFC out here is Greenlots. I can just as easily use their app or their RFID cards FordPass on the rare occasions I actually use DCFC.
Agree on the charging part. I'm just not 100% sure that's the only thing we'll lose when our FordPass memberships end.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
EA, ChargePoint, Greenlots, EVgo all require pre-loading money onto their app. Ford does not.

One account, one password, not having $70 spread across 7 different zero-interest savings accounts with the charge providers...
This is my biggest gripe about charging networks. They all want to hold money hostage. Oh you're going to spend $3 charging? We'll need $20 to even let you turn it on. Or you spend $5 and then they refill your account with another $20.

My first drive home from the dealer included 3 charging stops. I had $80 pulled from my account, but only spent around $30

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This is my biggest gripe about charging networks. They all want to hold money hostage. Oh you're going to spend $3 charging? We'll need $20 to even let you turn it on. Or you spend $5 and then they refill your account with another $20.

My first drive home from the dealer included 3 charging stops. I had $80 pulled from my account, but only spent around $30
but, how else will they make short-term investment money off of your money? think of the children CEOs!

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Just got off the phone with the Customer Support Center (called since I never received the new email,) was initially told I was not on the delay list but then confirmed after calling back that I was going to receive the charging credits but not the $1000 off. I find this frustrating since I see at least one other forum member whose car was built later but who had received their car weeks ago is going to receive it, but that's luck of the draw I guess. Seems like the length of the delay would be more important than the why. :rolleyes:

I was told, however, that only 35 customers are receiving the additional money off offer related to multiple delays for quality control checks. If you are getting the offer you are in a very select group. Mine has been classified as general "Covid" delays beyond that initial OKTB then QC check. A very nice fellow forum member checked on my delivery today (dealer unhelpful) and noted it has been about 45 miles away holding for at least a week now.

Last edited:

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I have found nothing free for Canada. I bought my Premium in Montreal and took delivery in January. No free charging that I was able to find for the Ford Network.

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
Logged into connected services after activation. Is there somewhere that shows the 250/500 credit? I don't see anywhere that does.
Sponsored