Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I wish they would reach out to those that have reservations/orders in already and see if we want to switch. I didn't go with First Edition at the time, but now I've changed my mind -- especially if it means I could get the Mach-E this year. Colorado's tax credit goes down on January 1st, so it makes since for me to try to get it this year if possible.
I completely agree! That would be a terrific idea for Ford to consider.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For those wanting to switch . . . call your dealer.

For those who have switched like me . . . they cancelled my premium order, and that is all that shows in my Ford owner page - the cancelled Premium. I have asked my dealer if he can have the FE show up there so I can track everything. This was over a week ago. He told me he has reached out to Ford and is waiting for a reply.

So, have any of you other switchers seen your FE show up on your owner page? Have any of you gotten email from Ford (other than your dealer) confirming the order with an order number? I have the order printout from my dealer to confirm, but just with my name and that is all.
No e-mail from Ford. My existing reservation is still active on my Ford page. My dealer rep said he wants to leave it there for a few weeks. After he gets the schedule and VIN for the First Edition then we can decide to cancel or re-allocate the original order. I have a family member who is interested so he might slide into that spot. The dealer rep said he asked Ford if there was a way to attach the FE to my Ford Owner account but hasn't heard anything back from them yet. He did say that he has a confirmed order for an FE in my name and an order number that is lower than any of his existing FE orders so he is presuming that mine will arrive first or they all might possibly arrive at the same time. He has no idea how many First Editions that Ford is building. They didn't share that with him as far as he knows.

I just contacted my dealer and he said he can't switch me to a First Edition. :-( They weren't that helpful after I placed my order, so I am not sure I trust that answer.
That is consistent with what my dealer is saying. He can't make the switch, but he was able to secure a separate order for the FE in my name. That is the best he can do right now. I have a order confirmation print out from his system and that is all we have right now.

I am more than a little suspicious of that tweet from Ford.

I doubt Ford would be looking for First Edition orders thru tweets instead of working with their dealers and letting them know they have a few more slots open.

Anyway, I am getting excited counting down the days --- they should be built in less than 60 days.
I think Ford was working with the dealers late last week and they now feel they they may have exhausted their options so they will be putting out a call direct to the public. That ought to flush out anyone who is still interested in the FE but isn't able to get help from their dealer path.

This is kinda what it sounds like may be happening....??

I just emailed my dealer to see what he says.

In terms of "switching" an existing reservation/order, I'm not sure that's even necessary. As far as we know, all FEs should be made and delivered within a month of each other. So even if the dealer opens up a whole new order with a whole new number, if it's an FE it should jump right into the first month, right?
Yes. This is what my dealer is saying to me. He said my original order for a Premium can just sit there because he doesn't think it will be scheduled for some time....possibly after the FE arrives. At a minimum, we should have VIN confirmation for my FE and then can figure out what to do about my original order. Too bad there isn't room in my budget for two of these things....

Oh, btw.....
The difference in price for me was $6200
  1. $5000 for the larger battery pack
  2. $1600 for the First Edition Appearance Package
  3. <$400> (credit) for color change since Infinite Blue is not available in the FE trim.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Exactly what I was going to say. My guess is that they have those extra parts for the FE, and they were already planned in the production que - so why not build them and create a little more buzz. The dealer and the Regional rep went in and cancelled my Premium - so if it makes anyone feel any better, by switching to a FE that was probably going to be in the line anyway, I opened up a spot from a premium that was placed at 9:55 pm the night of the event - so you all got to move up by one at least - if my logic is correct.
My dealer just called back again. He said it wasn't possible to switch or put in a FE order for me. I told him I heard it was possible through a Regional Manager. He called back a few minutes ago and said he talked to the Regional Manager and they said the same thing. I might see if they can ask again tomorrow or next week.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope so, I also hope they are giving people the opportunity to "upgrade" versus trying to get new orders. I remember the most important rule from grade school, "no cutting!"
Yep. The more I think about this, the more it raises an eyebrow. WTH does "dropping them over the next week" mean? Does that mean making them available for dealers to order a few each day? That makes little sense.

Beginning to think this is some sort of promotional giveaway or something, rather than something for customers to actually order.

But then again, "in limited quantities" makes it sound like something to buy. So it's all rather cryptic. ?

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Yep. The more I think about this, the more it raises an eyebrow. WTH does "dropping them over the next week" mean? Does that mean making them available for dealers to order a few each day? That makes little sense.

Beginning to think this is some sort of promotional giveaway or something, rather than something for customers to actually order.

But then again, "in limited quantities" makes it sound like something to buy. So it's all rather cryptic. ?
This is what they get good subbing out social media marketing! People trying to be clever with "Mach drop" but not actually giving any useful info.

It gets us talking but doesn't really help.

Reactions: abr

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Thank you - I see the FE wheel is the same as the Premium.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Exactly what I was going to say. My guess is that they have those extra parts for the FE, and they were already planned in the production que - so why not build them and create a little more buzz. The dealer and the Regional rep went in and cancelled my Premium - so if it makes anyone feel any better, by switching to a FE that was probably going to be in the line anyway, I opened up a spot from a premium that was placed at 9:55 pm the night of the event - so you all got to move up by one at least - if my logic is correct.
I have been saying this for months but it was always just speculation on my part. I was, and remain fairly certain that Ford has always had a certain number in mind for First Edition units and they were planning to build that amount regardless. If people are unwilling or unable to convert their reservations to orders....then Ford is still going to build the cars. It just makes sense since they probably made the door sill pieces and dash applique thinggys...and probably a fair amount of Onyx seats with red stitching.

My guess....
  1. Option A: Try to reach out to dealers first to see if any of their customer are interested in switching. That was last week.
  2. Option B: Send a marketing blast to followers to entice them to switch.
  3. Option C: Build them anyway and ship them to select dealerships based on public interest in that market. Then hope the dealer can sell them at MSRP or close.
The last option is a little risky because some First Editions can sit on a dealer lots for quite some time. I know there is a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace still in the show room here for sale. At well over $90k MSRP....it will sit there for a while longer.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. This is what my dealer is saying to me. He said my original order for a Premium can just sit there because he doesn't think it will be scheduled for some time....possibly after the FE arrives. At a minimum, we should have VIN confirmation for my FE and then can figure out what to do about my original order. Too bad there isn't room in my budget for two of these things....
Might create some incentive for the dealership to do it that way too. If he can secure an FE on a new order for you, but keep the Premium order open, then when you (presumably) cancel the Premium late enough in the process, he gets to keep it and sell it as inventory (maybe with ADM).

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Might create some incentive for the dealership to do it that way too. If he can secure an FE on a new order for you, but keep the Premium order open, then when you (presumably) cancel the Premium late enough in the process, he gets to keep it and sell it as inventory (maybe with ADM).
I was actually surprised my dealer did not want to keep the premium order. Maybe he was told not to, or maybe he doesn't think he can sell it, or maybe he is not thinking.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Cmon Ford... you can’t just drop news like this without more info!

How do they plan on making more available, especially over here in the UK where order banks are not even open and dealers have no more info? As it stands, someone stateside who placed an order in July stands the chance of getting an FE before me, who pre-ordered in January... super frustrating ?
Agree. I would hope that Ford is not building more First Editions than originally planned but merely allowing unclaimed reservations to be re-allocated to another buyer. In my opinion, it would be very poor judgement on Ford's part to increase the total amount of First Editions at this late stage because that just delays cars for early reservation holders of other trim levels. It doesn't seem right to make those buyers wait even longer than they have waited already.

Do you have a First Edition reservation? I have been wondering if there were any FE reservation holders outside of North America and if so, how are your cars being scheduled? Maybe there are going to be two different production runs? FEs for NA and then FEs for other markets? Probably not subsequent order batches.....maybe some Premiums for NA in between those runs?

????

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
I think there is a lot of wild speculation here on a very suspect tweet.

If Ford needed to sell additional FE orders, I think they would offer them to the dealers and they would be gone in under 15 minutes. These would be the first Mach-E’s any dealer would have available for sale. The Demo’s can’t be sold until after 4 months / 4,000 miles.

And these First Edition's will be arriving on the same trains as the Demo's or just a few days later.

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Just a few random thoughts here:

- Didn’t they allow for the reservation of 7500 first edition Bronco’s? I wonder if they are upping first edition Mach E’s to that number.

- This is probably partially just a way to drum up additional publicity. If Ford just shipped excess First Editions to dealers it would A.) give up an opportunity for the press, B.) May put off some customers who have actively been looking to switch to a FE now.

- We have heard more about other manufacturers EV’s lately. We know that Hyundai has something in development. We have seen spy shots from something believed to be a Genesis equivalent, too. The Lucid Air is being unveiled 9/9, I believe. Also, the XC40 recharge is expected to be available to configure this fall. I could also see some fear on Ford’s part on what Tesla’s battery day on 09/22 will bring. I feel like offering more people the chance to order first editions (regardless of whether or not they are just recycled, canceled orders) is a good way to lock in customers. For those who have ordered a model that won’t deliver this year, it gives them more opportunities to cancel and move to a competitor’s offering. I say that as I am in this boat. I am a GT reservation holder, but a year is plenty of time for another manufacturer to announce something that catches my interest.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Cmon Ford... you can’t just drop news like this without more info!

How do they plan on making more available, especially over here in the UK where order banks are not even open and dealers have no more info? As it stands, someone stateside who placed an order in July stands the chance of getting an FE before me, who pre-ordered in January... super frustrating ?
Remember the tweet indicated there would be more news tomorrow.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Just a few random thoughts here:

- Didn’t they allow for the reservation of 7500 first edition Bronco’s? I wonder if they are upping first edition Mach E’s to that number.

- This is probably partially just a way to drum up additional publicity. If Ford just shipped excess First Editions to dealers it would A.) give up an opportunity for the press, B.) May put off some customers who have actively been looking to switch to a FE now.

- We have heard more about other manufacturers EV’s lately. We know that Hyundai has something in development. We have seen spy shots from something believed to be a Genesis equivalent, too. The Lucid Air is being unveiled 9/9, I believe. Also, the XC40 recharge is expected to be available to configure this fall. I could also see some fear on Ford’s part on what Tesla’s battery day on 09/22 will bring. I feel like offering more people the chance to order first editions (regardless of whether or not they are just recycled, canceled orders) is a good way to lock in customers. For those who have ordered a model that won’t deliver this year, it gives them more opportunities to cancel and move to a competitor’s offering. I say that as I am in this boat. I am a GT reservation holder, but a year is plenty of time for another manufacturer to announce something that catches my interest.
Bronco reservations where over 150k after the system opened. They can afford to have more FEs.
Sponsored