JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Well, not a real answer but according to the comments in the tweet:

"This doesn’t impact current reservation holders. Those who are lucky enough to secure one of these first edition models will have the option to switch their current order."

Still it doesn't directly answer if this will delay production of current premium reservations or if this ability to "secure one" is open to both current reservation holders and anyone else.
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I think there is a lot of wild speculation here on a very suspect tweet.

If Ford needed to sell additional FE orders, I think they would offer them to the dealers and they would be gone in under 15 minutes. These would be the first Mach-E’s any dealer would have available for sale. The Demo’s can’t be sold until after 4 months / 4,000 miles.

And these First Edition's will be arriving on the same trains as the Demo's or just a few days later.
I think Ford still wants to control the inventory to make the scheduling easier for them. I think pushing the deadline back twice and now opening it up to additional reservations just means that there were not as many conversions to orders. I'm glad because it allowed me to get one. I do want them to sell out though.

For those that are interested I would take the proactive approach in reaching out to your dealership to make sure they are aware. Hopefully, they will get word that it is possible and reach out to you. I made it known when I placed my order that I would take an FE if it became available. All the while being told it was doubtful, then I got word that it might be possible. A week later it was. Dealerships don't know. They have to communicate with the regional people.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was actually surprised my dealer did not want to keep the premium order. Maybe he was told not to, or maybe he doesn't think he can sell it, or maybe he is not thinking.
That's probably gonna vary a lot by dealer. And location. BEVs are still a tough sell in many markets, so I could see many dealers thinking they don't want to spend inventory money on an unconventional, unproven, expensive vehicle. But others (particularly in more proven EV markets) would probably be thrilled to get their hands on one.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
I'm glad because it allowed me to get one. I do want them to sell out though.
Actually not --- rare Mustangs are worth a lot of money.
Steve McQueens 1968 Bullitt sold for $3.74 Million. :)

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Just a few random thoughts here:

- Didn’t they allow for the reservation of 7500 first edition Bronco’s? I wonder if they are upping first edition Mach E’s to that number.

- This is probably partially just a way to drum up additional publicity. If Ford just shipped excess First Editions to dealers it would A.) give up an opportunity for the press, B.) May put off some customers who have actively been looking to switch to a FE now.

- We have heard more about other manufacturers EV’s lately. We know that Hyundai has something in development. We have seen spy shots from something believed to be a Genesis equivalent, too. The Lucid Air is being unveiled 9/9, I believe. Also, the XC40 recharge is expected to be available to configure this fall. I could also see some fear on Ford’s part on what Tesla’s battery day on 09/22 will bring. I feel like offering more people the chance to order first editions (regardless of whether or not they are just recycled, canceled orders) is a good way to lock in customers. For those who have ordered a model that won’t deliver this year, it gives them more opportunities to cancel and move to a competitor’s offering. I say that as I am in this boat. I am a GT reservation holder, but a year is plenty of time for another manufacturer to announce something that catches my interest.
Remember, they can make as many Broncos as they can sell . . . just run more shifts and the assembly lines faster. On the MME, they are limited to around 50k the first year because of battery supply limitations (as they have publicly said). Yes, they can make more FE and fewer other trims to build total revenue a little bit, but they can't create more vehicles in total.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Actually not --- rare Mustangs are worth a lot of money.
Steve McQueens 1968 Bullitt sold for $3.74 Million. :)
One of the reasons why I wanted an FE. At what I hope is only 1,000 in the US, that is still relatively rare given the increase in population since 1968.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Remember, they can make as many Broncos as they can sell . . . just run more shifts and the assembly lines faster. On the MME, they are limited to around 50k the first year because of battery supply limitations (as they have publicly said). Yes, they can make more FE and fewer other trims to build total revenue a little bit, but they can't create more vehicles in total.
.....and by continuation, if there is a fixed amount they can build in the first year then it would be advantageous for as many as possible to be the most expensive version available.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Take this for what it is worth, pure speculation.

Ford has a self set number of FE they are "allowed" to sell. What that number is and if that was the same as the number they allowed for reservations isn't clear.

Some people have shown interest with their dealer and/or their dealer has been proactive. This allowed some people to secure a FE either from cancelled orders or some holdback.

Part of MME marketing, using a third party vendor and partners on Twitter, is giving away the opportunity to buy a FE (seems it isn't limited to having a reservation or not, nor on reservation number).

These are not related to a lack of conversions nor a need to produce a certain number of MME, but rather a marketing effort to coincide roughly with the start of production.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Bronco reservations where over 150k after the system opened. They can afford to have more FEs.
Also is case of the bronco was not the extras just down to delays in the system as people got confirmation of getting a first edition while the system was slowly accumulating the number and unlike the mach-e as all the first editions where reserved on the first day they got confirmations as the accumulated value was lagging way behind so rather than tick a load of people of telling people that the conformation was incorrect it was easier to just build the extras.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
That's probably gonna vary a lot by dealer. And location. BEVs are still a tough sell in many markets, so I could see many dealers thinking they don't want to spend inventory money on an unconventional, unproven, expensive vehicle. But others (particularly in more proven EV markets) would probably be thrilled to get their hands on one.
I agree here-location. I have a northern Wisconsin retirement home that is like 230 miles from the nearest EA CCS station. One 35kW CCS station exists like 140 miles one way another 24kW station exists 177 miles in another direction. It is dead zone for fast L3 car charging stations. Green Bay, Wisconsin has zero fast L3 CCS fast charging stations despite millions of visitors each year. Contacts with EV certified Ford Dealerships in the area reveal they do not plan to install fast CCS L3 chargers, do not know of any new ones being installed and have had minimum interest from consumers in BEV.,

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
YOU have one of two reason. Not enough reservations of the first editions were changed over into orders. Certain parts have already been made by the different suppliers. Now they now have the parts and not enough orders. So have to fill them.

What parts are those? Red-painted front and rear brake calipers • Brushed-aluminum pedal covers • Front door-sill scuff plates — aluminum inserts with First Edition lettering • Unique interior contrast stitching (ST-Red Line or Grabber Blue).

Number two they just want to make more. I would bet number one all day. Seen it to many times with just in time part ordering ford does now at the plants.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree here-location. I have a northern Wisconsin retirement home that is like 230 miles from the nearest EA CCS station. One 35kW CCS station exists like 140 miles one way another 24kW station exists 177 miles in another direction. It is dead zone for fast L3 car charging stations. Green Bay, Wisconsin has zero fast L3 CCS fast charging stations despite millions of visitors each year. Contacts with EV certified Ford Dealerships in the area reveal they do not plan to install fast CCS L3 chargers, do not know of any new ones being installed and have had minimum interest from consumers in BEV.,
I was curious what EA's schedule looks like (which is probably determined in part of the timing of VW's court-ordered funding of it as part of the Dieselgate settlement). Found this, although it could be out of date:

https://www.autonews.com/technology/vws-electrify-america-invest-300-million-cycle-2-zev-plan

Here is the tentative schedule for Electrify America's 30-month investment cycles:
  • Cycle 1: Jan. 1, 2017-June 30, 2019
  • Cycle 2: July 1, 2019-Dec. 31, 2021
  • Cycle 3: Jan. 1, 2022-June 30, 2024
  • Cycle 4: July 1, 2024-Dec. 31, 2026
So looks like it'll be a slow slog to get EA expanded into more areas. Maybe the pace will pick up some when they start getting some real revenue from the chargers. Right now, they seem pretty sparsely used. But as a wave of BEVs his the road in 2021, that should improve some.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
After several emails with my dealer rep, he said his GM would be talking to the regional office about this next week. Having the info in this thread has helped move that along. The Seattle area is pretty active for EVs, I see lots of Teslas these days. Location may be helpful here.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I wonder if they're truly "building more" or just opening up cancelled/non-converted reservations...
"Congratulations on reserving your 'Second Edition First Edition' Mustang Mach-E!"

[coming soon on snarky sites] : "Ford continues its 'a special edition in every pot' Mustang tradition"

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Other than different exterior paint color options, what does the FE have over the PE?
In addition to grabber blue color option, and locked into AWD extended range, it has red painted brake calibers front and back, First Edition scuff plates, metal pedal covers, and contrast stitching on the seats.
Sponsored