Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Charging with Purpose: Ford Launches Zero-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative in California

21_frd_mch_48118-jpg.jpg

• California Ford electric vehicle and plug-in hybrid customers now have a new way to lower their carbon footprint when charging their vehicles at home through a new sustainable charging program
  • Ford’s participation in the California Air Resources Board Low Carbon Fuel Standard initiative allows for 100 percent of home charging energy to be matched with renewable electricity for zero-carbon charging
  • Any California customer with electric or plug-in hybrid Ford vehicles can opt-in to the free program quickly and easily using the FordPass app
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 17, 2021 – Today Ford announced it is launching a new sustainable charging program that allows plug-in electric vehicle owners in California to opt into carbon-neutral charging at home, reducing their carbon footprint from energy used to power their vehicles.

Ford is choosing to participate in the California Air Resource Board (CARB) Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) to offer customers a new way to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change by matching the use of electricity used to charge plug-in electric vehicles at home with 100 percent local renewable energy.

Here’s how the program works:
  1. Owners of eligible plug-in electric vehicles opt into the program through the FordPass app
  2. Once enrolled, the FordPass app automatically tracks the amount of electricity used while charging at home
  3. Ford generates, or buys, an equivalent amount of California-sourced Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), an EPA-recognized program that records the generation and usage of green energy
  4. Ford sends evidence of the matching amounts to CARB, ensuring that all home plug-in charging activity is matched with zero-carbon electricity
“Ford’s electric vehicle customers are beginning to realize all the possibilities associated with their vehicles and sustainable energy management,” said Matt Stover, director of charging and energy services, Ford Motor Company. “By working with regulators, utilities and customers for home integration services, we’re enabling EV drivers to lower their carbon footprints, potentially save money and help protect the grid, all through their smartphones.”

The program is eligible for California-based owners of all current Ford all-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The products currently include the Mustang Mach-E, the E-Transit, the Escape Plug-In Hybrid, and will be available with the F-150 Lightning in 2022.

Driven by our purpose of helping to build a better world, Ford is investing more than $30 billion in electric vehicles and batteries through 2025, supporting its longer-term goal to create a sustainable American manufacturing ecosystem, and to accelerate its progress towards achieving carbon neutrality no later than 2050, backed by science-based targets in line with the Paris Climate Agreement. Overall, Ford expects 40 to 50 percent of its global vehicle volume to be fully electric by 2030.

To learn more about Ford the sustainable charging program go to: www.sustainablecharging.ford.com.
Sponsored

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
These programs can be cool to incentivize more renewable construction, but for some reason they often feel like accounting games to me.

When I saw the headline I thought this was going to be something similar to how Juicebox will allow you to charge when the grid is being served by more renewable sources with their JuiceNet Green.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
These programs can be cool to incentivize more renewable construction, but for some reason they often feel like accounting games to me.

When I saw the headline I thought this was going to be something similar to how Juicebox will allow you to charge when the grid is being served by more renewable sources with their JuiceNet Green.
Exactly, buying credits doesn’t change where your power came from. It gives renewable power providers like solar farms a business model, but doesn’t really mean much for reducing emissions. The solar farms will bring down production from a local power plant (which might already be relatively clean like in California) but then sell the feel good credit-on-paper to some coal burning power plant on the other side of the country.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Exactly, buying credits doesn’t change where your power came from. It gives renewable power providers like solar farms a business model, but doesn’t really mean much for reducing emissions. The solar farms will bring down production from a local power plant (which might already be relatively clean like in California) but then sell the feel good credit-on-paper to some coal burning power plant on the other side of the country.
So you'd rather advocate for doing nothing to address climate change?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
So you'd rather advocate for doing nothing to address climate change?
Nope, not what I said at all. I’m simply pointing out that sometimes things are not exactly what they appear to be.

Energy credits is the only reason Tesla didn’t crash and burn. so they can definitely help but Claiming to be reducing your carbon footprint by taking credit for another business’s effort seems a little ridiculous no? You can give people warm and fuzzies while literally doing nothing.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Nope, not what I said at all. I’m simply pointing out that sometimes things are not exactly what they appear to be.

Energy credits is the only reason Tesla didn’t crash and burn. so they can definitely help but Claiming to be reducing your carbon footprint by taking credit for another business’s effort seems a little ridiculous no? You can give people warm and fuzzies while literally doing nothing.
Selling energy credits may even be “worse than nothing.”

Rather than making someone else pollute less, then can just pay you to be low pollution? It’s not like Tesla will pollute more or less with the credits.

I make fun of the “carbon neutral” stuff all the time. Whenever I recycle a can, I tell people I throw one in the ocean to maintain my carbon neutrality.

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Selling energy credits may even be “worse than nothing.”

Rather than making someone else pollute less, then can just pay you to be low pollution? It’s not like Tesla will pollute more or less with the credits.

I make fun of the “carbon neutral” stuff all the time. Whenever I recycle a can, I tell people I throw one in the ocean to maintain my carbon neutrality.
Check out what the calif public utility commission (CPUC) is trying to do. They want to deincentivize residential solar by passing an increase in transmission fee on residential solar producer and decrease buy back amts and other BS changes to squeeze more $$ out of US. (I hope) Calling out Ford and our governor Gavin Newson to do something about this change in rules to there benefit,just like Ford will do with your investment and DWP will do with other peoples solar investment. But that’s for another day. Sure good not paying crazy gas prices.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My utility keeps sending me mail (wasting fuel producing paper and sending it USPS) asking if I want to raise my rate to use greener power...

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
No, no, no, I want to increase my carbon footprint. Plants depend on me.
Where do I enroll in High-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative?
Have you tried running your ICE in your garage with the door closed? You can significantly increase your carbon footprint that way.
Sponsored