Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
That's the one that comes with the car right? Have they ever announced how much the other one would be? I'm assuming you can add that into the purchase price/financing if you choose to add it at purchase?
Did you look at the attachment? There is information about two EVSE. The mobile and the permanent.
Sponsored

Reactions: WEH
OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
The 50 in 14-50 stands for 50 Amp, so no, you can't use it on a 60A circuit (60A breaker).
It will only draw the amps that it needs. As long as the gauge of the wire fits, there’s technically no reason it won’t work as a temp measure. 14-50 is rated for 50amps, but using the mobile charger won’t pull close to that, let alone 60amps. It’s not like the 60amp breaker will broadcast 60amps to the 50amp plug as soon as it’s turned on...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It will only draw the amps that it needs. As long as the gauge of the wire fits, there’s technically no reason it won’t work as a temp measure. 14-50 is rated for 50amps, but using the mobile charger won’t pull close to that, let alone 60amps. It’s not like the 60amp breaker will broadcast 60amps to the 50amp plug as soon as it’s turned on...
My comment was in response to their question about the "Ford Charger", which in context meant the Ford Connected Charger - which is a 48A charger requiring a 60A circuit. You should not have a 50A receptacle on a 60A circuit, nor could you use the Ford Connected charger with a 50A plug (it's hardwire only).

If you just want to use a 60A circuit/wiring with an L14-50 receptacle and the Ford Mobile charger, sure thing.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Assuming the electrician doesn't balk at installing a 14-50 outlet onto a 60A circuit. Even though the wiring is (more than) sufficient, I don't know for sure if an electrician would be OK mis-matching an outlet like that. YMMV.

If they're OK doing that, and when it's time later to take out that outlet and hardwire the Ford Connected Charger directly, it would save a little to pre-plan the placement on the wall now. That way, the Ford Connected Charger could just be placed right over the top of the outlet box rather than needing new wiring and conduit (assuming the outlet box is flush-mount inside the wall).
I've spoken to a couple electricians for quotes, and they can use the right gage wires to support 60A. The key thing is the breaker must he 50A (or 40A for that matter) when you have the outlet installed. Once you go hardwire, you can change the breaker to 60A (assuming the panel has capacity).

+1 on the point to determine where you would want the charger to go. If you go the outlet route, they'll install a junction box for the outlet anyway, so adding a bit more conduit and some more wires shouldn't take that much time/effort. Or depending on placement you just rip out the junction box and hardwire right from there.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Assuming the electrician doesn't balk at installing a 14-50 outlet onto a 60A circuit. Even though the wiring is (more than) sufficient, I don't know for sure if an electrician would be OK mis-matching an outlet like that. YMMV.
The inspector would fail the install for that

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Hello
I want to install the 240v wiring sooner than later so I am not caught without a charge capability. I am going to eventually put in the Ford charge station but I just want to start with a Nema 14-50 outlet. Can I put in the wiring for the 60A ford charger and for now install the 14-50 outlet and use the Ford Mobile charger that comes with the car. Sure I know it will be slower with the 14-50 outlet but will it work with the 60A wiring? Thanks for any comments.

I know several people have pointed this out already, but as it is a safety issue I feel it justifies an additional reply versus just up voting the good replies.

Please please please, do not install an outlet (or wire or anything) that is rated less than the set point of the breaker into a circuit.

If your breaker is set to try at 60 amps, it will still work if you use a plug rated for 50 BUT IT ISN'T SAFE. Sure, if everything works as intended you won't need the breaker to trip, but breakers aren't there for when everything works correctly. They are a safety device, there to protect you and your home when something goes wrong.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I know several people have pointed this out already, but as it is a safety issue I feel it justifies an additional reply versus just up voting the good replies.

Please please please, do not install an outlet (or wire or anything) that is rated less than the set point of the breaker into a circuit.

If your breaker is set to try at 60 amps, it will still work if you use a plug rated for 50 BUT IT ISN'T SAFE. Sure, if everything works as intended you won't need the breaker to trip, but breakers aren't there for when everything works correctly. They are a safety device, there to protect you and your home when something goes wrong.
Not to mention, breakers (non GFCI) are pretty cheap, so no reason not to stick a 50A breaker on while using a 50A receptacle and simply replace it with a 60A breaker once you get a 48A hardwired EVSE (assuming you've installed with wire appropriate for a 60A circuit).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

and it is ABSOLUTELY against electrical code.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Thank you now I can plan accordingly.
Depending on how many miles you drive a day, you can also get a Grizzl-e, or various others (JuiceBox, Clipper Creek) that charge faster than the included mobile charger but still use a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Just remember there's a 30% (US) federal tax credit on any charger and/or installation cost (like a circuit/outlet) that expires at the end of 2020. So if your Mach-E won't come until 2021, you'd save money just buying and installing it now.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf
I've been thinking a lot about this. I know y'all are not accountants, but is the thought that we could do outlet only, and not install an EVSE for this year, and use the 30% tax credit just on the outlet install?

And if so, does it feel reasonable to also take that 30% tax credit on the install of a sub-panel to feed that outlet? Or just the outlet coming from the eventual panel?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've been thinking a lot about this. I know y'all are not accountants, but is the thought that we could do outlet only, and not install an EVSE for this year, and use the 30% tax credit just on the outlet install?

And if so, does it feel reasonable to also take that 30% tax credit on the install of a sub-panel to feed that outlet? Or just the outlet coming from the eventual panel?
It should be all the work required.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

yes, you can absolutely do that

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
My comment was in response to their question about the "Ford Charger", which in context meant the Ford Connected Charger - which is a 48A charger requiring a 60A circuit. You should not have a 50A receptacle on a 60A circuit, nor could you use the Ford Connected charger with a 50A plug (it's hardwire only).

If you just want to use a 60A circuit/wiring with an L14-50 receptacle and the Ford Mobile charger, sure thing.
Depending on how many miles you drive a day, you can also get a Grizzl-e, or various others (JuiceBox, Clipper Creek) that charge faster than the included mobile charger but still use a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Consider also the Charge Point Flex Home charger. No need to hard wire it and it is a smart charger also.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

Yes it sounds reasonable. Since it's up to $1000 credit, you may also consider just buying an EVSE as well..

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

As others have said, I expect that's a Yes. If audited or rejected, we could just say "I planned to get the EVSE this year too, that comes included with the car, but the car was delayed into 2021, so all I could set up in 2020 was the wiring". Which is true.

But as with all things taxes, it's up to interpretation, and the reasonableness of the IRS person you're dealing with. Anything in fuzzy territory like this is not 100% sure and consistent either way. But OTOH, the odds of the IRS even kicking it out for review in the first place are probably like 1%, I would guess. And even if it were kicked out for review, I'd be quite surprised if it weren't accepted as a valid claim.
Sponsored