Ford Mach-E - Mustang or Mediocre? | In Depth (Now You Know)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I own two Teslas. Does that mean I'm "Tesla people"?
"Tesla people" is not a good way to have put it. Most Tesla owners are not like Jesse and Zac. I think of Jesse and Zac as Musk stans.

You are not a stan. You are staying informed on EVs in general, across a variety of manufacturers. You are here to correct misinformation and slow its spread, and hopefully you're here to learn some new things, too. (At least I'm 99.9% sure you are.)

On the other hand, folks like "Now You Know" do the world a disservice by willfully spreading misinformation towards their own interests: fandom for themselves, fanaticism of one person and his related companies, YouTube monetization, guest speaking opportunities, and Tesla 'loot box' credits.

These things seem to have outweighed their ability to recognize or acknowledge the facts that contradict the "knowledge" their show title implies that they preach.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That was poorly worded, but just like many other things with a strong following there are "fans" and then there is a subgroup of "rabid fanatics" (aka 'stans') who are obnoxious and even incorporate their fandom into their identities. As mentioned, you are not a 'stan'.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
That was poorly worded, but just like many other things with a strong following there are "fans" and then there is a subgroup of "rabid fanatics" (aka 'stans') who are obnoxious and even incorporate their fandom into their identities. As mentioned, you are not a 'stan'.
"Tesla people" is not a good way to have put it. Most Tesla owners are not like Jesse and Zac. I think of Jesse and Zac as Musk stans.

You are not a stan. You are staying informed on EVs in general, across a variety of manufacturers. You are here to correct misinformation and slow its spread, and hopefully you're here to learn some new things, too. (At least I'm 99.9% sure you are.)

On the other hand, folks like "Now You Know" do the world a disservice by willfully spreading misinformation towards their own interests: fandom for themselves, fanaticism of one person and his related companies, YouTube monetization, guest speaking opportunities, and Tesla 'loot box' credits.

These things seem to have outweighed their ability to recognize or acknowledge the facts that contradict the "knowledge" their show title implies that they preach.
Thanks guys! You can always call me out if my comments become "Stanish".

I also know I can't expect everyone to understand why I'd even interact here.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
TL;DR:
It would have been a good competitor to Tesla if it were released in 2016. Ford clearly made the car to scare away EV buyers and convince them to buy an ICE Ford instead (I kid you not, that is almost a direct quote). They urge viewers to test drive it for a day, then test drive a Tesla because the charging network will convince you to go Tesla.
I watched the first 10 minutes and then skipped to this bit.

Ford have made the Mache so it's EV but not too good so the customers realise they are better off staying with Ford non EV cars as you say appears to be their logic!

And also because Ford can't build them quickly enough?

Even though they have a deadline here in the UK of move to hyrid and then fully electric they pumped a bucket load of money into creating the mache but want people to not buy it!

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Yet when I test drive a Mach-E soon I'll check out what they were highlighting concerning silent disengagement. As long as the steering wheel vibrates, I'm being notified. It doesn't have to be audible, but it does need to alert me.
On my Mach E, when lane centering disengages, there's audible feedback. The sound is impossible to miss.

On Mach E, one cannot turn on lane centering without enabling cruise control. There's one button on the steering wheel, which controls lane departure warning/assist (when cruise control is off) and lane centering (when cruise control is on). On my Mach E, the lane departure warning/assist is configured to warning only when I got the car. It can be configured to compensatory steer and the warning level can also be configured. The default vibration is admittedly quite subtle and takes a little learning to be aware of.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have no plans to charge mache at public DC station.
Neither will I when I get mine. I live on a 35 x 100 miles Island, and a 300 miles range will last me a month. Visiting a public charge station is worse than visiting a gas station. I want to totally avoĂ­d external energy sources, which is one reason we all want to go electric. Most of us will only charge at home.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
That depends how you react to the comparison. If you defend the Teslas over the Ford, you are one of them.

ReidB

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that make things "all or nothing". You are either in "this" camp or "that" camp.

I test drove a MY and it was a fun car. The tech was cool and it seemed cool to have a credit card as a key.

In the end I chose a Mach E because it feels more me. It has character. It doesn't feel sterile. My daughter loves it. She told me she would rather be dropped off at school in the Mach E then the MY. How can someone say no to that?

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that make things "all or nothing". You are either in "this" camp or "that" camp.

I test drove a MY and it was a fun car. The tech was cool and it seemed cool to have a credit card as a key.

In the end I chose a Mach E because it feels more me. It has character. It doesn't feel sterile. My daughter loves it. She told me she would rather be dropped off at school in the Mach E then the MY. How can someone say no to that?
You're a great example of selecting the best choice FOR YOU! I couldn't be happier for you.

Sadly, if you're enthusiastic about your car choice, some will take that as defensive over another brand. Even worse, some can't deal with anyone not making the same choice as they do. And the bashing begins.

I just wish more people would understand that any of us can be excited about our choice (positive bias as @Mach-E VLOG has mentioned) without having to hold back because someone will take it wrong.

Maybe the key is pointing out the positive about our choice without bashing others' choices. And you have one of the best I've ever heard!

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag

LOL. My grandkids, 7 and 12, beg me to drop them off and pick them up from school. I had a guy stop me in the parking lot of Arby's this weekend to ask me questions. He talked to me for 45 minutes, asking different questions about the car and commenting about a test drive he had - all of it positive comments.

I have never owned a car that has gotten this kind of reaction. I know Tesla had some of that cachet when they first came out, but I think the MME is capturing people's imaginations and interest like very few other cars right now.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
It seems to be the car for the moment.
I notice more articles coming out that compare to the mach-e then have a note about the model Y. Won't last forever.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Lexus CT200h
Country flag
Well, it was bound to happen. Zac and Jessie borrowed a friend's Mach E (Andrew) for a day to "review" it. Andrew is a Tesla owner, and loves his Mach E. So what do Zac and Jessie have to say? Come on, you already know the answer. They do give some valid criticisms, but it's hard to sift through all the hate and vitriol to all things not Tesla for a valid review.

TL;DR:
It would have been a good competitor to Tesla if it were released in 2016. Ford clearly made the car to scare away EV buyers and convince them to buy an ICE Ford instead (I kid you not, that is almost a direct quote). They urge viewers to test drive it for a day, then test drive a Tesla because the charging network will convince you to go Tesla.

When they can't even get the name right of one of the main features (calling CoPilot ProPilot many times), I can only assume they didn't take this seriously. I didn't watch the whole thing and mostly skipped ahead, but they seemed to look for reasons to hate on the Mach-E. No credibility.
I couldn’t agree more. They didn’t even bother to make a half attempt to learn anything about the vehicle. Their minds were made up before they started filming.
Sponsored