RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Like a few others have reported, my mobile charger that came with my MME in March 2021 has started to show an amber light while charging, and reduced charging speed. I took some screenshots tonight while it was charging showing with finish time moving further and further into the future as it charges I also got a time lapse pointed at the charger showing the amber light blinking.

Are folks having any luck with their dealers in this? Or do I need to start shopping for a home and a travel EVSE?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mobile Charger Amber Light Screenshot_20220506-212853
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mobile Charger Amber Light Screenshot_20220506-232816

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
3 year warranty.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
As per the relevant section in the handbook and various replies on the forum, this is not a fault. It generally means that the charger is getting hot and reduces the amount of charge it delivers so to try and cool down. Would you rather it just shut down completely and not charge at all.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Just got mine replaced under warranty. No amber light on first charge.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Just got mine replaced under warranty. No amber light on first charge.
Did you do this through your dealer, or through some Ford corporate channel?

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I found this happening a few times and basically if you unplug it and plug it back in it should go green if it doesn't then you could. Also I've noticed it when that happens the charge ring he could be part of the problem. I had that replaced.

JayGanz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Extended Battery
Country flag
The solid amber is resolved by unplugging the unit. Mine also is experiencing the simultaneous amber/blue pulsing which indicates reduced charging. When it does this, the unit/plug/cord are barely warm. I took my car and charger to a dealer who held them for 5 days and gave them back without resolution (and according to the charge log managed to plug it in twice during those 5 days). I don't believe they actually looked at the charger warning lights, but just plugged it in, walked away and came back a little later to see it had done some charging.

Ford corporate now says I need to take car/charger to another dealer and see what they say. I do not believe it is my wiring as a 40A Grizzl-E works without error and I have also checked all wire connections. Ford says there is no problem with the car, so that leaves the charger.

I am so frustrated that Ford wants me to give up my car for 10 days to get a charger replaced. I am supposed to rent a car for 10 days to get a $400 charger replaced under warranty?

VirgilBoy21MME

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired ATC
Country flag
I have recently been affected with the same amber error LED coming on. Just at the 5 month mark of taking delivery.

Tried unplugging from Mach-E, unplugging from 240v receptacle, removing 240 v connector from control box and reconnecting, toggled circuit breaker off and on. Did not help.

I borrowed a neighbour's Ford Mobile Charger from his brand new Mach-E. Left charging for 90 minutes with no amber LED coming on. Ambient temperature was higher than when my charger had the issues.

Went to the dealer yesterday and explained what was going on and my troubleshooting efforts, to the EV certified tech. He didn't ask to test my charger in the shop, and has ordered a replacement charger for me.

I must have an honest face!!

Now I have to wait for an unknown time for the replacement, since it is not in stock at the area warehouse. I expect to be able to limp through with the reduced charge rate and longer charging time needed.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have recently been affected with the same amber error LED coming on. Just at the 5 month mark of taking delivery.

Tried unplugging from Mach-E, unplugging from 240v receptacle, removing 240 v connector from control box and reconnecting, toggled circuit breaker off and on. Did not help.

I borrowed a neighbour's Ford Mobile Charger from his brand new Mach-E. Left charging for 90 minutes with no amber LED coming on. Ambient temperature was higher than when my charger had the issues.

Went to the dealer yesterday and explained what was going on and my troubleshooting efforts, to the EV certified tech. He didn't ask to test my charger in the shop, and has ordered a replacement charger for me.

I must have an honest face!!

Now I have to wait for an unknown time for the replacement, since it is not in stock at the area warehouse. I expect to be able to limp through with the reduced charge rate and longer charging time needed.
My car is at the dealer currently for a few issues, and this is one of them. I quit using the travel cord in January because it would fault amber every time I used it (240V). Checked breaker, wiring, outlet, cable, unit, cord, connector, and port, and nothing was even warm. Service department has car and charge cord for 4-1/2 weeks now (other issues as well). Did you ever get a replacement?

Last edited:

VirgilBoy21MME

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired ATC
Country flag
I explained to the EV technician what was going on and what testing and comparisons I had done. He accepted that and placed the order under warranty

ImVeryLost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GMC Canyon AT4, 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Prem
Country flag
Posting because at 4,098 miles my MME had the Amber charge light WITH the "Service me soon" light. Would not charge what so ever, even using 3 different chargers. No faults on any charger, (obviously, car even recognizes it's own issue) - turns out it was an Update that never got loaded to the vehicle from the OTA system. Kind of infuriating how missing an update completely disabled charging on my vehicle, Ford.. could have left me stranded!

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Posting because at 4,098 miles my MME had the Amber charge light WITH the "Service me soon" light. Would not charge what so ever, even using 3 different chargers. No faults on any charger, (obviously, car even recognizes it's own issue) - turns out it was an Update that never got loaded to the vehicle from the OTA system. Kind of infuriating how missing an update completely disabled charging on my vehicle, Ford.. could have left me stranded!
That would be infuriating.
Have you scheduled software updates for a time when you don't use the MME? I scheduled OTAs for 4 a.m. because this provides a 3-hour window for OTAs when we typically would not use the MME. You could always schedule earlier to provide a longer software update window.

I will say that Ford may still push out "not required" OTAs outside of the scheduled window. I spoke to a representative about this. Told her that regardless of whether the OTA is required or not, my assumption is that the OTA would only occur during the time frame I selected - that is the entire point of scheduling the OTA. She assured me that required OTAs would be pushed to the MME during the scheduled window. Hmmm...Confidence is low. Another example of Ford overruling owner's decisions, without informing owners or providing reasons.
Sponsored