Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I plugged my MME (standard range) last night at 7:51pm at 37%.

I woke up this morning expecting it to be at 90% (as usual) but it was only at 74%.

I went out to see what the issue was an the mobile charge had 1 Amber Light and 1 Blue light. In looking at the charger manual, it appears that that light combination indicates the charging has been reduced to do the mobile charger overheating.

I've had my MME for a month now with no charging issues. The mobile charger is in the garage where it was colder than usual last night due to the weather (good ole Seattle rain!).

Anyone else run into an issue like this? I unplugged the MME and mobile charger from the wall, plugged everything back in and it's been fine all morning.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

I woke up this morning expecting it to be at 90% (as usual) but it was only at 74%.

I went out to see what the issue was an the mobile charge had 1 Amber Light and 1 Blue light. In looking at the charger manual, it appears that that light combination indicates the charging has been reduced to do the mobile charger overheating.

I've had my MME for a month now with no charging issues. The mobile charger is in the garage where it was colder than usual last night due to the weather (good ole Seattle rain!).

Anyone else run into an issue like this? I unplugged the MME and mobile charger from the wall, plugged everything back in and it's been fine all morning.
I've been watching for issues like this since summers here are quite hot (Phoenix). Yours is the first I've seen to show those indicators.

When did the indicators reset back to normal? After unplugging the car, or did you have to reset the EVSE (mobile charger) itself?

Do you happen to know what wiring is used in your 14-50 circuit (e.g. NM-B 6-3 in wall, or THHN 6-ga. in conduit)?

Are the wire connections nice and tight? If you're comfortable inspecting it, I'd be curious to know if there is any charring or burnt insulation.

If the wiring is good, maybe there is something defective with the mobile charger.

OP
OP
KennyCaphill

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I've been watching for issues like this since summers here are quite hot (Phoenix). Yours is the first I've seen to show those indicators.

When did the indicators reset back to normal? After unplugging the car, or did you have to reset the EVSE (mobile charger) itself?

Do you happen to know what wiring is used in your 14-50 circuit (e.g. NM-B 6-3 in wall, or THHN 6-ga. in conduit)?

Are the wire connections nice and tight? If you're comfortable inspecting it, I'd be curious to know if there is any charring or burnt insulation.

If the wiring is good, maybe there is something defective with the mobile charger.
When I saw that there was an issue, I unplugged the car and then unplugged the mobile charger from the 240v outlet. I plugged the charger back and then the car and the light immediately went back to pulsing blue.

I don't know what kind of wiring was used in the outlet...electricity and I are very much strangers.

The only thing I can think of that was different that night was the charging cord was at a very odd angle from normal and I didn't think anything of it.

I had to install the mobile charger upside down due to space constraints and the charging cable, that night, was coming out of the charger at a near right angle so maybe that put some odd strain on it? I know drape the cable over a hook above it to give it a better angle on the cable and take some pressure off of it when I charge instead of it being pulled at an odd angle out of the charger. I haven't had an issue since.

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag

hi, did you ever get this fixed. I’m having the exact same problem now after one month of ownership. Everything has been great for first month.

I woke up this morning expecting to be at my designated SOC (90%), but it was only 62%

I checked the charger box and it had an amber light and pulsing blue. According to the manual this is overheating.

my garage is 35degrees (Michigan winter). The box is warm to the touch but not HOT.

I had the 240v with 60am breaker professionally installed about 3 weeks ago.

now I’m charging at what seems to be at only 2kw per hour as opposed to the 7ish I was getting.

any ideas?

5BF8F8F9-6214-48FC-9FD6-B9F2E4D99604.jpeg

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Sounds like an internal problem with the FMC. Take a picture of the lights (because you know it won't repeat at the dealer!) then take it to your dealer.

Also, a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 60A breaker is not NEC-compliant.

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag
Sounds like an internal problem with the FMC. Take a picture of the lights (because you know it won't repeat at the dealer!) then take it to your dealer.

Also, a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 60A breaker is not NEC-compliant.
Thanks for the reply. Ref your comment about 14-50 not being compliant how would any of these charter companies claim to provide 48 or 50 amp service on a 14-50 receptacle without it being on a 60amp breaker with the assumption there is a 20% loss from the breaker to the outlet meaning 60amp breaker only delivering 48amp to the 14-50 receptacle?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Ref your comment about 14-50 not being compliant how would any of these charter companies claim to provide 48 or 50 amp service on a 14-50 receptacle without it being on a 60amp breaker with the assumption there is a 20% loss from the breaker to the outlet meaning 60amp breaker only delivering 48amp to the 14-50 receptacle?
It's not about loss, the NEC has a rule about derating to 80% for continuous duty (more than 3 hours) equipment.

All 48A EVSEs that I've seen are designed to be hard-wired (no receptacle) on a 60A circuit.

There is a lot of confusion in this area.

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag
It's not about loss, the NEC has a rule about derating to 80% for continuous duty (more than 3 hours) equipment.

All 48A EVSEs that I've seen are designed to be hard-wired (no receptacle) on a 60A circuit.

There is a lot of confusion in this area.

Thank you so much. I just read several articles about this. Incredibly helpful!

I’m unplugging right now and going to swap out to a 50am 240v breaker.

I wonder if that is causing my “overheating” issue?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much. I just read several articles about this. Incredibly helpful!

I’m unplugging right now and going to swap out to a 50am 240v breaker.

I wonder if that is causing my “overheating” issue?
No - that won’t cause your problem. I’d bet money on a fault inside the EVSE.

In fact, under normal operation, the oversized breaker will never cause any problem. It’s only when something goes south causing an overload will there be a problem. Or when a garage fire occurs totally unrelated to this circuit, but the insurance company tries to use the violation to deny the claim!

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag

In fact, under normal operation, the oversized breaker will never cause any problem. It’s only when something goes south causing an overload will there be a problem. Or when a garage fire occurs totally unrelated to this circuit, but the insurance company tries to use the violation to deny the claim!
From what I’ve read that would seem to be the case. Again, thanks a lot for commenting. I will definitely hardwire my charge point 50amp when it comes and not plug it in to the 14-50R.

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag

oh, here is another indication of something screwy going on. Look at the SOC (90%) started at 26% last night at midnight, and look at the miles added, and then look at the kWH added.

24BC7654-5486-4823-AE41-D33CD549FD5A.jpeg

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
oh, here is another indication of something screwy going on. Look at the SOC (90%) started at 26% last night at midnight, and look at the miles added, and then look at the kWH added.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mobile Charger - 1 Amber light 1 Blue Light 24BC7654-5486-4823-AE41-D33CD549FD5A
Charge logs in FordPass are not reliable, at least in my experience.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Try unplugging the charger from the wall, then unplug the two halves, and reseat it. Many issues where it's not all the way clicked in.

OP
OP
KennyCaphill

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
All I did was replug in the mobile charger and no issues since.
Sponsored