Ford - Make the 'Volume' button so much MORE...

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
This has been mentioned in several places (so I take no credit for it), but I thought it was a home-run idea and hope Ford implements it in an OTA.

I figured that if we consolidate this into it's own thread we can get more concentrated feedback and opinions...

The idea:

The 'volume' knob should NOT just be for volume - it should dynamically change based on function. Examples:
> When you select a radio channel it acts as a volume dial.
> When you press the fan control, it adjusts the fan speed.
> When you select the temperature, it adjusts that.

I'm sure others can think of many more uses and I'd think it would be achievable via software update(s) by Ford.
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Like the way the original iPod worked - it had two inputs: a rotating knob and a button in the middle of that knob. Everything about the iPod could be controlled by those two inputs.

FORD HAS THOSE SAME INPUTS!!!

When driving, tactile is king. I was SO happy that Ford gave us a physical knob for volume so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to operate it. But it could do so much more like you said.

(However, I do have to wonder: does Apple have a patent? That could be why.)

OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Even if they didn't use the center of the dial as an 'Enter' command I doubt there would be anything stopping them from using the dial to adjust more than just Volume.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Even if they didn't use the center of the dial as an 'Enter' command I doubt there would be anything stopping them from using the dial to adjust more than just Volume.
The dial itself also "clicks" when you push it, doesn't it?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The dial itself also "clicks" when you push it, doesn't it?
I pointed that out a while back and the consensus was that I had a defective dial ?

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I agree with all these suggestions, but what really irritates me is how all these reviewers suggest that a volume knob isn't necessary when there are buttons on the steering wheel. Really? Ever turn on a car only to discover the last audio setting was TOO LOUD? I have, and it's *much* easier and faster to spin the volume knob all the way to the left than to start fiddling with steering wheel buttons or touch screen options.

Bless Ford for including a "physical" volume knob! {Jonathan}

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Isn't one on the steering wheel too. I love knobs, but if they move them to the steering wheel... OK.

Once upon a time everything was on the dash, and the high beam switch was under your left foot.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I've had my car since early march. I have not once seen any use for the "OK" button on the volume knob pop up. Useless. Please at least make it a Mute button.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This was mentioned in a video with Darren Palmer a while back. He basically said that the dial will just control volume at launch but more functionality can be added OTA later. He didn't promise anything, but the implication was that the dial will do more at some point.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
This was mentioned in a video with Darren Palmer a while back. He basically said that the dial will just control volume at launch but more functionality can be added OTA later. He didn't promise anything, but the implication was that the dial will do more at some point.
Good to know they’re at least thinking about this. I am a huge fan of the physical volume knob and it could be even more of a home run if it was multipurpose. Seems like a very easy thing to implement: if you touch another function like fan speed or temp, the knob controls that for a couple seconds. This was one of the most popular requests when we did that poll a few weeks ago.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I pointed that out a while back and the consensus was that I had a defective dial ?
That was a false consensus then because mine clicks in also. It even feels normal.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I've had my car since early march. I have not once seen any use for the "OK" button on the volume knob pop up. Useless. Please at least make it a Mute button.
Don't we have Mute on the steering wheel? I'll have to check

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, let's make the volume knob into something customizable similar to the Surface Dial! I don't use my Surface Dial at home as much as I should, but I can see plenty of ways this type of customizable dial experience could come in handy in the car! Controlling fan/blower speed, as was mentioned above, would be so much easier with a dial, than fiddling with the touch screen.
surface_dial.jpg
Sponsored