Ford is saying Sync 4 is NOT upgradable to Sync 4A "There is no option to upgrade from SYNC 4 to SYNC 4A"

OP
OP

Nogas4me

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Select
Occupation
Sr Field Service Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, SWO! OK, that makes senses now. I'm new to the Mach-e but was just going by a previous post. (Header below). I thought Sync 4A was a software update to Sync 4. My car shows it has version Sync 4... not Sync 4A, which adds to the confusion. It would have been nice if the Ford rep pointed this out. Obviously, they didn't know either.
Fyi... The new version is Sync 4, Revision 640 (Not Sync 4A, Revision 640).

Happy accident at Ford service! I got the new updated SYNC 4A installed!! Non Early-Access
Sponsored

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks, SWO! OK, that makes senses now. I'm new to the Mach-e but was just going by a previous post. (Header below). I thought Sync 4A was a software update to Sync 4. My car shows it has version Sync 4... not Sync 4A, which adds to the confusion. It would have been nice if the Ford rep pointed this out. Obviously, they didn't know either.

Happy accident at Ford service! I got the new updated SYNC 4A installed!! Non Early-Access
Don't worry about it. Sync 4 and Sync 4A are the same underlying OS. It's only the layout that's different, which varies by car depending on the orientation of the screen. Your Mach-E has always had and always will have Sync 4A

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Speaking of terrible terminology, if we really wanted to mess with these poor frontline CSRs, someone should ask them why hands free driving isn’t working on local roads even though the car tells me BlueCruise is active. That would be a fun transcript.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Speaking of terrible terminology, if we really wanted to mess with these poor frontline CSRs, someone should ask them why hands free driving isn’t working on local roads even though the car tells me BlueCruise is active. That would be a fun transcript.
...now somebody is going to go try that....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford is saying Sync 4 is NOT upgradable to Sync 4A  "There is no option to upgrade from SYNC 4 to SYNC 4A" We_got_one

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag

Interesting, my new 23 says its Sync 4 Software Version: 22280; Revision: 592.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
So is the end of the main sequence phase of our sun. Let’s hope the OTA arrives before that. ;)
Yeah, and pigs will fly some day without the assistance of aircraft. 🤪🐩

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
I believe what the OP may be thinking of is an upgrade to the new Android Automotive platform which Ford announced will be in future cars including the Mach-e. Unfortunately that will require a faster processor and current Mach-e's will not be able to upgrade. That will happen sometime in the future. Maybe late 23s or MY 24?

LTC_HUGH

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm really disappointed to receive the below information from Ford. I contacted Ford through the on-line chat window on the "Contact Us" link. Please see my conversation with them below. Fyi... My Mach-e was built two months ago. October/2022.

===============================================================================================================

14:49, Dec 23:

Thank you for choosing to chat with us. We will be with you shortly. You are currently 1 waiting in queue.

Info

at 14:49, Dec 23:

You are now chatting with Wendy. Please do not enter any sensitive personal data such as social security number or credit card numbers.

Wendy

at 14:49, Dec 23:

Hello, Larry! My name is Wendy. How can I help you?

Larry

at 14:51, Dec 23:​

Hi Wendy, Do you when I can upgrade my Sync 4 to Sync 4a? I think it will be safer for me when I'm driving as I can then use the volume knob to adjust the temperature, fan speed, etc and keep my eyes on the road. Thanks, Larry

Wendy

at 14:53, Dec 23:

Thank you for reaching out today Larry. Your current SYNC 4 system cannot be changed to an SYNC 4A. The SYNC system has a unique hardware and software system that can only be installed during manufacturing.

Wendy

at 14:54, Dec 23:

While we cannot change to a different SYNC hardware, you can check to make sure you are receiving the latest updates with Auto Update on your Settings.
https://help.ford.com/update-sync/ and enter your VIN.

Wendy

at 14:56, Dec 23:

I see that you are typing. I will give you a couple more minutes to finish.

Larry

at 14:56, Dec 23:​

Ah, that's not what I wanted to hear. Ford always touts how wonderful OTA updates are. I was so excited to see the 4A changes and now really disappointed I can't get them. Seems like a software update to me and not a hardware issue?

Wendy

at 14:58, Dec 23:

There is no option to upgrade from SYNC 4 to SYNC 4A but I do appreciate your honest feedback.
I'd be happy to document your concerns to possibly have Ford work on a later release that works better for customer's needs.

Wendy

at 14:59, Dec 23:

Is there anything else I can look into for you today?

Larry

at 15:01, Dec 23:​

Yes, please have them add the volume knob to control the fan speed, temperature, seat temp, etc. Just like in 4A. I have heard many folks are getting the upgrade on the Mache forum. How are they getting in when I can't? I have a late model 2022 Mach-e. Is it only for the 2023 models?

Wendy

at 15:03, Dec 23:

I'm unsure why people are advising of update from SYNC 4 to 4A Larry, SYNC 4 does receive updates to the latest version but I can only assume forums are advising of updates to 4A through a 3rd party since it's not available at Ford.

Wendy

at 15:04, Dec 23:

Wendy

at 15:06, Dec 23:

I see that you are typing. I will give you a couple more minutes to finish.

Larry

at 15:07, Dec 23:​

One would think 4a is not a big update or upgrade. If it was 7 say I would understand. There are flyers from Ford showing the upgrade will soon be available.

Wendy

at 15:07, Dec 23:

Understood.

Wendy

at 15:09, Dec 23:

You can reach out to our Our Over-The-Air (OTA) team to look into this further.
You can reach them at 833-389-0848
Hours of Operation are 8:00 a.m. –11:00 p.m. EST (Monday - Friday)
8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST (Saturday)

Wendy

at 15:10, Dec 23:

Larry

at 15:11, Dec 23:​

Ok, thank you. I will update the folks on the mach-e forum. Have a merry Christmas, Larry

Wendy

at 15:12, Dec 23:

My pleasure! Have a lovely rest of your Holidays Larry!

Wendy

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. At the end of this chat, there will be a survey that appears regarding your experience with my performance today. We appreciate any feedback you may have. Have a great day!

Info

Thank you for chatting with us.
did you really think you were talking to a person?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So is the end of the main sequence phase of our sun. Let’s hope the OTA arrives before that. ;)
"The Mach-E HVAC sucks because it can't properly cool me off now that The Sun entered its red giant stage"

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
OP, you are rightfully confused about the difference between Sync 4 and Sync 4a.

But all you have to do is go to the Ford Support website and the difference will be cleared up.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...is-the-difference-between-sync-4-and-sync-4a/

See, a perfectly clear explanation. I especially like this part.

There is very little difference between SYNC 4 and SYNC 4A. Both offer advanced features that can help keep you connected and your system continuously evolving. What’s more, they each combine available conversational voice recognition, cloud-based connectivity, Ford Power-Up software update capabilities and so much more to bring you a seamless and personalized driving experience while delivering easy smartphone integration.

SYNC 4 Key Features
SYNC 4 has advanced features like:
  • Enhanced voice recognition
  • All-new cloud-based connectivity
  • Bluetooth®*** wireless phone connection to Apple CarPlay®****, Android Auto™***** compatibility, and SYNC AppLink®******
  • Customizable touchscreen options
SYNC 4A

SYNC 4 Key Features

SYNC 4 Key Features

SYNC 4 has advanced features like:
  • Enhanced voice recognition
  • All-new cloud-based connectivity
  • Bluetooth®*** wireless phone connection to Apple CarPlay®****, Android Auto™***** compatibility, and SYNC AppLink®******
  • Customizable touchscreen options

SYNC 4 Key Features
See, according to the Ford.com Support site, Sync 4 and Sync 4A are exactly the same.
Go to the site and see for yourself, LOL.

Makes you wonder??
Sponsored