TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes it sounds reasonable. Since it's up to $1000 credit, you may also consider just buying an EVSE as well..
That's why I just went ahead and got one. I was gonna wait to see if I even wanted to bother buying one, or just use the included one. But 30% off a $400 Grizzl-E makes it just $280. Too good to pass up. So I just got it (and the wiring install) this year. For a few hundred more the electrician added a whole-home surge protector too, and I'll just claim the whole bill ($1266) for the credit, along with the $400 Grizzl-E.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As others have said, I expect that's a Yes. If audited or rejected, we could just say "I planned to get the EVSE this year too, that comes included with the car, but the car was delayed into 2021, so all I could set up in 2020 was the wiring". Which is true.

But as with all things taxes, it's up to interpretation, and the reasonableness of the IRS person you're dealing with. Anything in fuzzy territory like this is not 100% sure and consistent either way. But OTOH, the odds of the IRS even kicking it out for review in the first place are probably like 1%, I would guess. And even if it were kicked out for review, I'd be quite surprised if it weren't accepted as a valid claim.
If the same "in service" rules apply as the vehicle, your charging station is still in service even if you aren't using it for your new car yet.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This is very similar content to another thread which I replied to over there...

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...aration-and-installing-charger.610/post-56334

If you want to 'future-proof' your installation, you can oversize your wire and conduit to accommodate 60 A, but if you're going to connect the wiring to a NEMA 14-50 outlet, you MUST use a 50 A breaker. A circuit breaker is a protection device that is there to protect the wiring and outlet. I agree that the Mobile Charger will only pull 32 A, but the breaker isn't there for 'normal' operations. It's a safety device that protects your house from a failure condition. It's not worth saving the $15 on a circuit breaker to have your house burn down and not have insurance cover it because you installed a breaker not up to code.

Long story short, if you want, install cable and conduit rated for 60 A to a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a 50 A breaker (should also be GFCI). Then in the future, when you want to hardwire a charger, then replace the outlet with the charger and the 50 A GFCI breaker with a 60 A regular (non-GFCI) breaker.

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
This is very similar content to another thread which I replied to over there...

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...aration-and-installing-charger.610/post-56334

If you want to 'future-proof' your installation, you can oversize your wire and conduit to accommodate 60 A, but if you're going to connect the wiring to a NEMA 14-50 outlet, you MUST use a 50 A breaker. A circuit breaker is a protection device that is there to protect the wiring and outlet. I agree that the Mobile Charger will only pull 32 A, but the breaker isn't there for 'normal' operations. It's a safety device that protects your house from a failure condition. It's not worth saving the $15 on a circuit breaker to have your house burn down and not have insurance cover it because you installed a breaker not up to code.

Long story short, if you want, install cable and conduit rated for 60 A to a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a 50 A breaker (should also be GFCI). Then in the future, when you want to hardwire a charger, then replace the outlet with the charger and the 50 A GFCI breaker with a 60 A regular (non-GFCI) breaker.
Yes that's what I'm saying. It would be dumb, anyway, to put a 60amp breaker in (GFCI, more expensive) to work with the mobile charger which requires GFCI, and replace it with a non-GFCI 60amp breaker when you install the connected charger. There's nothing wrong with oversizing your wiring a little to futureproof the line.

burtonhen

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SW Mach-e Select AWD
Country flag
Has anyone seen if Ford is selling an extra mounting bracket for the mobile charger separately? I can’t find it on Ford Parts and I’d like to put a second one in at my father-in-law’s to dock the charger when we visit. I already ordered a 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for his welding plug.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

hook13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
trying to install, how do you get the cosmetic cover off? came on, don't see any screws and feels like it will break if I keep yanking on it-

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
trying to install, how do you get the cosmetic cover off? came on, don't see any screws and feels like it will break if I keep yanking on it-
By cosmetic cover, you mean the white plastic cover that has the large Ford logo?

It's a plastic snap on fit but held with lots of snap points distributed around the circumference of the white plastic lid.

You may need a gentle pry tool and a lottttt of patience.

hook13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
By cosmetic cover, you mean the white plastic cover that has the large Ford logo?

It's a plastic snap on fit but held with lots of snap points distributed around the circumference of the white plastic lid.

You may need a gentle pry tool and a lottttt of patience.
Good advice, had to use screwdriver to gently pry off on the side...probably easier to take on/off if wall mounted....was not easy to get off!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Good advice, had to use screwdriver to gently pry off on the side...probably easier to take on/off if wall mounted....was not easy to get off!
It's much more difficult once wall mounted, probably by design but it's a frustrating aspect. I may take off the beauty cover at some point and leave it off permanently.