Ford is saying Sync 4 is NOT upgradable to Sync 4A "There is no option to upgrade from SYNC 4 to SYNC 4A"

Nogas4me

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Select
Occupation
Sr Field Service Engineer
Country flag
I'm really disappointed to receive the below information from Ford. I contacted Ford through the on-line chat window on the "Contact Us" link. Please see my conversation with them below. Fyi... My Mach-e was built two months ago. October/2022.

===============================================================================================================

14:49, Dec 23:

Thank you for choosing to chat with us. We will be with you shortly. You are currently 1 waiting in queue.

Info

at 14:49, Dec 23:

You are now chatting with Wendy. Please do not enter any sensitive personal data such as social security number or credit card numbers.

Wendy

at 14:49, Dec 23:

Hello, Larry! My name is Wendy. How can I help you?

Larry

at 14:51, Dec 23:​

Hi Wendy, Do you when I can upgrade my Sync 4 to Sync 4a? I think it will be safer for me when I'm driving as I can then use the volume knob to adjust the temperature, fan speed, etc and keep my eyes on the road. Thanks, Larry

Wendy

at 14:53, Dec 23:

Thank you for reaching out today Larry. Your current SYNC 4 system cannot be changed to an SYNC 4A. The SYNC system has a unique hardware and software system that can only be installed during manufacturing.

Wendy

at 14:54, Dec 23:

While we cannot change to a different SYNC hardware, you can check to make sure you are receiving the latest updates with Auto Update on your Settings.
https://help.ford.com/update-sync/ and enter your VIN.

Wendy

at 14:56, Dec 23:

I see that you are typing. I will give you a couple more minutes to finish.

Larry

at 14:56, Dec 23:​

Ah, that's not what I wanted to hear. Ford always touts how wonderful OTA updates are. I was so excited to see the 4A changes and now really disappointed I can't get them. Seems like a software update to me and not a hardware issue?

Wendy

at 14:58, Dec 23:

There is no option to upgrade from SYNC 4 to SYNC 4A but I do appreciate your honest feedback.
I'd be happy to document your concerns to possibly have Ford work on a later release that works better for customer's needs.

Wendy

at 14:59, Dec 23:

Is there anything else I can look into for you today?

Larry

at 15:01, Dec 23:​

Yes, please have them add the volume knob to control the fan speed, temperature, seat temp, etc. Just like in 4A. I have heard many folks are getting the upgrade on the Mache forum. How are they getting in when I can't? I have a late model 2022 Mach-e. Is it only for the 2023 models?

Wendy

at 15:03, Dec 23:

I'm unsure why people are advising of update from SYNC 4 to 4A Larry, SYNC 4 does receive updates to the latest version but I can only assume forums are advising of updates to 4A through a 3rd party since it's not available at Ford.

Wendy

at 15:04, Dec 23:

Wendy

at 15:06, Dec 23:

I see that you are typing. I will give you a couple more minutes to finish.

Larry

at 15:07, Dec 23:​

One would think 4a is not a big update or upgrade. If it was 7 say I would understand. There are flyers from Ford showing the upgrade will soon be available.

Wendy

at 15:07, Dec 23:

Understood.

Wendy

at 15:09, Dec 23:

You can reach out to our Our Over-The-Air (OTA) team to look into this further.
You can reach them at 833-389-0848
Hours of Operation are 8:00 a.m. –11:00 p.m. EST (Monday - Friday)
8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST (Saturday)

Wendy

at 15:10, Dec 23:

Larry

at 15:11, Dec 23:​

Ok, thank you. I will update the folks on the mach-e forum. Have a merry Christmas, Larry

Wendy

at 15:12, Dec 23:

My pleasure! Have a lovely rest of your Holidays Larry!

Wendy

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. At the end of this chat, there will be a survey that appears regarding your experience with my performance today. We appreciate any feedback you may have. Have a great day!

Info

Thank you for chatting with us.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You were asking the wrong question. Every Mach-E ever built has come with Sync 4A.

Sync 4 is for cars with a screen in landscape orientation. Sync 4A is for cars like the MME with a screen in portrait orientation.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
You were asking the wrong question. Every Mach-E ever built has come with Sync 4A.

Sync 4 is for cars with a screen in landscape orientation. Sync 4A is for cars like the MME with a screen in portrait orientation.
Not sure about that -- Lightnings have both screens and as far as I know they're all 4a

and for what it's worth, I'd take the 12" over the 15" every time. I have both and the 15" putting climate on it sucks because the CPU behind it sucks.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Not sure about that -- Lightnings have both screens and as far as I know they're all 4a
Nope, the Pro and XLT trims have Sync 4. Lariat and Platinum have Sync 4a - same screen as the Mach-e

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

This.

Don't make things more difficult than necessary.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Better yet what is the OP feeling like they are missing out on?

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
Everything about this thread is great. Has all the hallmarks of a great.

• OP is confidently wrong
  • OP initiates a chat with CS
  • CS isn’t fully informed
  • OP creates an outrage post on the forums
Only thing missing is for OP to lash out at everyone telling them the right info because their info “came straight from Ford”, insist that they bought a terrible car and will sell immediately. Then we need a few people waiting on delivery to jump in and ask if this is an issue for their order and how they can find out if they have sync 4 or 4A and get into a mass panic if they should have just gotten a model 3. Maybe a few people share some screen grabs of how they tweeted at a ford exec to “get to the bottom of this” / “demand accountability from Ford”

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
OP all Mach E's have and always had Sync 4A. Sync 4 is used on some newer ICE vehicles like the Bronco. You're looking for the new Sync update which 2023 MachE's are shipping with. Nobody knows when that will go out OTA to existing vehicles, but it should.

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Hey everyone makes mistakes. In the end, these software updates haven't really produced anything earth-shattering in the past 18 months. I'm sure someone will correct me but besides adding BlueCruise to early builds, most updates have been minor tweaks. They kind of remind me of phone updates these days for Android and iOS, just small improvements. In the end, if my MachE continues to drive the way it did when I decided to buy it, I'm more than happy (HVJB worries aside). Happy holidays.
Sponsored