Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Would you be able to just return the car after 7 days if you don't like it, and get 100% back?
I know that's a Tesla option (not sure of the actual time period), but I'd be surprised if Ford offers the same guarantee. It would be nice.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I know that's a Tesla option (not sure of the actual time period), but I'd be surprised if Ford offers the same guarantee. It would be nice.
A return policy would be between you and the dealer not Ford. Usually once you sign the purchase order documents / financing contracts at vehicle delivery that’s it. Done deal.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A return policy would be between you and the dealer not Ford. Usually once you sign the purchase order documents / financing contracts at vehicle delivery that’s it. Done deal.
I understand not receiving a refund of a deposit ’at vehicle delivery’. My concern is signing the purchase order in May or June and putting down a deposit, but still not having seen, sat in or driven the car. So there is that finite period of time between the order deposit and actually seeing and test driving the car. That’s the period of tine I’m questioning.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My guess prior to the shutdown was maybe 10% of reservations backing out (financial or living situation changed, bought a different car in the interim, too much delay, etc).

But post-shutdown, who knows. Demand will surely fall significantly for new vehicles now. US sales fell 40% during the 2008 recession, and took about 5 years to get back to normal. I think the Mach-e will hold up better than that since it's a unique vehicle for Ford with some built-in "niche" demand. But it's still a $50k+ vehicle for most buyers, and that could be a lot harder to commit to now.

If this shutdown ends within weeks rather than months and we get mostly back to normal, I'm guessing roughly a 25% reservation cancellation rate now. That might mean 30k MMEs selling from reservations. But I think they should still be able to sell the other 20k like normal off dealer lots by the end of the 2021 model year (3Q2021).

But if these shutdowns drag on and people are out of work for months, that changes everything.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
I'd be surprised if Ford offers the same guarantee. It would be nice.
Being the first pure EV for them, surely they will offer a return period. That is important for adoption of new technology.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I understand not receiving a refund of a deposit ’at vehicle delivery’. My concern is signing the purchase order in May or June and putting down a deposit, but still not having seen, sat in or driven the car. So there is that finite period of time between the order deposit and actually seeing and test driving the car. That’s the period of tine I’m questioning.
I don't think you sign a purchase order until deliver of the car.

In Fall 2020, "Dealers confirm payment with dealer and financing and complete checkout."

I didn't when I ordered my C-Max. Paid a deposit, but didn't commit to the car until I test drove it.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My guess prior to the shutdown was maybe 10% of reservations backing out (financial or living situation changed, bought a different car in the interim, too much delay, etc).

If this shutdown ends within weeks rather than months and we get mostly back to normal, I'm guessing roughly a 25% reservation cancellation rate now.

But if these shutdowns drag on and people are out of work for months, that changes everything.
So the number of possible cancellations makes me wonder. I remember hearing that the First Edition could be opened up again if there was availability, i.e. a number of people fail to convert to orders or cancel their reservation.

How many of you would switch your order to a FE if you could?

Reactions: abr

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm staying where I am. Max range RWD. No FE for me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How many of you would switch your order to a FE if you could?
Not me. Premium AWD SR is plenty for me. I'd rather save the $5000, as the extra 60 miles won't make enough difference in range for me to not drive ICE on road trips.

But there's also a strong chance I'll just cancel my reservation and buy one off the lot next year instead (maybe even a 2022). The $7500 federal tax credit looks pretty safe until mid-2022 now.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Have just been in touch with someone on Facebook who placed a preorder yesterday. His number was 10066xxx

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Being the first pure EV for them, surely they will offer a return period. That is important for adoption of new technology.
I agree with the post that says that the only practical approach for getting a FIRM deposit on a newbie car from a prospective customer is after he/she is able to test drive it. Not many are going to commit real money without at least driving it.

My California Dealer has said several times that he will be getting a car early for Technical Training of the Maintenance Staff. That car will also be available to customers to Test Drive. If you assume that this is correct, then I believe (forecast) the following will be close to what we will see the rest of the year as the Ford process...

1) You will not have to commit to a firm purchase until after a Test Drive in the Fall or later;

2) The May/June Ford "true up" of your on order configuration will not require a FIRM order. It will require a NEW deposit to your local Ford Dealer (and a refund from FORD of your initial $500 order deposit). Your Deposit to the Ford Dealer will be refundable until at least you have had a chance to Test Drive the car.

The above is my speculation...

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
From Electrek.co

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E reservations are moving along nicely, with the car’s release coming at the end of this year. We learned today that, if reservation numbers are sequential (and they seem to be), the car now has approximately 41,400 reservations (globally) according to forum posts.

Also, according to Ford, there have been Mach-E reservations in all 50 US states so far.

Ford’s reservation numbers seem to be sequential, though they didn’t start at zero. The earliest reservers from the day of the reveal have numbers as low as ~4,000. It seems that the first 4,000 cars will be reserved internally for Ford’s purposes (Ford corporate fleet, employee sales, etc.). They’re also coming in from around the globe.

Those reservation numbers jumped up to the 20,000 range in the first week after the presentation, and have slowed down since then but are still plugging along. Two days ago the number was in the 41,000 range, and five days prior to that it was in the 40,000 range.

Extrapolating, it looks like we’re still seeing about a thousand orders a week. If this continues to be the case, then Ford’s first-year of production should be “sold out” within the next couple of months. The “first edition” model “sold out” within the first week.

In the first year, Ford plans to build 50,000 Mach-Es across all trim levels. But the American company plans to allocate around 60% of those first- cars to Europe. This is to help Ford meet EU emissions regulations, which are getting much stronger and most automakers are facing big fines if they don’t push more EVs in Europe soon.

Ford also shared an animation showing reservation numbers across the US, along with the most popular color reserved in each state.
Sitting on reservation #4390, so feeling good about seeing it as soon as it can be seen.
Sponsored