Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hang on, Stop this bus.
That thread is a recounting of a verbal conversation someone recalled having with a customer service representative. That information and the fact that it was shared for others to read is gibberish and a waste of everyone's time.
Hardly an official or quoted statement from Ford.
Continue as you were and use any EVSE device that conforms to the J-1772 spec, and don't perpetuate things like this in other places.
Hardly gibberish.

Check out the magnuson moss act. If you use aftermarket parts and they damage your car, you could be denied a warranty claim.

It’s pretty unlikely to happen, and would also be hard for Ford to prove which charger you were using, but yes, If an aftermarket charger somehow fries your car…… you could lose out on a warranty claim.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hardly gibberish.

Check out the magnuson moss act. If you use aftermarket parts and they damage your car, you could be denied a warranty claim.

It’s pretty unlikely to happen, and would also be hard for Ford to prove which charger you were using, but yes, If an aftermarket charger somehow fries your car…… you could lose out on a warranty claim.
The only way an EVSE can damage your car is if it catches fire and the fire spreads to the car.

All an EVSE does is tell the car the max amperage that's available and turn the AC power to the car on or off. Even if for some reason it doesnt switch off when it's supposed to, the car won't use any power if it's not needed. Everything is controlled by the charger in the car.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
Since this thread is almost fully off the rails I thought I'd share my fully unscientific experiment I did the other night.

Put a clamp on meter on one of the hot wires in the box and started a charge. Observations: Current climbs slow from 0-29 amps and held steady at 29 amps, probably took 10 seconds to reach 29. After about maybe 5 minutes(didn't time it) the amber light on the evse came on and current dropped to 20 amps. Thermal showed the hot spots on the charger to be in the high 100 teens. 80ish in the garage. After an undetermined amount of time the amber light would go off and current would go back up to 29 amps and then would cycle between fault 20amps and ok. Let it be for a while and came back to amber light on and pulling 14 amps with temps over 120 on the charger. I watched for a little while and it cycled between amber light on 14 to 20 back to 14 and sometimes amber light off 29 amps. At no time durring any of this cycling did I notice any appreciable cooling going on in the charger, at the plug or anywhere that would cause the fault to clear.

Now this part may be coincidental but it seemed every so often if I moved, jostled or smacked the evse it would immediatly change to a different charge rate either higher or lower. Not 100% of the time but often enought for me to say "I don't know" and give up for the night.

Also. Pressing the black switch on the nozzle causes current to immediately drop to zero.

Last edited:

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
it's a mobile charger for the trunk, it's name couldn't be more clear... Why is this even a post? You want daily, HD charging, get a real wall mounted HD charger???
Except Ford ships it with a bracket to mount it to the wall. Doesn't seem so mobile.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hang on, Stop this bus.
That thread is a recounting of a verbal conversation someone recalled having with a customer service representative. That information and the fact that it was shared for others to read is gibberish and a waste of everyone's time.
Hardly an official or quoted statement from Ford.
Continue as you were and use any EVSE device that conforms to the J-1772 spec, and don't perpetuate things like this in other places.
If that were the case where they void warranty how does Ford intend to handle people charging away from home on a road trip? Complete non-sense.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The only way an EVSE can damage your car is if it catches fire and the fire spreads to the car.

All an EVSE does is tell the car the max amperage that's available and turn the AC power to the car on or off. Even if for some reason it doesnt switch off when it's supposed to, the car won't use any power if it's not needed. Everything is controlled by the charger in the car.
Again, it’s unlikely. But if something like that happened, expect a denied warranty claim.

We have seen a Ford charger that exploded posted here! (Luckily no car damage).

Fsisung

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT, Volvo XC 90, Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you have an un heated garage or will be mounting the EVSE outdoors, make sure you get one with a pliable cord such as the ChargePoint. JuiceBox and others have a cord that gets quite stiff in colder temperatures.

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
If you have an un heated garage or will be mounting the EVSE outdoors, make sure you get one with a pliable cord such as the ChargePoint. JuiceBox and others have a cord that gets quite stiff in colder temperatures.
Do you or anyone else know if the Grizzl-E chargers have pliable cords that are suitable for outdoor placement?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Do you or anyone else know if the Grizzl-E chargers have pliable cords that are suitable for outdoor placement?
The premium cable option for the Grizzl-e is designed for use in the cold. I find it easy to use in the winter.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
For those who want data (since we all go to public online forums for detailed, peer reviewed hard data), I've only had one issue with it...

PXL_20220218_061934220.MP.jpg

Before that it worked like a charm for about a year..

So.. it didn't explode on me 99.7% of the time...
I would love to see what the connection looks like inside the unit where the cable comes out of the EVSE going to the J1772 connector. That is the end of my unit that is hottest by far. I worry that the connection is loose and could cause a fire if I continue to use mine over time.

Is it possible to for you to see where those cables connect inside yours being the cover has already come off most of the way?

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
just dropped off my car at dealership, for the defective charger and 21P22 software update... the mobile charger is not labelled "use less than 2 hours a week" ;) other manufacturers (tesla etc.) have similar mobile chargers and they don't go bad after several months.
I got my car back after only 24 hours, and they claimed to have fixed the issue, as well as finished 21P22 software updates.
they didn't replace the mobile charger, but said they pulled code p1a3c, and performed TSB 22-2057 to address the issue by updating OBCC module software. however, if I understand correctly, OBCC is off-board charging module, for DC charging. they charged my car to 100% (from about 65%). I'll try my charger again after I drop the SOC to <80%.

Bullitt_&_MME

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
Except Ford ships it with a bracket to mount it to the wall. Doesn't seem so mobile.
the bracket is there to hold it while it's charging, and not having to lay it on your garage floor and/or driveway... How is this so hard for everyone to understand? The hanger is them just being courteous if you intend on using it routinely in the same spot from time to time, but it's MOBILE and comes in a bag in the TRUNK for you to take off the hook, throw in your trunk and have it to take on vacation, a commute, business-travel, etc.

Fsisung

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT, Volvo XC 90, Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi
I don’t know about the Grizzl-E. You might want to contact the manufacturer. I almost bought a JuiceBox but found out through watching a YouTube video comparing chargers that the cable becomes stiff in cold weather. The ChargePoint does not. This I bought the ChargePoint. It works great!

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
To put some perspective...
The Ford charger is illegal for everyday use in Norway, and that's even when limited to 2kW. Can only be used ad-hoc in the case of emergency, and not recommended to leave it unattended.

Mandatory to install a permanent EVSE (grizzl-e would not qualify, from what I can tell) on a dedicated circuit. My EVSE is 11kW (3x 16A@230V).

But the electrical systems differ, not just in voltage, so not entirely apples to apples.

Last edited:

MightyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE/Acura RDX/Saturn Ion
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I had a mobile charger for my volt that I used every day for 3 years (before it broke).

I now use the ford charger to charge my volt (and my mach-e), but intend to get a higher amp charger for a more permanent mounting.

So maybe 3 years of daily use is a single data point for length of use.

Mike
Sponsored